Snow?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Snow?

This place needs an enema

Snow?

Anyone know of anyplace in the state this has enough pack to be grooming sledneck or nordic ninny trails yet?

Looking for a destination for T-Giving weekend. Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

MC

Waiting for Godot
    mike here in salt lake and i'm talking up millcreek also, where you would do that, its been really warm this week and its all melting fast. the upper trails have snow, but some dirt patches might be showing tommorow or the next day.

can't talk for park city, but i would guess the same unless some of the resorts are blowing snow on the nights its getting cold enough.

alta, snowbird, brighton have had snowboarding for the last two weeks, but that should be getting thin soon as well. i only ride by on the bike up there and havn't skinny skied as i am too cheap to pay for that when there are bike parts to buy.
    Out riding, leave a message

Bored Carp
    There aren't any nordic trails open yet, and they plowed Millcreek so that they could drive the yurt up to the top, so no-go in that canyon. This is your best source for local grooming reports:

http://www.utahnordic.com/ski_condit...conditions.htm

West Yellowstone has a Nerdic Ski festival during the Thanksgiving weekend every year. If you haven't done any skiing up there, and you are a nordic skiier, you owe it to yourself to check it out - great trail system, JMH and I really like them:

http://www.rendezvousskitrails.com/report.html
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Anyone know of anyplace in the state this has enough pack to be grooming sledneck or nordic ninny trails yet?

Looking for a destination for T-Giving weekend. Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

MC
    It's a long drive, but that's the weekend of the West Yellowstone festival. Head up there!
    I just got some new 291cm skis... I think in the next few years everyone will ditch their "kiddie" skis in favor of the added stability and flow of of "big" skis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    alta, snowbird, brighton have had snowboarding for the last two weeks
    Alta is for poachers!

I think the next storms are predicted for Thanksgiving day, or maybe the Wednesday before then. Of course that assumes you actually believe in weatherfairies. Probably nothing ready around here until after we see what happens with this. Good luck.

mtbr member

I could be wrong...

Maybe I'm not reading everyone's posts right, but I highly doubt Mikesee is looking for a place to pull out some skinny (or even) fatty skis. I'm sure he's wanting to be pulling out his fatty Moots to do some long trail rides on groomed sledneck tracks or ski tracks. But again, I could be mis-reading things here.

I haven't been up American Fork canyon yet, but usually there is a good snowpack from sleds heading up into Mineral Basin that's fun to pedal a fat bike up. Or the Guardsman's pass area usually sees quite a bit of sledding traffic, but I've never seen how far or where it leads while on a fat bike.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    Maybe I'm not reading everyone's posts right, but I highly doubt Mikesee is looking for a place to pull out some skinny (or even) fatty skis. I'm sure he's wanting to be pulling out his fatty Moots to do some long trail rides on groomed sledneck tracks or ski tracks. But again, I could be mis-reading things here.

I haven't been up American Fork canyon yet, but usually there is a good snowpack from sleds heading up into Mineral Basin that's fun to pedal a fat bike up. Or the Guardsman's pass area usually sees quite a bit of sledding traffic, but I've never seen how far or where it leads while on a fat bike.
    I do like to skate hardpack on the skinnies and I'll pull out the tele's mid-season when the snow is deep and the rocks/stumps are buried waaaaay down. But for now, yes, I'm looking for a place to go 'splorin' on the Snoots. Super happy with the mild temps and dry dirt, actually, but a good friend gave himself a Pugs for Kwanzaa and he's dying to get it... errr... ...snowy?

While the rest of us enjoy the weather we have *now*, he's chanting and hopping on one leg in hopes of frozen precip...

Thanks for the responses.

MC

Waiting for Godot
    ohhh thats what you want. then come on down. here are some pics of millcreek today.

first pic the road up is clear for the first seven miles. about 55 degrees untill mile six then it gets to 45 degrees.

there is about 1 1/2 miles of slippery ice. pug or 29er beware!! temp. 40 degrees

then the road turns to snow for 2 miles and the rest of the trails are mostly snow with an occasional rare mud patch. but worth riding. temp. 38 degrees.

snow is very hardpack and slick. tuff riding on a 29er but fun on a pug.
    i got up to the yurt today, but not on the trails

let me know when your coming, i'll get you up there. lots of pedaling though.
    Out riding, leave a message

Members who have read this thread: 0