Slickrock and Porcupine Rim in one day?- Mtbr.com
    wii!!!!!

Slickrock and Porcupine Rim in one day?

Hey all, I am doing a 3 day white rim tour with rim tours at the end of march ( or possibly at the beginig of may, still a bit up in the air), that goes thurs-fri-sat. So on sunday, I wanted to check out some other trails in the moab area, since this is my first time, it makes sense to me to ride the slickrock trail. But, I would really like to check out Porcupine Rim also.

So I was thinking, after three days on white rim, is it possible to get up wicked early do the slickrock trail, take a few hours get some grub and then hit up Porcupine Rim, all in one day? Or is that going to be too much for any mere mortal? I guess I would do the shuttle, not the full loop of proc rim.

Am I insane for thinking about doing this? It all just looks so fun.

Brent

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by brenth
    Hey all, I am doing a 3 day white rim tour with rim tours at the end of march ( or possibly at the beginig of may, still a bit up in the air), that goes thurs-fri-sat. So on sunday, I wanted to check out some other trails in the moab area, since this is my first time, it makes sense to me to ride the slickrock trail. But, I would really like to check out Porcupine Rim also.

So I was thinking, after three days on white rim, is it possible to get up wicked early do the slickrock trail, take a few hours get some grub and then hit up Porcupine Rim, all in one day? Or is that going to be too much for any mere mortal? I guess I would do the shuttle, not the full loop of proc rim.

Am I insane for thinking about doing this? It all just looks so fun.

Brent
    My first mountain biking trip to Moab involved this very bit of nonsense back in the mid 90's. I learned the meaning of bonk the hard way half way around slickrock after not eating anything between the rides. I think the combo would be very doable (with rest and refueling in between), especially if you were feeling strong after your three day White Rim ride. Make sure you're in condition to do 4-5 hours of moderate biking in a day before you head out.
    Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 02-17-2006 at 07:35 PM.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Very Doable

Its very doable if you shuttle up to the Porcupine Rim Trailhead. From there you have only 4 miles of climbing and then a whole lot of fun downhill. If you get up early and ride slickrock you'll have plenty of time to recover for porcupine. Slickrock ends up being about 2000+ ft of elevation gain based on basically doing intervals up the steep stuff and then down again and up again over and over!! Nothing like it!! Have fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just what the poser said. Make sure and do Slickrock first. It is the very definition of an intense interval workout. No really long climbs (well a couple will seem long), but they are intense.

You could arrange to have the shuttle pick you up at the Slickrock parking lot after your ride. It's on the same road (Sandflats Road) that leads up to the water tank starting point for Porc.

If time allows, make sure and take the spur off Slickrock proper into Icebox Canyon. It's technically and aerobically ez, and has one of the coolest views out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Absolutely!

Brenth,

Some friends and I just did the White Rim on Saturday. 3 of them went down Thurs night to do some riding on Friday. They did the full Porc (meaning no shuttle) and caught Slickrock on the way back to their vehicle. So, yes, you can do it in a day. And if you're crazy like they are, you can do the White Rim in a day the day after you've done Porcupine and Slickrock.

Hope that helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0