Slickrock...dumbed down- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Slickrock...dumbed down

I just got back from Moab. Went out to ride Slickrock yesterday. As you head out, prior to the loop, you cross a dry creek bed that starts with a 3-4 foot drop down/ramp, across some sand and up over an off camber ledge that WAS a nice technical challenge. One of the few on the trail. Sadly, it has been removed. I don't know who is responsible, but I'm pretty dissapointed that it's gone. If I find out who did it and the explanation for why it was done, I'll pass it on. Happily, the ramp up is still there for the return. Hopefully, there are no plans to install an escalator!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The pussification of America is being extended into all parts of life, including mountain biking. Soon we will be wearing straight jackets or bubble wrap wherever we go.

Seriously though, it was removed because it didn't pass the "No biker left behind" program requirements. If an 8 year old or an 80 year old can't ride it, it must be removed.

I personally would rather see A lines and B lines than easy everything. Or if someone can't do a particular part of the trail, they can walk it.

mtbr member
    If they would install the escalator in a bypass, you could still enjoy your climb, and not have to worry about us woefully overweighters dying in the middle of the trail and harshing your ride!

Sorry to hear that. Around here the movement has been towards more technical, even on the easy trails, and it seems to mostly be driving people to purchase better bikes or develop better skills. Haven't seen a dumbing down since I started four years ago that wasn't part of the trail builder's plan. Lord knows, I'd like to widen a few hairpins, but can't blame the trail for my inadequacies.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Your Best Friend
    That sucks! I know exactly where you are talking about. I've never been able to clear it but we always stop there on the way back so we can each make several attempts at it. I always swore that one day I was going to be able to clear it. Damn!
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Desert Seeker
    I'm trying to understand what has been removed. I was out there within the past week and rode that spot and there were no changes. Are you saying the trail was re-routed? I know some people including motorbikes cut through the wash earlier because they can't make the off-camber up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Rode slickrock Tuesday AM with my son who bounced through that section on the way in and we had a laugh about it almost knocking his glasses off. By the time we came back around the crew was there with their implements of destruction the the feature was pretty much gone.
    Not sure the reason why but could knuckleheads on rented 4x4's have been getting stuck there when they screw up and go off the 4x4 section onto the bike trail? If that were the reason it would seem better signage would be a better solution but the two trails are right on top of each other at that point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glesoine View Post
    I'm trying to understand what has been removed. I was out there within the past week and rode that spot and there were no changes. Are you saying the trail was re-routed? I know some people including motorbikes cut through the wash earlier because they can't make the off-camber up.
    No. As ajavt said. The step up was knocked down after you rode it, I guess. I have an email in to the likeliest suspects, but I'd like to hear from them before I go completely ape-shit on the forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajavt View Post
    Rode slickrock Tuesday AM with my son who bounced through that section on the way in and we had a laugh about it almost knocking his glasses off. By the time we came back around the crew was there with their implements of destruction the the feature was pretty much gone.
    Not sure the reason why but could knuckleheads on rented 4x4's have been getting stuck there when they screw up and go off the 4x4 section onto the bike trail? If that were the reason it would seem better signage would be a better solution but the two trails are right on top of each other at that point.
    Did you notice what organization they were with?

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    My guess would be that this was vandalism and not sanctioned trail work. I have not seen anything in the Trailmix agenda about work on Slickrock. Obstacles are never removed, if anything a reroute is created if people are braiding the trail and causing vegetation damage. If anyone has a description of the people or vehicles out there when they saw this I will follow up with BLM.

mtbr member
    It's possible that the work was not sanctioned. The folks at Poison Spider indicated otherwise. I have emails in to the BLM, Grand County and Ride With Respect. Some major "bunga bunga" is in order!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    We walk that wash. Older legs don't pedal bikes up that without too much risk. However, we really enjoy watching others ride it and the other advanced stuff around Moab. It isn't like it is worse than the drop-in to Horsethief Mesa near Fruita or some other places around Moab.

Blame jeepers :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    We walk that wash. Older legs don't pedal bikes up that without too much risk. However, we really enjoy watching others ride it and the other advanced stuff around Moab. It isn't like it is worse than the drop-in to Horsethief Mesa near Fruita or some other places around Moab.

Blame jeepers :-)
    I suspect it is the "other community" as you say, that has forced the issue. I was never able to clean it both ways until I got an aggressive tread for the rear, and then I was batting close to 1000. I'm probably way too wound up over this, I suppose.

pedlr
    It's true. I havent seen the work, but reached the individuals involved and got the scoop.

The purpose of the work was to make it more easily rideable for motorcycles. Motorcycles have been cutting an illegal trail a few yards to the west of this gulley forever to avoid that ledge. Sand Flats puts rock barriers up,but they dont last long..
    The work was done by a guy with Ride with Respect, which does a lot of good trail work in the county. It's a moto group, but their name says it all. We think he went further than intended originally in altering the trail, but like I say I havent seen it yet.

I have been failing to ride that off camber bit for 25 years, and had a half assed goal of being able to ride it by the time I was sixty(two years). Now I guess I'll be able to ride it, but will never know what could have been...

Anyway, to quell rumors, trailmix (and the jeepers) had nothing to do with it, it was not illegal.

There is a jeep route 5 yards to the east of this spot, that I ride, Jeeps and motos ride, so I'm a little sad that this spot was carved out. There were alternatives.

Just for the record, Slick rock was originally a moto trail, there has historically been work done for the motos long before mtn bikes came on the scene....

mtbr member
    ^^^^
    Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the only thing to do is let RWR know I'm not happy and hope that they show restraint in the future. That was the organization that I was told was responsible. Just waiting for confirmation.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    So what exactly do they "respect" if not the integrity of the trails they ride? , that does it, I'm not donating to them anymore.........wait, I never have donated to them

Desert Seeker
    So I rode that spot yesterday and was hoping that maybe they had just built up a rock ramp or something that would eventually erode away. Unfortunately, they actually destroyed a very large amount of the ledge that was there. Too bad they didn't just make an easier alternative route for the motor bikes and leave that feature alone. It was fun to ride and was visually pleasing before. Now it just looks like sh!t. Sad too because I believe every bit of that "trail" was natural before this modification.

mtbr member
    As the folks at Poison Spider told me. You can thank Ride With Respect for that mod. I think a respectful email to them is in order. I got no response to mine.
    Update: this is the response I got from The Grand County/ Sand Flats Recreation Area management:
    Joe,

Hello, Sand Flats staff worked with Ride with Respect on this project. For over a year Sand Flats staff had been blocking off an illegal trail that had formed as a go around for motorcycles in this area. On closer inspection it was determined that due to a washout in the drainage beside the trail, this ledge could not be approached from the right angle and had become extremely difficult to navigate by motorcycles. I initially thought a small step would be cut into the ledge for a motorcycle tire. This project blossomed into a bigger impact then was originally discussed and a ramp ended up being cut into the rock. However this change solves the problem and makes for a safer ride for motorcycles and bikes and should end further resource damage in this area.

Thank you for your interest and concern,
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-27-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Just to make it easier for people to lodge their dissatisfaction :

general correspondence:
    all at ridewithrespect dot org

Dale Parriott:
    dale at ridewithrespect dot org

Clif Koontz:
    clif at ridewithrespect dot org

Postal Mail
    Ride with Respect
    395 McGill Avenue
    Moab, UT 84532

Phone
    435-259-8334

mtbr member
    Wouldn't it have been easier to just legalize the reroute the motorcycles had already found. What was wrong with that?

I just got back from Moab and I found the dumbing down of Moab for the masses on most trails I rode including Gold Bar Rim ST and Porc rim ST. Portal seemed to be spared from official dumbing down (for now), but it's gradually been made easier by users over the years placing ramp rocks at strategic locations and moving others that were impeding flow.

Everything has been Ahab-ized. Still fun and much more appropriate for most riders, but still. It's nice to have challenges I haven't cleaned yet.

The Notch on LPS is still intact, right? The step up out of the creek at the bottom of Porc?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Sad to hear. That ledge was really quite easy on a moto for anyone intermediate and up. No need for anyone else to even be on that trail. I know this is an MTB thread but I ride quite a lot of moto as well so can see this from both sides. Interestingly, there was plenty of room to make a go-around without getting into sensitive terrain which makes the modification all that more perplexing. Building and maintaing trails is not easy though, sometimes things just don't go the way you'd hoped.

For the record, I don't really mind the changes on Porc. There's just that much smaller traffic jams when I come mobbing through. It's still plenty hard that most people can't ride it at a good pace but I've noticed a few less 50 rider backups which means I get to ride at full speed and I like that.