SLC: x-road question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SLC: x-road question

I am considering bringing my x-bike for my trip. I want to ride from Draper to Park City via Guardsman Pass. How is the road over Guardsman's Pass for a 28c cyclo-cross tire? Is there another route option from Little Cottonwood Canyon? I could ride my mtb but I am trying to minimize the effort and time commitment.

Still very much looking forward to Wasatch Crest ride on Thursday, July 8.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Should not be a problem.....

Guardsman Pass road is paved all the way to the top from the Big Cottonwood side, then there is a couple miles of fairly smooth dirt as you cruise through Bonanza Flats, then it's paved again as it turns down into PC. The road is passable to any vehicle, including doctors on Harley-Davidsons.

As for coming over from LC, the most direct route is up Grizzly Gulch, traverse Twin Lakes basin, then down through Brighton. Grizzly G and the Twin Lakes trail are both pretty rocky affairs, but I don't really know the limits of a cross bike.

You'll want to collect some further opinions on this, but you might consider riding the x bike on the Crest trail. You have ridden it in the past, right? The trail is now VERY sanitized, and except for the rocky spine above Desolation Lake (~200 yds), it is now mostly very smooth dirt. Again, don't take my word, but I've seen cross bikes up there. I wouldn't be making some of the climbs on a 38-30, but it looks to me like you've got the credentials for it.

Hope that helps some; hopefully some others will weigh in here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

That is what I was anticipating. I just need to find the time to do it.

I don't really have the credentials for anything but having fun. I am just another fat, middle-aged guy in mid-life crisis trying to re-live my youth.

I am running a 36/48 front and 12/32 mtb set up on back. 36/32 should be more than adequate for any significant steep climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi
    Guardsman Pass road is paved all the way to the top from the Big Cottonwood side, then there is a couple miles of fairly smooth dirt as you cruise through Bonanza Flats, then it's paved again as it turns down into PC. The road is passable to any vehicle, including doctors on Harley-Davidsons.

As for coming over from LC, the most direct route is up Grizzly Gulch, traverse Twin Lakes basin, then down through Brighton. Grizzly G and the Twin Lakes trail are both pretty rocky affairs, but I don't really know the limits of a cross bike.

You'll want to collect some further opinions on this, but you might consider riding the x bike on the Crest trail. You have ridden it in the past, right? The trail is now VERY sanitized, and except for the rocky spine above Desolation Lake (~200 yds), it is now mostly very smooth dirt. Again, don't take my word, but I've seen cross bikes up there. I wouldn't be making some of the climbs on a 38-30, but it looks to me like you've got the credentials for it.

Hope that helps some; hopefully some others will weigh in here.

mtbr member

x-bike- no problema

The 'Crest is very rideable on a 'Cross bike. I'm seeing more all the time on various trails around here. Here's a pic from last year of my buddy riding his 'Cross bike on the crest.
    Have fun!
    Scoooter
    Attached Images Attached Images