SLC Valley Pumptrack/jump build, need ideas and help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! SLC Valley Pumptrack/jump build, need ideas and help

We need another place to ride in the valley during the winter. I Street is too high and Tanner is too shaded, they won't dry out. I was hoping to maybe rally a few more people and find somewhere to build a pumptrack and possibly some dj's. A good spot would be low, open to sun and far enough from nosy neighbors, doesn't need to be huge. There's a spot out in Sandy at 9100 s and 3000 east that has some potential, already some dump truck loads of dirt out there. If anyone has ideas or wants to get on board, let me know.

Space in Sandy
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...=1&sa=N&tab=wl

Victim
    There's already a good start at that locale. Little pump track that could be built up nice. Needs lots of clearing though area is full of Goat Heads in the Summer and I got two flats last time i was there. Let me know if you are going to work on it. It's right by my house and if I'm not stuck up at The ski Area I'd throw some dirt around. once it dries out a bit.

Waiting for Godot
    pm me, i would be up for some pump track building/maint.

mtbr member

What we need

Is someone to build an indoor bike park with ladder bridges and all sorts of fun stuff for different skill levels. Lambert park is pretty flat and exposed to sun, and it still gets snowed in for a month or 2 in the winter sometimes. So someone rent out a warehouse and get cracking, Im gettin fat in this snow!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Be Patient Its A Work In Progress

I am currently working on this exact thing. The biggest hurdle is finding financing. If any one has an inside track/options pm me. Also is there someone that can hook me up with some architectural drawings/blue prints for the structures. This will have to be up to safety code and what not.

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    post on here when you want to build and i'm there. i'm dying to make a pump track and i need some where to ride in the winter so i don't go crazy

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Check out IMBA's website for tips on building structures. The main problem outdoors (wood rot) won't be an issue inside. Beyond that, I don't think there are any codes, it's trial and error, good craftsmanship and good judgement.

The Trailbuilding forum might have some additional info?

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by seppe71
    I am currently working on this exact thing. The biggest hurdle is finding financing. If any one has an inside track/options pm me. Also is there someone that can hook me up with some architectural drawings/blue prints for the structures. This will have to be up to safety code and what not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I don't think there are any codes, it's trial and error, good craftsmanship and good judgement.

JMH
    Along with a pump track and a couple of other options I plan on putting in a foam pit with a platform drop in. The platform is where I figured that code would have to followed on a structure like this. Anyway, I will let everybody know when construction will start.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As far as pump tracks, Leelikesbikes.com has a downloadable book on how to build a pump track complete with dimensions, turn radius, roller height, etc. As for a foam pit. Talk to people who have been in one. Aparently, it's not as easy as it looks. You can still auger in head first and get hurt. Rather than a platform drop, a kicker might be better. Lastly, table top DJs would be a safe and fun addition for indoor riding. Skinnies would also be a welcome addition.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Seppe, I'm guessing you're aware of Ray's in Cleveland but thought I'd point it out just to be sure http://www.raysmtb.com/. Seems like a great example to follow.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just moved here from Michigan this past August. Ray's was always a sort of pilgrimage every winter. The pump track and jumps and everyother obstacle for that matter flowed and connected together perfectly. It doesn't hurt to start small though too. Shoot me a pm if you start work. I'm not one much for skiing and am dying to ride something other than in traffic.

mtbr member

Good job! Sounds like there's some momentum building

I haven't seen any suggestions other than Sandy, so let's pursue it there. I imagine there's too much snow right now. If people post here when they can make it, maybe we can get a few people to work on it when we get a break in the weather. If the snow slows and it warms up like they say, I'm thinking Sunday the 13th around noon. I'll bring a camera and post some pics so we can all provide ideas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Trolls at work in Seattle

Anybody see the pictures of the colonnade near seattle? (Washington regional forum) An overpass would be ideal. Anybody been looking on the west side? I wouldn't mind driving for a good pump..............track.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

IMBA Ride Centers

Anyone read the latest Access Action in Dirt Rag? SLC seems to be the perfect candidate for one. An indoor part funded by IMBA would be so necessary!

mtbr member

Sandy is still snowy

I did make it down to the space in Sandy on Sunday. It's still pretty buried. Didn't bother taking pics. Anybody know somewhere that's more or less dried out yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by seppe71
    I tried this same thing a few years back, google" venture capital". (Liability insurance...)

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Phoenix?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

re: sandy

just a heads up for those thinking pump track in sandy. I live 1/4 mile from there, believe you are talking about right next to "your park". I have heard rumors that is slated for houses - not sure if that is still the case with the slowing housing market. Just didn't want to see people digging only to have it bulldozed over in a couple months.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Were you looking for a perminant place? If so, check out highland under the new I-80 over-pass. (under construction) I wonder what they have planned is for that area? Mayor Becker portrays himself as a bike guy, perhaps we should put him to the test?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If I thought it would be a profatable market in SLC and surrounding area, I would built one. I could get some funds and probably a building. I really don't think that people would be willing to pay for this kind of thing in the summer. I can see it in the winter though.

Members who have read this thread: 0