SLC Suggestions- Mtbr.com

Thread: SLC Suggestions

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

SLC Suggestions

Hi fellow SLC MTBers,

I'll be coming out from the Denver Front Range at the end of this month to SLC for a 2 day conference.

I'm driving and not sure if I'll be solo or with family in tow but regardless I'll be bringing the bike and hitting Fruita/GJ on the way home.

I'd love some suggestions for rides close to SLC. I rode some in Park City a few years ago but this time I need the best but closest trails to SLC. I already have found Bobsled/Bonneville/City Creek/Dry Gulch trails. What else is a quintessential SLC ride? Say up to 2 hours or so and again, as close to the city as possible? I'm only there long enough to get 1-3 rides it so they have to be good!

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Last edited by GL1; 04-09-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

Frame Building Moderator
    You already pretty much found them. If you're willing to drive 30 min or so from downtown, then lots of other options (Corner Canyon, Park City, MillCreek, etc) open up, but honestly, the BST/variations are the only thing that are available right from town.

All the high elevation stuff is still snowed in anyway so get busy exploring the BST!

-Walt

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cool thanks and ya I really won't have a ton of time and will need to stay close so this looks like the best bet. I am excited to ride Bobsled.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    Cool thanks and ya I really won't have a ton of time and will need to stay close so this looks like the best bet. I am excited to ride Bobsled.
    The Bobsled is a definite exciting trail to hit up - just be careful on the first few hundred yards - very steep, lots of loose rocks and when I rode it last June - the middle of the trail has a nice rut in it. To give you a taste of how steep and slippery it was (a group of about 12 riders went ahead of me, several of them ate pooh right out the gate). Main thing - don't lock your brakes which is very challenging not to do.

After you pass that, the trail is just very awesome. There are some offshoots you can hit but they are not marked (ie: main trail, technical offshoot, etc) so my suggestion is take it easy the first time down and then hit it again with more speed.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Drive the 25 minutes south to Corner Canyon. You won't be dissapointed.