Slc Singlespeeding???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Slc Singlespeeding???

Here in mpls a 29er singlespeed is the hot ticket, i am moving to slc and wondering if there are any ss friendly trails??? I am planning on building a bigger bike for moab and such as well, any thoughts???

bog

mtbr member

Yep

Lots of great trails here. And they're fun on all types of bikes, include rigid 29er ss's.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The altitude will kill you for the first three months, but just bring extra cogs. I rode 2:1 in socal but found it a bit rough here and haven't been riding SS much. I am currently SS-less, but hope to remedy that this summer.

But yeah, you will dig it.

JMH

mtbr member

you will love it here (well, riding at least)

I ride exclusively 29 SS in the Wasatch, and while there are a wide variety of trails and some maybe more ss friendly than others, pretty much everything is doable.

I run 32X20 and that seems to be pretty typical here give or take one in the back.

As JMH said, the altitude will get you at first but you will get used to it (I have a sister in Madison, WI and I feel like the super-lung when I visit).

Ridin in UT
    I'm from Michigan so I feel your pain about the altitude.. or used to. Less than one summer of riding here and i was totally aclimated. My SS is setup I think at 34x21 and that's about right for me. Funny thing is most trails I have just as much fun on that as my 6" trailbike. I have learned though that I 'aint afraid of walking up hills! There are some you just can't get... It's friggin steep here

Mtn Biker Machinist

Way doable

I find that most of the hills I could climb on my full squish, I can ride on my ss. I run 36:20 with 26" wheels. The altitude will take some getting used to, but the trails around the wasatch are great. Lots of variety, and some truly epic rides as well.

Moab is doable on a ss, but the full squish can make it a whole different experience. Check out Bartlett Wash (more of a sandstone playground than a defined trail) and of course slickrock. Moab is a unique experience, and should not be missed.

Welcome to Utah!

frog

Bend, OR
    I run 32:20 on 26", which seems to be lower than just about everyone, so I guess I'm weak..

If you're looking for great warmup SS rides to acclimatize here, check out Mueller Park, or Mill Creek Pipeline. But, like everyone has said, its mostly all doable on a SS, just depends how bad you wanna hurt.

mtbr member
    i'm moving in this month, from bay area, riding a 29er SS. I'm so excited i could pee.

Members who have read this thread: 0