SLC Shoreline/Dry Gulch?

Printable View

• 04-07-2009
    tmeyer
    SLC Shoreline/Dry Gulch?
    Good to go? Rode it two weeks ago in the dust but we've had some precip since. Wondering if anyone went up Dry Gulch in the past 2 days?
  • 04-07-2009
    pop_martian
    Dry Gulch is the same as Dry Creek? I tried to ride Dry Creek last night. It's mostly good all the way to the saddle, but then quickly becomes muddy and snowy all the way to the bobsled entrance. It needs at least another week of this weather and it should be good to go!:thumbsup:
  • 04-07-2009
    tmeyer
    Damn, thanks for the info. Road it is I guess..........
  • 04-07-2009
    pop_martian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmeyer

The Draper BST is in good shape though. Head down there for some dirt.
  • 04-07-2009
    P-townDave
    I rode it today and turned around at the start of the last climb to the saddle as there is still snow and a nice mudfest. Sounds like Pop found more mud after that, so glad to have turned around. Up till then, pretty rideable and the mud before then wasn't rutting up so much.
  • 04-07-2009
    Pedalfaraway
    City Creek to Ensign Peak is good to go
    Rode there today and there are a couple muddy spots, most only 10 yards, and 1 really snowing patch on a north facing slope with alot of snow still. I went up the other way toward bobsled and was able to get to meadow where the 11th ave jumps are. There is still snow on the trail after that so bobsled is out for a while. A week of sunny days would do it.
  • 04-07-2009
    drboudreaux
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmeyer

I am in for road. Went today - 32 miles. I'll chat with you tomorrow about it.

doc
  • 04-08-2009
    slcrockymountainrider
    I rode Dry Creek over to the base of Olympic Hill yesterday. And by rode, I mean I pushed my bike through a couple of snow drifts and along the matted down weeds along the side of the trail. Took a B-line on a lesser used piece of single track at the base of Olympic Hill down into the upper Ave's (just south of the Bobsled exit) to escape.

The snow started towards the upper section of Dry Creek and gives you just enough dry sections to sucker those of us dumb and desperate enough to get out and ride to continue on. Once you get past the lookout at the top of Dry Creek you can see your first bit of fun on at the next big right hander which was covered pretty well with snow. You get maybe 100 ft of dry dirt after that.

Still needs a good 5 or so days of warm, dry weather IMO.
  • 04-08-2009
    slcrockymountainrider
    BTW, saw my first bit of trail rage on the last, steep section of Dry Creek. Some kid on an older hard tail, t-shirt/jeans, no helmet, some fancy new neon Dakine pack and big hair that would rival any of the Cosby kids later on in life. He was a few turns ahead of me pushing his bike and then just stopped and threw the thing over the side of the hill towards the trail below. I was waiting to hear him drop the 'f' bomb a few times, but didn't yell a word.
    Of course it landed on it's rear wheel and bounced a lot further down the hill than he probably wanted it to. And adding insult to injury, the hillside was covered with a nice bit of shallow snow and pretty steep. Perfect for traction in unlaced Vans skate shoes.
    Opted not to ask the venerable 'need anything?' for fear of what can o' worms that would have opened up.

But karma got the best of me the rest of the way with the slog hike-a-bike on flat, snowy ground for half a mile that followed. Oh well.
  • 04-09-2009
    dusty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    those of us dumb and desperate enough to get out and ride

That would be me.
  • 04-09-2009
    snajo
    I rode from the university to the city creek trailhead late yesterday morning. I don't recall the trail between city creek and bobsled being all that bad... a little mud of course, but nothing compared to the the saddle between bobsled and dry creek.

I may just did up the $9 and give Antelope Island a shot.
  • 04-12-2009
    bopApocalypse
    anybody check it out today?
  • 04-12-2009
    dusty
    I walked part of it with my dogs. It's pretty wet and soft. I'd say it would be OK by Tues/Wed with the winds, but another storm is due Tues. (and snow after that):

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...d2=-111.89&e=0
  • 04-13-2009
    P-townDave
    I rode it yesterday (Saturday). Weather looked horrible, but managed to ride from Dry creek to City creek without rain. Between Bobsled entrance and the top of Dry creek there are quite a few muddy spots. Today's weather probably helped alot. Tread lightly. . .
  • 04-14-2009
    pop_martian
    Rode from Dry Creek to the Bobsled last night and it's all good to go. The Bobsled is wet in some places, but not too bad. I noticed all the vandalism mentioned earlier and it's just a shame. They didn't just destroy the platform, but the trails leading into and out of it as well. :madmax:

Although with the rain today, it's going to be a couple of days before it's ridable again.