SLC riding - visiting this week- Mtbr.com
    brg
    mtbr member

SLC riding - visiting this week

I'm in SLC this week (working on my speedskating) and sure would love to mtn or road ride during the day.

Are any trails ridable?

What about air quality? The person I'm staying with says the air is so bad that it's not good to ride outside.

any info is appreciated!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The air is indeed pretty gross right now. It is supposed to snow on maybe Wednesday, which should clear the air for Thursday and Friday.

You can definitely ride easy before then, but nothing that is going to leave you gasping if you don't want to die from the smog.

Shoreline all looks good, at least the portions I've seen. Hard pack snow or frozen mud as long as you go in the AM or night. The roads are dry enough for road riding, but the cold is an issue, as always.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by brg
    I'm in SLC this week (working on my speedskating) and sure would love to mtn or road ride during the day.

Are any trails ridable?

What about air quality? The person I'm staying with says the air is so bad that it's not good to ride outside.

any info is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Forget about it

MTB is out of the question unless you are into walking through ankel deep slush. There are no trails that can be ridden right now. You can try to ride the shoreline but will do lots of walking through the snow and mud. Any riding that can be done will not resemble what I think of as mountain biking. (where I get to pedal and don't have to stop every 10 min).

Road riding is possible if you are desended from a penguin, and want all the benifits of smoking a pack of cigerettes without spending 5 bucks. Bottom line. The snow sucks the air sucks, the winter sucks, SLC sucks, and leave your bike at home until june. In june there is some OK riding in the lower elevations, and by august the snow melts off the mountans enough that you can ride really good trails until oct when it snows again. Do yourself a favor and stay away from SLC this time of yeat. its one of the worst places in the nation to be.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

brg
    mtbr member
    oh well - thanks for the info. I might try for a road ride on Thursday or Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    Do yourself a favor and stay away from SLC this time of yeat.
    ....at least the Long Track ice is really nice. I gotta take advantage of it since they'll be taking it down in March!

cheers!

mtbr member
    I rode Corner Canyon trails including shoreline north from Corner Canyon and the new singletrack trail from the top down (Clark's?), last night. I didn't have to walk...it was all rideable. I was riding from 9pm-11pm....so the snow had a little time to stiffen up after the sun went down...but those trails are rideable....and do resemble mountain biking. And most of it was above the smog line.

Or go out to Lambert Park in Alpine...buff snow covered firm singletrack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sorry I missed the ride, el qtip-o.

We rode American Fork Canyon on Saturday morning. Predawn start with 2.5 hours riding in clear skies. Yeah, it was on snowmobile pack, but I think qtip would agree with me that it was cool. Parked at Tibble Fork and rode up into Mineral Basin (about .5 miles from the Snowbird/Alta lifts.

Next week, Ridge 157!

Bend, OR
    Just how bad is it to be outside right now anyway?

I don't have a tv or read the paper so I never see the warnings and such.

I'm out pretty much every day for a couple hours maybe. Is that bad?

edit: BST North would be fine if ridden in the morning or night.

Oct 2005
    Hey brg,

If you are still in town or for future reference, I would suggest a 30 min trip up to the Park City area. I used to ride the road all winter long with a club up there. It is above the inversion so that the air is clean and crisp. Somehow it was generally a bit warmer up there above the inversion as well. There are some nice country roads that loop through Kamas and get little use from cars this time of year. I would call White Pine touring and see about joining a group ride. It can actually be really nice riding (so far as road riding goes).

T.J.

Members who have read this thread: 0