SLC/Park city Trip- Mtbr.com

Jul 2008

SLC/Park city Trip

So, it looks like I am making a trip to Utah this July. I ride mostly All mountain and some DH. I was wondering what trails would you reccomend for like All mountain in the SLC area/Park City Area/Wasatch range. I am going to go down to Moab too its just flippin hot down there. I may try to get in some DH at Deer Valley. Also, are there any places to rent like an All Mountain Bike around/in SLC. Shipping a bike by plane this days is mucho $$$$

Alright so I bought my Airline Ticket last night (thank god my cousin is a pilot for Delta and can get me discounts on s direct flight to Salt Lake City from DC. Anyway, I have a DJ hardtail and need an All Mountain bike, so I decided I am going to rent. It looks like there are many shops in Downtown Salt Lake City near the Mormon Temple (where cousin lives) that do rentals. The one that I think looks the most promising and has the best rental bikes is GO-Ride which allows you to rent a bike for $75 a day. Yeah, I could rent a bike for cheaper, but these rentals look the best and actually taken care of. So my question to you guys is which rental bike should I go with? My itinerary is first day ride Crest Trail, Second day go to Deer Valley, third day Sundance, fourth day Brighton/Little Cottonwood Canyon shuttle. I will be doing about 15-20 miles a day (Maybe more). Here are the rental bikes to chose from. I think the Turner 5-Spot looks awesome. They may charge more for Yeti. Also anybody have any experience at the GO-RIDE shop? How are they.
    Here are the rental bikes to chose from.
    http://www.go-ride.com/WSWrapper.jsp...emo_bikes.html

Also, are there any other bike shops in SLC that do high quality rentals (Yeti, Specialized, Turner, Rocky Mountain) that is no more that $50 a day. $75 a day for 4 days is expensive, but I understand it may be worth it since they are great bikes. i just want to make sure I get a bike that is not all beaten up.

Jul 2008
    sorry for being kind of annoying, it is just that i am leaving soon and need some advice. thanks!

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't have any experience renting bikes here since this is where I live, but I can tell you that I've seen the demo bikes at Go-Ride and they look like they're in really good condition.

You should also check the bikes and rates at Park City Rides, Cole Sport, and Jan's, all of which are in Park City.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    You can't go wrong with the go-ride boys, best shop in town and their demo bikes are primo - ventana, turner, yeti, intense, ect - all in great shape.

At DV I'd rent a full on dh bike - I think they've got bikes available up there.

Try to get a run or two in on bobsled while you're in town -

mtbr member
    I think Park City Ride is the shop in Kimball Junction. They are Freeride oriented and also have Yeti 575's for rent ( or did last year). I thought they were more like $45. For the Crest ride, I'd recommend Sweeny's to John's to the Steps, to Keystone...Shadow Lake Loop and up Puke Hill. Most people go up Spiro, but I think the other route, though longer, is considerably more interesting and technically challenging. Spiro is more direct and easier, though. You can also make it a loop that goes out to The Canyons/Colin's Trail.

Spin Cycle is great fun in the DV area, not lift serviced...there are a bunch of pretty great downhills at DV....I haven't been up there in years, but always liked Twist and Shout. It's one of the shorter/easier of the black diamonds up there.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Jul 2008
    I need shops just in SLC. Go-ride is really expensive.

Jul 2008
    anyone??

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

For 4 days, bring your own bike

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker2911
    $75 a day for 4 days is expensive
    Not sure what airlines you're going on, but take AA for example... $100 each way for a bike box that is less than 70lbs and 108? linear inches (or something like that). That's cheaper or equal to renting a $50-75 bike for 4 days. Then you have the pleasure of riding your own. Make sure you have a good plastic bike box or a double walled cardboard box at least, and put a strut inside the middle of the box to prevent anything laying on it from crushing the sides onto your bike.

I think some airlines charge up to $150 for a bike (that fits their size and weight limits), but that's still the same as renting a $75 bike for 4 days, and you still have the benefit of riding your own.

Renting a bike can be fine, but you know it won't be tuned as well as your own. I rented one at Bootleg Canyon and the dang chain snapped after only 4 miles. I was able to fix it, but it could have ruined my short riding window of 4 hours. Someone probably fixed it once before and the shop never replaced it.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of making a stop in SLC on my next business trip in a few weeks and am interested to hear what peeps recommend for you.

EDIT: If you can take your bike apart enough to fit into 2 boxes that are each at or below 62 linear inches and 50lbs, you can check them for little or no fee. Stuff them to the 50lb limit with clothes and put everything else into a large carry-on bag... that's the way to do it if you can. Fitting a frame into 62 linear inches is almost impossible though unless you take a lot of it apart. Totally worth it though to save $200-300.
    I read that on the internet.

Ride and Smile
    Go Ride is the only slc shop I would consider. So maybe one choice is enough. Deer Valley is got a lot going on these days so if you're going dh, hit the lifts. But if your talking all mountain then there are a lot of mountains. Wasatch north, south, central, Uintas and ....
    And I have a 5-spot and its a great bike for around here.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Anyone know about the Red Stag Lodge at DV? I just found a rate of $79 in the hotel part for 2 nights... that's cheaper than the Holiday Inn Express! So I booked it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, pretty damn bling... Congrats... To the OP, there are a couple shops in Park City. None really have anything too exciting except for some Rocky Mountain (Slayers?) at Cole Sport. The shops are:

Cole Sport
    Jan's
    White Pine Touring

Maybe try calling to see what they have, and rates. If they are less than $50 then it would be cheaper. Though I think the bike box idea is not a bad one...

Jul 2008
    The rental place has to be in Salt Lake City only and be good bikes.

mtbr member
    So...it HAS to be in Salt Lake City, can't be Go-ride because it's too expensive and they have to have really nice bikes...I'm out of ideas.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    **pick up the phone** and call around. Google or yellowpages.com search. OR try part city, it is only 30min away. Hope it hleps. A

Jul 2008
    I mean the reason it has to be SLC is because that is where I am staying and I don't have a car. I would use GO-Ride but they only allow you to demo a bike for 2 days max. I mean it doesn't have to be a super nice bike, but nothing crappy either.

Thanks

Ride and Smile
    But if you're in SLC without a car, how are you going to ride? Aren't you going to want to ride up high? Maybe take a shuttle up to PC and get one of the demo bikes at Jan's. They don't have as nice as go ride but they have good bikes

Jul 2008
    I found Guthrie Cycles in SLC they have Santa Cruz and Trek

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

What shuttles are there from the SLC airport to PC?

Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    But if you're in SLC without a car, how are you going to ride? Aren't you going to want to ride up high? Maybe take a shuttle up to PC and get one of the demo bikes at Jan's. They don't have as nice as go ride but they have good bikes
    I have a car reserved for my trip, but would probably be in favor of taking a shuttle bus instead. Are there any shuttles that run late on Friday evening (~9pm) and then again mid-day (~2pm) on Sunday? If so, what's the name, cost etc? Thanks.

Jul 2008
    what are some like must do trails in Park City, Sundance, Deer Valley, and around the crest trail?

Jul 2008
    what are some must ride trails in Park City, Deer Valley, and sundance.

also rentals in SLC?

Waiting for Godot
    just did "flying dog" trail with bushwackerinPA and it was really fun. nice easy climbs, long rolling flats and senic single track. we opted for the longer 20 mile-ish loop by connecting several trails.

the climbs are in the begining and long descents at the end.

the go-ride bikes and guys there are the best. i have had great service from them. if they are a little more $$ just spend it and have fun. the trails here are like no other.

p.m. me when you are just about to arrive and we can arrange some rides....
    Out riding, leave a message

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    what are some must ride trails in Park City, Deer Valley, and sundance.

also rentals in SLC?
    IMO

Wasatch Crest
    Mid Mountain
    Flying Dog
    American Fork Canyon(tons of trail loop options)

also just read the original post, these are great trails but do require pedalling even if you shuttle the crest.

if you want someone to show you around for a day or 2 send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Go up Sweeny's to John's to The Steps, Apex/Keystone, Shadow Lake Loop to Puke Hill to get to the Ridge...over to the connector down to Colin's across Midmountain and down Spiro....or Vice versa.

Bob's Basin downhills for short, easy downhills (from Glenwild).

Near sunset, Round Valley is easy, fun, beautiful....about an hour ride. (I say near sunset as it's exposed to sun and the low sun angle is nice, visually).

Upper Deer Valley and the lift is good for fun downhills with no effort...try out Twist and Shout.

All of the other recommendations are great, also. This place is awesome.
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Waiting for Godot
    is the deer valley bus shuttle still do-able. i did it once last year, but cannot remember where i got on the bus and where to get off.

basicly we got on a city bus shuttle with our bikes in town. it took us right to deer valley. get off, pedal up a 400 yard hill and downhill different trails. right back to the bus. and it was free.

anybody?

Jul 2008
    wheres the flying dog trail?

Waiting for Godot
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/

go to park city then flying dog

mtbr member
    Flying Dog...good place to start is at Glenwild. Grab a map at any LBS, it's pretty easy to find. I recommend riding it clockwise, but I seem to run into quite a few people going the other way.
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Jul 2008
    alright it looks like I am going to look in Park City for rentals. Anyone there carry Yeti, Turner, or Rocky Mountain?

Ride and Smile
    Cole Sport carries Rocky Mountain

mtbr member
    alright it looks like I am going to look in Park City for rentals. Anyone there carry Yeti, Turner, or Rocky Mountain?
    Stein Sports (basically in the basement of the Stein Erikesen Lodge at mid mountain in DV) carries Rocky Mountain and has a decent inventory of Slayer SXC's and a few Flatlines. Not cheap, but nice bikes. (The also carry Kona.)

Members who have read this thread: 0