SLC Mini ramp ban effecting pump tracks? Paging Err, JMH- Mtbr.com
    Dr. Pepper drinker

SLC Mini ramp ban effecting pump tracks? Paging Err, JMH

Anyone know how this joke of a law regarding backyard skate ramps in SLC deals with pump tracks? Wondering if any of you folks with them have had any issues yet or if a backyard pump track is still okay. You with think our government might have better ways to spend their time/our money given the current state of the country but I guess not. Found this site today and signed the petition, hope others will do the same. I'm not even a skater but the whole thing seems like a crock o' shite. If pump tracks haven't been outlawed yet I wouldn't be surprised if they are next on the list.

www.slcminiramp.com
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Gotta love this assinine state.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    They guy behind the whole SLC miniramp website and debacle is a friend of a friend. He has a super mellow two foot mini in his backyard in Sugarhouse. His neighbors are typical Utah retirees with a UBER-landscaped yard, not a blade of grass outtaplace and they think they own the street and have a right to tell everyone there how to live their lives. You probably have one of those types on your street like I do. Any-who, along comes the mniramp, the neighbors panties get all wadded up because now they "Can't enjoy their backyard". They start making nuisance complaints, city comes in, assesses the situation and think the neighbors are full of it. They are actively not enforcing the law any longer but it is still on the books. Even though any nuisance a ramp could cause falls under the noise ordinance there is still an anti ramp law which is ridiculous. With Utah being conservatively minded and all you'd think there's be less Gov intrusion into your personal space, but like the liquor and strip club laws, they really wanna put regulations on your fun quota. Being a skater for over twenty five years and knowing what skaters images were twenty five years ago vs now I imagine this law has less to do with noise and more to do with long haired skaters with skulls on their shirts and not quite fitting in with the standard back image of the place when the law was written back in the day. That's MY assessment anyways, YMMV....

So if your thinking about building a ramp, or pumptrack, in your backyard in SL county you probably won't get messed with on the anti ramp law but if you're loud, put up lights and skate (or pump) at night, rock out music, etc., you could get cited on the noise ordinance. Keep it on the DL, no raging sessions, put Skatelite on the plywood which knocks down some of the noise, ride softer wheels which are quieter, make sure you have a building permit if the structure is over 5 ft tall or cost $500 (I think that's how that works) and you should be okay.

The funny thing about SLC miniramp is now that the city has said that the ramp has a right to exist, the stuffy neighbors walk around their yard with helmets on to protect them from falling skateboards..... It's a site to behold!

mtbr member

Salt Lake County Health meeting

The health board meets Oct. 2 at 7:30 a.m. in Room 2003 of the north building of the County Government Center, 2001 S. State St.
    Get your friends and get down there to show support for free backyards.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Insanity, pure insanity. It's been said before, but worth repeating that there is no way that the sound levels from a skate ramp (or pump track) come anywhere close to the levels from lawn equipment, loud motorcycles, loud trucks, loud stereos, kids playing (yelling) in backyards, and a number of other sounds you're likely to hear in an urban setting. Furthermore, the LAST thing we need to do is inhibit any form of healthy exercise. Have you seen the body fat on most kids these days? Scary.

I'm all over the ramp petition (I almost built a ramp instead of my pump track) and following closely. We are always respectful with our pump track with both levels of noise, lights, etc.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

update - moratorium on enforcing skate ramp law

Moratorium on enforcement of the skate ramp law. They are OK for the time until SL Valley Health reassesses the situation next year. See story here:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4423926

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, this whole thing is a joke! I signed that petition a few weeks ago.
    I've had a 6' ramp at my house for the last 2 years, and have never had a complaint. I've put out big flood lights, and skated all night. Maybe thats the difference between the east side, and the west side?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pbandj19
    Yeah, this whole thing is a joke! I signed that petition a few weeks ago.
    I've had a 6' ramp at my house for the last 2 years, and have never had a complaint. I've put out big flood lights, and skated all night. Maybe thats the difference between the east side, and the west side?

Either you have no close neighbors or they're skating with you

When are you gonna have a MTBR skate day at the ramp? So much good concrete roundwall in SL county, we need more ramps to skate....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thefugitive
    Either you have no close neighbors or they're skating with you

When are you gonna have a MTBR skate day at the ramp? So much good concrete roundwall in SL county, we need more ramps to skate....
    Yeah, I live on a corner, and the ramp is as far from the neighbors as it could be. So it is in a pretty good spot. As for the MTBR session, we're running out of weather, so it better happen soon. I'm sure we could throw something together if there's enough interest. . .

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear you guys are having difficulties in SLC. Lived in American fork and we had a great naighborhood, conservative but young all the younger fathers were skaters at one point. We had at least 3 ramps in front and back yards. I acutally kind of liked the sound as an OLD skater myself, my wife freaked the first time she heard some kids eat it.

Being older I would only say a few things, if you let me sleep at night so I can wake up and work, do not destroy my property, are respectful to neighbors in regards to how you are parking your cars driving up and down the street- get me an invite to skate once in a while (which I would decline respectfully as I can not afford another injury - monetarily or physically) you can build one on my street in SoCal anytime.

We got all the sunshine year around...

Members who have read this thread: 0