SLC alternative transportation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SLC alternative transportation

I know the riding is awesome in the areas surrounding Salt Lake City (correct me if I'm wrong here), but is there a decent inner-urban cycling scene? Any bike-social clubs? Are there marked bike lanes on the road? Thanks.

mtbr member
    yes, yes & yes (well........define decent on #1)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

defining decent

I intend to live "in" the city and would like to be able to ride my bike to bars and other social activities without too many beer bottles bouncing off my noggin along the way. I would hope to find other like minded folks who ride beater bikes around town for transportaion. I would hope these folks are not too exclusive ...I'm not a messinger and do not have a fixie. This is what I would call decent. The hot college girls on vintage steel fixies would be a bonus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam
    I intend to live "in" the city and would like to be able to ride my bike to bars and other social activities without too many beer bottles bouncing off my noggin along the way. I would hope to find other like minded folks who ride beater bikes around town for transportaion. I would hope these folks are not too exclusive ...I'm not a messinger and do not have a fixie. This is what I would call decent. The hot college girls on vintage steel fixies would be a bonus.
    You'll be fine in regards to the beer bottles, not sure about finding a hipster crew to tag along with, though. They might brainwash you into screaming "ONE LESS CAR!!! (but only April through September!)" everywhere you go

There is a hot girl with a freewheeled singlespeed around. She rides brakeless. Maybe that's why I haven't seen her in awhile?
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Oct 2005
    Where are you from?
    You may want to visit the Salt Lake Valley for a couple of weeks before making a big commitment.
    Bleu summed up the hot girls on vintage fixie situation; A hot girl riding a singlespeed and she has disappeared. Sorry, but no bonus.
    I am sure you will find like minded folks, but it is not so pleasant commuting in Salt Lake in my experience.
    There are a few streets with dedicated bike lanes, but there is far more often no shoulder at all, especially in the downtown area. Drivers all along the Wasatch Front are incredibly rude and though you may not catch a flying beer bottle, you will be constantly cut off, honked at and generally treated as a second class citizen. You will be given very little room and people will pass you at insane speeds. Cyclists get hit constantly, at least 3 or 4 are killed each summer. Several more wind up disabled. Two of my friends were clobbered before I finally decided to give up and sell my road bike.
    The air quality is terrible and there is litter everywhere. Pack a couple of tubes along as there is plenty of broken glass to ensure you flat on a regular basis.
    Sorry for the less than enthusiastic reply. I have voiced my opinion on Salt Lake City before and was told that these things I whine about are typical in any big city. This may be. Still, if someone is considering a move here, they ought to be told of both the good and the bad. There is plenty of both around here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    YEah tj i have to strongly disagree with you there. LIke you said most of those problems you listed are problems in any big city. From teh few cities I have lived in salt lake is way ahead in biker friendliness. I live in the avenues and its great riding around here, I can ride downtown and go to all the local bars, and activities going on. It is a little scary sometiems but its the downtown of a major city...alland all salt lake is a great biking town

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T. J.
    Where are you from?
    You may want to visit the Salt Lake Valley for a couple of weeks before making a big commitment.
    Bleu summed up the hot girls on vintage fixie situation; A hot girl riding a singlespeed and she has disappeared. Sorry, but no bonus.
    I am sure you will find like minded folks, but it is not so pleasant commuting in Salt Lake in my experience.
    There are a few streets with dedicated bike lanes, but there is far more often no shoulder at all, especially in the downtown area. Drivers all along the Wasatch Front are incredibly rude and though you may not catch a flying beer bottle, you will be constantly cut off, honked at and generally treated as a second class citizen. You will be given very little room and people will pass you at insane speeds. Cyclists get hit constantly, at least 3 or 4 are killed each summer. Several more wind up disabled. Two of my friends were clobbered before I finally decided to give up and sell my road bike.
    The air quality is terrible and there is litter everywhere. Pack a couple of tubes along as there is plenty of broken glass to ensure you flat on a regular basis.
    Sorry for the less than enthusiastic reply. I have voiced my opinion on Salt Lake City before and was told that these things I whine about are typical in any big city. This may be. Still, if someone is considering a move here, they ought to be told of both the good and the bad. There is plenty of both around here.
    Are you serious?

I work as a bike messenger in Salt Lake and am regularly amazed at how few people almost hit me. Relative to other places in the country, SLC doesn't seem too bad. The suburbs suck, but that's all in relation to the demographic.

****, you can't swing a dead cat downtown and NOT hit some asshat (male or female) on a fixie.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Are you serious?

I work as a bike messenger in Salt Lake and am regularly amazed at how few people almost hit me. Relative to other places in the country, SLC doesn't seem too bad. The suburbs suck, but that's all in relation to the demographic.

****, you can't swing a dead cat downtown and NOT hit some asshat (male or female) on a fixie.
    Quite serious indeed bleu.

Here is just one example of the reality of bicycle commuting along the Wasatch Front:

http://www.helpmarty.org/index.php

I will definetely second your opinion of the suburbs. They certainly do suck, but nowhere near as bad as the city itself.

Bored Carp
    SLC is much more bike friendly than other cities I have lived in and visited. Lots of bike lanes, a large majority of the urban population uses a bike on a regular basis, and I have never seen as many women on bikes as I have here.

I am comparing to LA, other SoCal cities, Seattle and surrounding cities, Washington DC/Maryland area, etc. I have lived and trained in true urban areas, and this city is pretty chill comparatively. (Try commuting to Downtown LA from Venice Beach before you say SLC is a rough ride). I ride my townie a lot more here, too - great for the bars and the free concerts downtown.

FWIW, I was hit 4 times in LA, and had a lot of very negative interactions with drivers (LA has some of the best road riding in the world, BTW), but riding in SLC has been pretty mellow. Generally, I have found that the people who think SLC is a big, busy, scary, city are just folks who have never lived anywhere truly urban.

As for suburbs - anytime you get into neighborhoods filled with iDrivers in their kid-filled SUVs you end up with an increase in cyclist vs. driver issues. It is the same no matter where you go.

Winter here can be a bit rough, though - riding when it is 12 degrees out takes some effort. Ask Bleu about that.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Members who have read this thread: 0