SLC advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: SLC advice

Park City, Utah
    Jun 2005

SLC advice

I am moving to Utah once I sell my house in Upstate New York and need some advice on areas to live where I can be near work, yet more importantly near biking and other outdoor activities. Let me start by saying I am not a New Yorker.Ive only been here 18 months. I grew up in Michigan and more recently lived in Colorado, near Vail. I made a mistake moving to NY and am correcting that now, deciding that Utah has more of everything to offer for the lifestyle that I want. The things that are important to me: biking, mainly mountain but also getting into road; skiing and in general the outdoor lifestyle.
    Ideally I would live in the Park City area and commute to Salt Lake City, I work in commercial real estate and need a market the size of SLC. I have visited the area and feel the Kimball Junction/Pinebrook area would be a good option, close to I-80 for commuting yet close to PC. However, my thought is that maybe I should look into SLC for a rental to start off, while I learn the area and meet people. I want to have easy access to Park City and the mountains, yet be in a neighborhood near others who are living my lifestyle. An apartment with a garage to store all my toys would be important, too.
    So, bottom line, what areas of SLC should I look at? Im (recently) single and would be looking for a small place, not worried about schools, family activities, etc.
    What resources are out there for me to learn the city? Obviously, visiting again and looking around will help. My plan is to make a trip to SLC once my house in NY is under contract. Id like to make the most out of my visit and have an apartment picked out before I return to NY to move everything out there.
    Any advice you locals could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Who's that guy?
    I can't help much as far as living in SLC (I am about 70 miles North), but a good resource for the local mountain biking is here...

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com

Hope everything works out for you on your move. A big welcome from a soon-to-be fellow 'Utahn'.

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you're thinking about SLC, I'd suggest looking somewhere in Sugarhouse, the Avenues or in between - mostly the area north of I-80 and east of 700 E. If you're in the Aves, you're really close to the City Creek and Dry Creek trailheads to hop on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (esp the sections above the Aves and the U). Not the world's best, but fun and right there. If you're further south in Sugarhouse, freeway access for I-80 is really easy. From there, Park City is half an hour and the canyons are less.
    Those areas and downtown are probably the most amenable to a single life, and downtown isn't as nice for riding around. They are somewhat expensive for SLC, but quite reasonable in a larger context.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I'd recommend the Sugarhouse and Avenues areas as well and also would add a good chunk of Holladay to that. We just bought a home in Holladay after 1.5 years of renting a place in a cool neighborhood in Sugarhouse. Like both areas alot but have almost come to prefer Holladay. Both are quick trips to downtown, riding areas, and the resorts. You'll probably hear some interesting opinions on living in PC vs SLC. I've heard both are great but have also heard a few former PCers say they moved to SLC because they spent all their time here anyway. Either way good luck and let us know when you'll be out!
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    I'd recommend the Sugarhouse and Avenues areas as well and also would add a good chunk of Holladay to that. We just bought a home in Holladay after 1.5 years of renting a place in a cool neighborhood in Sugarhouse. Like both areas alot but have almost come to prefer Holladay. Both are quick trips to downtown, riding areas, and the resorts. You'll probably hear some interesting opinions on living in PC vs SLC. I've heard both are great but have also heard a few former PCers say they moved to SLC because they spent all their time here anyway. Either way good luck and let us know when you'll be out!
    Yeah, I can second that. We lived in Park City for a year and moved back to SLC because we were spending all our time down in the valley. We both worked in SLC, and so we'd leave at 7 in the morning and get home at 10 at night. Plus I like the skiing a lot more in the Cottonwood Canyons. So we moved to Holladay.

From my house, I can get to Alta in 20 minutes, downtown SLC in 20 minutes, Park City in 30 minutes, and the nearest hiking trail is half a block away. The biggest problem is that it's a 10 minute drive to the nearest Starbucks, and I'm hopelessly addicted to mochas...

Park City is a more expensive real estate market, but it's also got pretty good appreciation (much better than SLC). And the mountain bike trail system in PC is getting better and better all the time. It all depends on what you want to have really close vs. what you're willing to spend half an hour driving to, and what your objectives are with regards to real estate.

So it sounds like you have a good strategy in mind. For renting, I'd look at Sugarhouse and the Avenues in particular. Those are great neighborhoods for meeting people and the foothills are still really close. Holladay is much more suburban in character. Craig's list is a good place to find rentals.

Park City, Utah
    Jun 2005

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll get back out that way soon and check those areas out. I look forward to meeting and riding with some of you in the future!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by PC68
    Thanks for all the great advice. I'll get back out that way soon and check those areas out. I look forward to meeting and riding with some of you in the future!

I just moved to SLC from Aspen, CO in April. I lived in CO my entire life (Ft. Collins, Boulder, Denver, Aspen, now SLC) up to this point. I can honestly say SLC is great so far. Far less crowded than anywhere in CO. I would usually come out to UT several time throughout the winter when I lived in CO to avoid the corwds and get in some real powder. Now my job brought me here. THere is a lot of industry here, I work in aerospace and there are several different companies here I could be happy with.

I moved into the Avenues. It rules. Old houses re-done and updated. It is tough to find a nice garage but I managed to, if you look and take your time you can find awesome places. I found a great place on 6th and I. The trails like BST, City Creek, Dry Creek, Bobsled and others are 6 blocks from my house. Downtown SLC is 6 blocks the other way. It rules. I lived in Aspen and I am as close to trails in SLC as I was there. Access to the mountains is so much easier than CO, especially Denver. In SLC you are right there. If you live in Sugarhouse you can be pretty close to Park City (~30 minutes), the Aves are a bit further North West but still within 45 minutes of PC. There is awesome biking all over this place, I did a fun ride up near Snowbasin last weekend, fun trails in PC the week before, all kinds of stuff around SLC and in the big and little cottonwood canyons, I am impressed, and the good stuff is still covered in snow (Crest, etc..). Snowbird is even still open to skiing on weekends through the 4th. This place rules, as a CO native I now see what I was missing. UT's stigma keeps a lot of people away, and makes it areally cool place for those brave enough to put stereotypes aside and enjoy what UT has to offer, awesome outdoors, close access, and good people. I have had no issues with the LDS, I drink and party and they keep to themselves for the most part. THe worst thing they can do is be overly polite from my experience to date. Some are jerks and look down on you, but many of us non-lds folks are jerks too. Overall everyone here is very cool.

Get out here. You'll dig it. And don't even get me started on how much better it is here in the winter than CO. POWDER!!!!!

It rules, period.

Cheers,
    B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

I Just Ride....

Good job! Yo Bortis!

Glad to see things are going better than expected for you Bortis!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Homer's problem child

Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Glad to see things are going better than expected for you Bortis!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Yep, life is good. I have been riding all over the place. I have done tons of different rides. Did Dog Lake and Pipeline to Rattlesnake yesterday and had a blast. Can't wiat for the Crest to become ridable. So far I am digging SLC, except for beer prices at the state liquer store. But the biking is good, less technical and much smoother than where I am coming from but fun.

Keep an eye out for a dude on a stealth black 5.5, I have been gettign out 3+ days a week lately. If we cross paths we should ride.

Over and out,
    B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....