From SL Trib "Greens to buy acres, junk idle Moab tram"- Mtbr.com

Feb 2005

From SL Trib "Greens to buy acres, junk idle Moab tram"

Saw this article in SL Tribune. I admit I don't know that much about the area, but I've ridden the tram and rim trail before and have heard about the jumps there. Was actually looking forward to riding them sometime this spring...

"The Conservancy has signed an agreement with a salvage company to dismantle and sell the scenic tram equipment. The Canyonlands office plans to recruit volunteers to help remove mountain-bike jumps and other gear installed on the property."

Read it here:

http://sltrib.com/utah/ci_2569843

What do you think?

-Ferg-

Brass Nipples!

Discussed at length on Passion:

{Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by theferg
    Saw this article in SL Tribune. I admit I don't know that much about the area, but I've ridden the tram and rim trail before and have heard about the jumps there. Was actually looking forward to riding them sometime this spring...

"The Conservancy has signed an agreement with a salvage company to dismantle and sell the scenic tram equipment. The Canyonlands office plans to recruit volunteers to help remove mountain-bike jumps and other gear installed on the property."

Read it here:

What do you think?

-Ferg-
    This is a huge blow to the DH/Freeride community. The other lift at the north end of town, in my opinion, is the largest reason why the last two owners had troubles making money. People assumed that THE lift wasen't running and had no idea the the Moab Skyway was there. They tore down the wrong lift imo. The narrow shelf that the Rim trail is on has been abused for years and should have been designated as a high use area in trade for other sensitive areas that haven't been beaten so badly. The oil stains on the rock are acceptable but MT bike jumps aren't? It makes me sad to think I will never ride it on my big bike again. The best downhill area in Moab by far, if not the only (previously) legal place to DH.
    And to top it all the rangers are now ticketing for riding "off trail" on slickrock! Where do you want me to ride if all I want to do is DH?
    But no one is reading this so F it!

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by theferg

Read it here:

What do you think?

-Ferg-
    This is a huge blow to the DH/Freeride community. The other lift at the north end of town, in my opinion, is the largest reason why the last two owners had troubles making money. People assumed that THE lift wasen't running and had no idea the the Moab Skyway was there. They tore down the wrong lift imo. The narrow shelf that the Rim trail is on has been abused for years and should have been designated as a high use area in trade for other sensitive areas that haven't been beaten so badly. The oil stains on the rock are acceptable but MT bike jumps aren't? It makes me sad to think I will never ride it on my big bike again. The best downhill area in Moab by far, if not the only (previously) legal place to DH.
    And to top it all the rangers are now ticketing for riding "off trail" on slickrock! Where do you want me to ride if all I want to do is DH?
    But no one is reading this so F it!

DOH!
    I'm reading it, and I agree 100%! It never ceases to amaze me at how the damage caused by horses and ORV's is semi-tolerated (and in many instances encouraged), yet point out even a single tread through crypto done by an MTB, and people scream environmental catastrophy. Especially in S. Utah, where the goddam hicks like to invoke that century-old law that they interpret as granting them the right to designate every cow path and stream bed as a county highway for (mostly) the purpose of giving ORV's even more unfettered access to truly pristine lands.

As you said, the Moab Rim was the ideal spot for a DH/FR playground, if there ever was one. Jumping the puddles of oil and transmission fluid left on the slickrock was always fun...

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    I'm reading it, and I agree 100%! It never ceases to amaze me at how the damage caused by horses and ORV's is semi-tolerated (and in many instances encouraged), yet point out even a single tread through crypto done by an MTB, and people scream environmental catastrophy. Especially in S. Utah, where the goddam hicks like to invoke that century-old law that they interpret as granting them the right to designate every cow path and stream bed as a county highway for (mostly) the purpose of giving ORV's even more unfettered access to truly pristine lands.

As you said, the Moab Rim was the ideal spot for a DH/FR playground, if there ever was one. Jumping the puddles of oil and transmission fluid left on the slickrock was always fun...
    I guess this is all too little, too late, hu! I'll always have the memories of what was. I may still push up atleast one more time just to give Emits trail another shot. By far the most death defying trail I'ver ever ridden. Totally exposed about 500 feet above the road right on the point of the canyon. It rolls over to the cliff and you have to ride(walk) down to a side wash that leads you away from the edge. My first (and only) try down I got a bit too much speed and almost had to ditched the bike but had just enough grip to get back on line. Very scary! I must be dumb, I love it. The portal trail (directly across the river) is exposed but not like this one. Most peole wouldn't even try walking off there. You need ropes to be safe. Whaaahooo.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    I guess this is all too little, too late, hu! I'll always have the memories of what was. I may still push up atleast one more time just to give Emits trail another shot..... Most peole wouldn't even try walking off there. You need ropes to be safe. Whaaahooo.
    LOL...knowing what and how you ride, I'm assuming the need for ropes even to walk the route would simply increase the lure of riding it. The Portal does more than enough for me to get the ol' palms sweating. I've never been on Emit's; sounds like a good one to try if I ever run out of Prozac and want to end it all in grand style.

Wonder how long before the stunts come down on the Rim? The incredible pain of pushing to the top with a DH bike in tow might be worth it one last time if I'm there again before all the fun stuff comes down....

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    LOL...knowing what and how you ride, I'm assuming the need for ropes even to walk the route would simply increase the lure of riding it. The Portal does more than enough for me to get the ol' palms sweating. I've never been on Emit's; sounds like a good one to try if I ever run out of Prozac and want to end it all in grand style.

Wonder how long before the stunts come down on the Rim? The incredible pain of pushing to the top with a DH bike in tow might be worth it one last time if I'm there again before all the fun stuff comes down....
    The locals have already started to remove the stunts so they can place them somewhere else. It's good there not going to waste. Not sure how far along they are. You could call Chile Pepper to find out more.
    Emits trail isn't on any maps. Emit is the guy that built the lift and park in the first place. He had the vision to have a 4 wheeler/moto trail that went up the last narrow shelf. He did a bunch of dynamiting to skirt around cliffs and make it (bairly) wide enough for a wheeler.
    He got dead ended into a 40 ft cliff but there is a way to climb down a rock slide canyon to get to it. Took a while for me to find the route but it's sweet. Happy to show any crazys that want to check it out. It would be a Ender for sure to slip on this one.