Skinny on LBS in Park City- Mtbr.com
    Die trying, not watching.

Skinny on LBS in Park City

My buddy and I are riding next week in Park City. I am not bringing my bike stand. I want to know if any of the bike shops in PC have a stand for public use? Which is the best bike shop in PC?
    Any info much appreciated.
    Just get up again ...

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The 3 main bike shops in PC are Cole Sport, Jans, and White Pine Touring. I'm not aware that any of them have a public bike stand, but White Pine does have one outside so I think that's your best bet. Just give them a call to find out. As to which one is the best? I shop around at all 3 of them although I think White Pine is the most mountain bike oriented of the three.

White Pine it is

Usually if the bike stand is outside, the shop let's customers use it. I will check them out.

Next question (tougher): you have 4 days to ride in PC - what do you ride.

My thoughts: Mid Mountain loop (I rode it about 5 years ago and loved it)
    Deer Valley trails from the lifts

Other suggestions??
    I have the 2004 editions of the Prime Cuts and the PC trail map put out by Mountain Trails - probably need to update one or both of those.
    I also heard about the Wasatch Crest Trail which I believe is not to far from PC. Is that trail worth the trip?
    Again, thanks for any advice you can provide.
    Just get up again ...

mtbr member
    Pick up a new 2009 map. They are very inexpensive and money goes to trail building. If you are strong you can head up to the crest from PC and ride it and drop down in to Canyons and then ride Mid mtn back to PC. What days are you going to be out there?

PC Map

I will buy the new map. We arrive in PC Monday evening (tomorrow), plan to ride Tues through Friday, and drive back to NorCal on Saturday. PM me if you want to join / lead a ride.
    Just get up again ...

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As supersize says, pick up a new trail map. They are not all that different from 1 year to the next, but if you're map is from 04 there will be some significant differences. The Crest is a great ride. If you don't want to climb all the way up from PC, you can park at the top of Guardsmans Pass and climb up from there which would save you a big chunk of climbing.

I also noticed that Jans has bike stand outside as well. Until I read your post, I had never thought about using a store stand before so I've never looked. The stand at Jans is outside the back of their store where they rent bikes.

So you have 3 of 4 days covered so far. On your other day I would just use your map and explore some trails in and around Park City and Deer Valley.

mtbr member

Ridge

There is also a fairly new trail that goes from the saddle at the bottom of Puke Hill south to the guardsman road. It's a couple of miles long as I recall and fairly flat. There is a turn off, I think, across the road from where it comes out on Guardsman. You can ride it all the way to Pinebrook.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboater
    There is also a fairly new trail that goes from the saddle at the bottom of Puke Hill south to the guardsman road. It's a couple of miles long as I recall and fairly flat. There is a turn off, I think, across the road from where it comes out on Guardsman. You can ride it all the way to Pinebrook.
    Where does the trail come out in Pinebrook? I live there.

mtbr member

In trail reviews

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...6_4583crx.aspx

It comes out at the old Ecker Hill Jump park.

I wrote this up in 2004 and updated it in 2008. It's a fun trail. There comes a point, going up, where you can turn right and hook into the mid mountain trail after 100 switchbacks down and up...maybe a thousand, I don't remember. if you go left instead, there's a fun 3 or 4 foot step to try going up and then another mile or 1.5 to the end. Makes a great 80 or 90 minute ride.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb
    Where does the trail come out in Pinebrook? I live there.

It's a secret but if you view my old posts you may find the map I posted on flickr. They are "private" trails which is total ******** but since I like the piece and quiet on those trails I will let you figure them out for yourself Also, if you live there you can get the map from the PBHOA.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm
    It's a secret but if you view my old posts you may find the map I posted on flickr. They are "private" trails which is total ******** but since I like the piece and quiet on those trails I will let you figure them out for yourself Also, if you live there you can get the map from the PBHOA.
    Yeah, I actually have that map and I've lived here for a couple of years so I know these trails fairly well. It sounded like he was saying there's a way to access the Crest trail directly from Pinebrook. If so, I haven't found it yet. The most direct way I would know to get there from here would be to get on mid-mountain from the pinebrook trails and get on the Crest connector in the Canyons.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Gotcha....Yeah, I don't know of any way to come down from the Crest directly into Pinebrook but that would be awesome. Do you know of a way to connect from PB to the new trails in Summit Park? Someone said a trail exists that cuts across the Toll Canyon land??
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    The ridge is lower near Pinebrook. The midmountain trail is actually within a hundred feet or so from the ridge at that point, but I'm also not aware of a trail above it actually on the very top of the ridge. As you go north, you get an opportunity to climb to the ridge near at Rob's trail, I think.
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member

North, south, it's all the same

"As you go north, you get an opportunity to climb to the ridge near at Rob's trail, I think."

Sorry, I should have said, "as you go south toward The Canyons, a trail cuts up to the ridge, near Rob's..." I think that's the first opportunity to climb up to the ridge.

Regarding new trails in Summit Park, do you have any more info?
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm
    Gotcha....Yeah, I don't know of any way to come down from the Crest directly into Pinebrook but that would be awesome. Do you know of a way to connect from PB to the new trails in Summit Park? Someone said a trail exists that cuts across the Toll Canyon land??
    Your post reminded me that I had not ridden the Summit Park trails yet, so I went up there earlier this evening. I rode up from Pinebrook, up Innsbrook Strasse to the first trail head you come to and then on to Short Stack and then right on Road to WOS. Basically I did a counter clockwise loop around the trails. First of all, those trails are fun! pretty hard packed, but they flow nicely. If there's a way to get over to the West Perimeter trail in Pinebrook, I would think it's at the top of Road to WOS. When I was up at the highest point there was a double track that looks like it goes down into Tollgate Canyon. It was really steep going down and it was getting late so I didn't want to try that out today.

I would think there's a decent chance you could ride from that point down into the canyon and figure out a way to come out on the West Perimeter trail where it crosses the access point to Tollgate Canyon. However, the double track didn't look like it would be a lot of fun. Other than that I can't see how to connect the two. I rode from the mid mountain trail down to Gorgoza Park the other day and the only trail or road I noticed heading off to the left was the dirt road that has the gate across heading into Tollgate Canyon in upper Pinebrook.

mtbr member
    I've started at the pond at Gorgoza Park (that's where they sled, right?) and ridden up a ways, (maybe a couple of miles) but never saw a way to hook into the midmountain trail. Do you need to get onto a road to do it?
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nope. Just ride straight up from the sledding/pond area and stay right at all trail intersections. This will put you on the West Perimeter trail. Stay on that trail for several miles (not sure how many). Eventually you will come to a double track, make a right and you will see a water tank right in front of you. Stay to the right of the tank and keep going up. Not too far after that you will come to a T intersection. Make a right and you are basically on the mid-mountain trail, but you still have some climbing to do before you're up to 8000 feet. I think at the T you are at ~7500'. It's a good climb to get to that point from Gorgoza.
    Last edited by dcb; 08-23-2009 at 07:48 AM.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb
    Nope. Just ride straight up from the sledding/pond area and stay right at all trail intersections. This will put you on the West Perimeter trail. Stay on that trail for several miles (not sure how many). Eventually you will come to a double track, hand a right and you will see a water tank right in front of you. Stay to the right of the tank and keep going up. Not too far after that you will come to a T intersection. Hand a right and you are basically on the mid-mountain trail, but you still have some climbing to do before you're up to 8000 feet. I think at the T you are at ~7500'. It's a good climb to get to that point from Gorgoza.

I've climbed up to MM that way many times and I think it's a solid 6+ miles from Gorgoza......
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

Members who have read this thread: 0