Shout out for my favorite bike shop!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shout out for my favorite bike shop!!!!

So Many times in the last 4 years that I've been a patron of Revolution bike shop in Sandy I have walked out the door thinkin," this is the best friekin bike shop in Utah". I remember the first time I went there, I had an old crappy trek that I'd blown the sid shock on it comng down porcy. I went to a few shops, all of them quoting me $50.00 or more. I picked my crap fork up the next day out a cool $20.00 fully rebuilt from Matt at Rev.
    Since then Ive probably spent 10+ K there on bikes, parts etc, and everytime I walk out the door I think to myself (yeah you know).. I remember when I bought my first bike there, a cannondale prophet, Ryan the mechanic spent a few hours with me fittin me to the bike, swapping out the stem, having me ride it around and studying my pedal stroke...Over the top bike service..
    A year and a half ago I walked in, just happened to be in the neighborhood, and one of the owners Brad grabbed me and pointed out a freshly built new 29er, the Spider..He knew that I rode 29ers and asked me if I'd like to play on it for the weekend...Brand new---How cool is that.. (okay so it worked I bought one 6 months later)..
    9 months ago they built up a wheel for me , i hadnt even driven it home and it fell off my car tacoed the rim..Took it back and they jimmy rigged it until they could get a new rim in then built it up labor free..
    I mention these things because Ive been to a lot of shops throughout many states, they are all so impersonal.. I got kicked out of canyons because I was offended when they accused me of stealing a pair of shorts then trying to return them( they were a b-day present purchased by one of there employees for me! tags still on it), stumbled into a employee meeting at Bingham and overheard the owner lecturing the mechanics for doing quick fixmees for there loyal customers, demanding that they CHARGE them for any teeny bit of labor. A shop on the west side 2 minutes from my new home refused to let me use there headset press (the only tool i dont have personally) and then charged me $20.00 for a 20 second labor job!!!!! I mean WTF..Whatever happened to treat your customers right and you have a customer for life...The 4 different places I've lived in the last 4 years have all been right next to bike shops that I've had to drive right past and go the distance to get to rev..
    And finally today, I tacooed my front wheel, it has to be shipped off to I9 to be fixed (they have funky spokes and rims) putting me out of the saddle for at least a week. I only own one bike and several friek incidents have made it so none of my friends could loan me one. Melissa at rev took the front wheel off there racer x demo bike and rented it to me for a very fair price for the next week. What a shop..Anyways I just had to mention it today after all this shop has done for me over the years...Viva La REVOLUTION!!!!
    Last edited by dosboy; 08-27-2008 at 08:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've only heard good things about revolution. I know one of the owners and he's a great guy...way in shape for his age
    Last edited by nmpearson; 08-30-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Aug 2008

Friends of Friends

Be cafeful with hearsay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesaretheanswer
    Be cafeful with hearsay.
    What do you mean hearsay friends of friends??? These are all first hand experiences of my own dealings with these shops...No friend of friend hearsay stated...Clarify????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dosboy
    What do you mean hearsay friends of friends??? These are all first hand experiences of my own dealings with these shops...No friend of friend hearsay stated...Clarify????
    I believe he was referring to the other post......

P.S.... JANS!

mtbr member
    Yeah, now that I re read it I think you are correct..Whats "JANS!"?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dosboy
    Whats "JANS!"?

http://www.jans.com/index.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've got to jump in and back Dosboy on this one! I also, have a love for Revolution bikes... they are really the only bike shop in the Salt Lake City area that have any kind of knowledgeable staff / bike mechanics. I live in the south end of the valley and have to drive past 2 or 3 shops to get to Revolution. It's worth the extra drive because they always take such good care of me.
    I also have to throw a little dirt at Canyon Bikes in Draper. I try not to go into that shop much, simply because I always come out disappointed! Case in point, just last month I dropped by their shop, at a friends request, he wanted to help me swap a headset between frames. I wanted to just run to Revolution, but they would have been closed by the time I made the trek over there. So, I was happy that my friend could help me out. Well, to make a long story short his manager freeked out when he saw us working on the bikes (just changing a headset). Then he pretty much kicked me out of the store, threatening my friend with termination of his employment. We still hadn't finished this simple job, we had only removed the headset. About an hour later he reluctantly agreed, at my friends request, to at least let him press my headset in for me. I needed to use the damn bike the next day. Well, of course, when it was all said and done he just had to charge me $5.00 for labor even after all the hassle he put me through. What a bunch of A$$Holes! For one, don't treat ME your customer like a piece of Sh&t and Two; who wants to work for an employer that's so short tempered. I really can't stand that shop!!! Unfortunantly, most of their customers are typically new to the sport and will probably never read this post or hear my voice of warning :^) Here's hoping that they some how find this post and never purchase anything from that shop, I can only imagine the level of service they provide... or lack thereof after you've purchased one of their bikes.

Jun 2008
    I have similar feelings for Guthrie's in SLC (I think they are really good). The first time I went in there I had a frame that needed a headset pressed, and they did it for free even though I wasn't buying anything else. I then went back there when I was looking for a new mtb, and found them really knowledgeable and helpful, and ended up getting a Santa Cruz Blur XC from them. Every time I have been in there they have been really helpful, even recommending me to other shops when they don't have what I am looking for. Definitely the shop to go it if you are in the Sugarhouse area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would agree with that, Guthrie's was my goto shop when I lived in the sugarhouse area about 5 yrs ago. They have always treated me well and the staff is good to work with! I purchased a Trek and a Klein from them back in the day...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccharles
    I have similar feelings for Guthrie's in SLC (I think they are really good). The first time I went in there I had a frame that needed a headset pressed, and they did it for free even though I wasn't buying anything else. I then went back there when I was looking for a new mtb, and found them really knowledgeable and helpful, and ended up getting a Santa Cruz Blur XC from them. Every time I have been in there they have been really helpful, even recommending me to other shops when they don't have what I am looking for. Definitely the shop to go it if you are in the Sugarhouse area.
    I lived in sugarhood years ago, the owner of guthries was pretty cool , I considered and almost bought my prophet 3 years ago from them, but eventually went to rev due to the fit series they do with everyone who buys a bike from them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson

WHats that mean??

mtbr member
    Every time I have been into Guthrie's the staff have been good as gold. That said, I do A LOT of business on/in front of a computer and thus, communicate via e-mail a ton. I used Guthrie's e-mail off their website on 3 different occasions and never heard back once.

If you have a contact email, either respond or get rid of it. To me it is no different than not returning a phone call. The may be ignorant to their missing the emails, but ignorance is not an excuse in my book. Again, if you don't use it, don't have it on your website.

I hooked up with JANS and didn't look back....

mtbr member

Great shop!

I have had a great experience at Revolution also. A bolt came loose, and caused my rear RP23 Shock to Break off a mounting fin from my Titus Moto-Lite. It was my fault for not checking my bike over before I did the ride. So neither Titus nor Revolution were liable, but they helped me out anyway!!! Revolution sent the frame in to Titus, and Titus backed the frame up to the tune of $800.00, which I applied toward the purchase of a 2007 Titanium Moto-Lite. Both Titus and Revolution were very, very awesome to work with.

That being said, I live down here in Springville, and a trip to Revolution is always far for me.

My LBS (Blayn's Cycling) here in Springville really needs more recognition. Blayn owns the shop, and when you take your bike in for ANY repair, it ALWAYS comes back performing BETTER THAN WHEN YOU TOOK IT IN!!!

I know we all have our favorite mechanics and shops, but I just had to put in a plug for a very small bike shop that does EXCELLENT work on high-end mountain bikes. I've been taking my bikes to his shop for several years now, and I've always been thankful for how hard he tries to "GET IT RIGHT."

It's kind of rare to find shops like this now.
    -Paul
    "It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary (Summits Mt. Everest, 29,035 feet - May 29, 1953)

Aug 2008

Yes

I was referring to a post that seems to have been deleated where the poster was saying he has had friends take a bike to binghams for a brake adjustment that was under thier 2 year warranty and they had to wait a week, and whatever else. I just wanted to point out that some of the details are often missing in these friend of a friend accounts.

I go to revolution and think its the best shop going by far. however I double flatted on a ride last season and rode to binghams on foothill, and they were great. Sold me a tube, put it in for me, pumped it up, made sure I did not lose my tubeless valve stem, and got me rolling asap. So I thought I would defend them a little and say that they helped me when I needed it. Sorry I should have been more specific

Jun 2008

Revolution

I'm also a huge fan of revolution. I wanted to get into MTB and decided to find a shop I liked first, then get the bike. The guys, and Gal at Revolution are great. I broke my seat on my first ride (wreck) and they replaced it "no charge" even though it was clearly my fault. They put me on a great canondale rize 4 and now I'm hooked. My advice is to find a great shop, and ride like it like you stole it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You broke a seat and nothing else? What kind of a crash was that?...sorry a bit off topic, but just curious

Jun 2008

crash

Over the Handlebars crash. I broke my seat and had to get x-rays on my shoulder but other than that the bike was great. I was coming down mill canyon trail in A.F. (a little too fast) and hit a huge root. My first real wipeout. I'll try to avoid doing that from now on.

mtbr member
    Love me some Revo as well. Only beef I have with them is when I went in there exploring the option of buying a Moots and they kept pushing me towards a Titus. Nothing heavy handed or anything.

Canyon sucks balls. They would not even sell me a Sram powerlink because I mentioned it was for an XTR chain. They said it was incompatible and would not go into the back to see if they had any. I'm sure if I pressed the issue someone would have grabbed me one but I thought that that experience speaks volumes about a shop and decided to go buy a batch of Powerlinks at Revo.

The problem is, shops like Canyon know that the lion's share of their revenue is generated from trendy Roadies who go in and drop 7k on a Specialized cookie cutter rig just to look like the guy they saw riding up Traverse Ridge. They don't need return costumers. Again, suck balls.
    Last edited by ErrantGorgon; 09-03-2008 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The problem is, shops like Revo know that the lion's share of their revenue is generated from trendy Roadies who go in and drop 7k on a Specialized cookie cutter rig just to look like the guy they saw riding up Traverse Ridge. They don't need return costumers. Again, suck balls.
    I think there are a ton of trendy Mt Bikers who do the same on the 8K carbon Specialized bikes at suck balls canyons as well. However, being a return customer at rev/ having referred multittudes of friends and family there that also have dropped loads of dough goes to show taking care of your customers pays dividends

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I live in Draper and Canyon is the worst place in the world. Will try Rev. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tws_andrew
    I live in Draper and Canyon is the worst place in the world. Will try Rev. Thanks

You wont be dissapointed, its not really that far when you take in consideration how big of @$$ holes canyon's has. So what was your experience like? Try to narrow it down to less then 10, I know it may be hard....

mtbr member
    This is therapeutic.

I once told a dude at Canyons that I was working on an Independent Fabrication build and he asked, "Is it cheaper going through an independent fabricator?"

balls

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

I live in Sugarhouse...

I too have finally found a shop that I love. I ride a Jamis, and so I tried Highlander Bike first. ABSOLUTE CRAP. My bike sat there for a week while they were supposed to be working on some warranty stuff and after a whole week they hadn't even spoken with Jamis yet. To make things worse, it came back with oil all over it and the derailleur hanger bent. I couldn't believe it. They didn't even work on the bike and they still managed to give it back to me in worse condition than I gave it to them.

I took it to Wild Rose in the avenues and got real customer service. Flo not only fixed my bike a day earlier than he had quoted me, he did it cheaper than he quoted me, AND he washed my bike.

I would also steer clear of Hyland cyclery and Canyon on wasatch blvd. I have had bad experiences with both. If I can't do it myself because I don't have the tools or access to the parts, it's off to Wild Rose from now on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matamua

I would also steer clear of Hyland cyclery and Canyon on wasatch blvd. I have had bad experiences with both. If I can't do it myself because I don't have the tools or access to the parts, it's off to Wild Rose from now on.
    Funny you mention the canyons on highland,, I've only been there once, I was doing a big road/trail loop on my way to the community college two years ago.My brake pad had gone bad upfront. The staff treated me like a pee-on because I had bb-5's (not hydros) or some fancy spencive brake, they were real buttheads in explaining to me that thy'd never heard of the brake, and certainly didnt have any pads. They also asked me why I rode on such brakes..(I didnt want to take the time to explain that my other 3 bikes had bb7's).. Retards

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Glad to see this thread...

When I moved here I started out dealing with Canyon, had some decent service my first time but subsequently was given cold shoulder and bad attitude from a young (my guess by the uber tight pants) BMX kid that was wrenching that day. And another time they charged me $5 to look at a hub and they did nothing to it, recommended I buy a new wheel! A friend recommended Revolution and my first experience was great and it has only gotten better. I took that wheel that Canyon charged me $ to not even do anything with and they rebuilt the hub for cheap, works like new. They gave me some free advice on the setup of my bike, they don't even sell GF, and it worked like a charm, bike has never ridden better. The best was when my wife and I took a wheel in off her road bike, it needed a new rim strip. This is something I could have done myself but Rev has been so good to me I wanted (are you listening Canyon?) to give them my money for this mundane task. Ryan sparked up a conversation with my wife and when he found out we were fixing up the bike so she could start commuting to class he was full of praise and advice on commuting. Treated her like she was special. (are you listening Canyon?) Just charged for the rim tape, no labor. FKNA! I have made the concious decision that the stuff I usually get off the internet I will now patronize Revolution for these things.

One day when I can afford a $4-5K Titus, or Turner, or Pivot I will gladly give them my hard earned bucks becaue they pay it back to you 10X with service and awesome attitude....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefugitive
    When I moved here I started out dealing with Canyon, had some decent service my first time but subsequently was given cold shoulder and bad attitude from a young (my guess by the uber tight pants) BMX kid that was wrenching that day. And another time they charged me $5 to look at a hub and they did nothing to it, recommended I buy a new wheel! A friend recommended Revolution and my first experience was great and it has only gotten better. I took that wheel that Canyon charged me $ to not even do anything with and they rebuilt the hub for cheap, works like new. They gave me some free advice on the setup of my bike, they don't even sell GF, and it worked like a charm, bike has never ridden better. The best was when my wife and I took a wheel in off her road bike, it needed a new rim strip. This is something I could have done myself but Rev has been so good to me I wanted (are you listening Canyon?) to give them my money for this mundane task. Ryan sparked up a conversation with my wife and when he found out we were fixing up the bike so she could start commuting to class he was full of praise and advice on commuting. Treated her like she was special. (are you listening Canyon?) Just charged for the rim tape, no labor. FKNA! I have made the concious decision that the stuff I usually get off the internet I will now patronize Revolution for these things.

One day when I can afford a $4-5K Titus, or Turner, or Pivot I will gladly give them my hard earned bucks becaue they pay it back to you 10X with service and awesome attitude....

Amen Brotha- Preach on!!!!

mtbr member
    You know I don't post a lot on here due to time issues but I've got to chime in here and give my praise to Revolution as well. Ryan and crew are some of the few people I'll let touch my bikes. I can't even tell you how much hassle these guys have saved me not to mention money! Carl, Matt (in the good old days), Ryan, Twitch - everyone there just plain rocks - all good guys, all killer mechanics, and all willing to help even a hack like me who rolls in with a bike that weighs twice what they normally work on. I won't go anywhere else unless they just can't get what I need (which is practically never). By a bike there and you'll have someone that backs up what they sell. Get a bike worked on there and you'll get quality work for half what you'd pay elswhere. When you get that killer deal . . buy them a 12-pack or something - they deserve it!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedaveshome
    You know I don't post a lot on here due to time issues but I've got to chime in here and give my praise to Revolution as well. Ryan and crew are some of the few people I'll let touch my bikes. I can't even tell you how much hassle these guys have saved me not to mention money! Carl, Matt (in the good old days), Ryan, Twitch - everyone there just plain rocks - all good guys, all killer mechanics, and all willing to help even a hack like me who rolls in with a bike that weighs twice what they normally work on. I won't go anywhere else unless they just can't get what I need (which is practically never). By a bike there and you'll have someone that backs up what they sell. Get a bike worked on there and you'll get quality work for half what you'd pay elswhere. When you get that killer deal . . buy them a 12-pack or something - they deserve it!!

I could'nt agree more. There wrenches (twitch, ryan, and carl are the best I've ever had work on my bikes. Ive had them work on some really wierd crap too over the years. If you know me , you know I like to try out wierd, unusual stuff. They built me a wheel around a used rohloff hub I got from ebay..And helped me figure out how to use it.. The spoke lengths were very different then any other wheel (not to mention it was built into a 29er wheel, I then ran it into a drivethrough, and tacooed the crap out of it...They then built it up again at a huge discount because they felt bad for me destroying my wheel before I could even use it...MMMM what els, They've built me 4 pairs of wheels, the last reguilt I9 wheels are very custom and hard to figure out. Perfectly rebuilt countless shocks, (most mechanics cant figure them out) and they are the only shop in Utah that knows how to tear down, and fix any problem with a lefty (ive owned two).
    Just amazing knowledge and skill. Most wrenches I talk too about 29ers, single speed cogs or Eccentric Bottom brckets, rohloff hubs or custom titanium bikes, snow bikes (pugsly); dont even know what the heck Im talking about. Especially the 16 year olds at canyons, they just look at me with a clueless stare....
    Keep it coming, I know there are a lot more amazing stories out there

Apr 2007
    I have always taken my bikes to Bountiful Bicycle Center. Very competent and friendly staff. My friend crashed my bike and the dust seal around the headset broke. They ordered it and installed it for me free of charge. Also installed my computer on there for free. They all know their bikes and actually ride their bikes (which is more than I can say for some of the other bike shop employees).

Bingham in Sandy was full of high school punks that didn't know jack about bikes. My friend was trying to get his bike put back together after getting it shipped, and some punk kid came up and quoted him like 2 weeks. I grabbed the bike and I took it to Bountiful Bikes the next morning and picked it up at 2PM the same day (for a cheaper price!!)

I was in Canyon Cycles in Draper a few weeks ago, and some high school chick was trying to help me, but she obviously did not know much about bikes at all. No other help was available. What a joke. I felt like I was in Wal Mart.

I will also try out Revolution, Guthries and Wild Rose.

Members who have read this thread: 0