Shocks no longer needed on the BST??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Shocks no longer needed on the BST??

Buddy of mine today said the trail is in the process of being smoothed out....so much that in some spots, he wished he was on a rigid fork. He said a road bike could handle it. Anyone have any proof of this? Now the trail is supposed to go from Ogden to Provo or something like that. I rode it near Ogden and remember 2 years ago that part was as rocky as hell. He tells me that is all smoothed out. Am I just hearing BS? Or does anyone have any info? I would think they would finish the trail before they pull out any rocks.

gunslinger
    I hope not... don't need no roadies up there.

Seriously, why would they smooth it out??? (an honest question)

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I think this was beaten to death last week, way to finally catch up slacker: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=620593

They're smoothing it out due to Chumley suffering from a herniated disk. The rocks cause jarring which in turn causes him to squeel. It's quite frightening to hear.

Give it a year and all the rocks will be back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by selector
    I hope not... don't need no roadies up there.

Seriously, why would they smooth it out??? (an honest question)
    Are you kidding? You can't throw a rock off that trail without hitting a 29er/700c/might as well be a road bike.

There are a few groups that volunteer to maintain the BST. Most of the work is cutting back scrub oak and creating drainage for puddle areas. This year it seems some work was focused in on clearing a few areas that had more rocks than previously.

The BST in general is for all walks of life including those who might not be fit enough to ride a bike on it. For that matter I pull (yes, with my rigid 29er) my kid in a trailer (60 lbs total) over large sections of the BST without much trouble at all. So, it isn't exactly a garly trail to begin with.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    For that matter I pull (yes, with my rigid 29er) my kid in a trailer (60 lbs total) over large sections of the BST without much trouble at all. So, it isn't exactly a garly trail to begin with.
    What section of the BST are you pulling a trailer? I would love to haul my son with with on a few easy rides.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Are you kidding? You can't throw a rock off that trail without hitting Chumley.

The BST in general is for all walks of life....
    No joke. It's like the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow up there now. Took some epic helmet cam footage of my ride from Dry to City Creek last night. Some shots are in B&W so as to be artsy:

One of the more technical sections:

All in all, it's still a decent trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcgrew
    What section of the BST are you pulling a trailer? I would love to haul my son with with on a few easy rides.
    I ride the section from the Zoo over to the top of Bobsled and back. This weekend I hope to do some Glenwild with him and the wife. I have a Chariot brand trailer with suspension and I run the biggest BMX tires I can find at about 8psi. You still need to go real slow on the descents and sometimes even on the rougher climbing sections.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Took some epic helmet cam footage of my ride from Dry to City Creek last night. Some shots are in B&W so as to be artsy
    Well played, sir. I saw a few of those people tonight while I was riding my road bike up there.

altazo
    Are you kidding? You can't throw a rock off that trail without hitting a 29er/700c/might as well be a road bike.

There are a few groups that volunteer to maintain the BST. Most of the work is cutting back scrub oak and creating drainage for puddle areas. This year it seems some work was focused in on clearing a few areas that had more rocks than previously.

The BST in general is for all walks of life including those who might not be fit enough to ride a bike on it. For that matter I pull (yes, with my rigid 29er) my kid in a trailer (60 lbs total) over large sections of the BST without much trouble at all. So, it isn't exactly a garly trail to begin with.

Agreed.

Complainers should pick their battles a little better. It's an entry level trail. Grannies with motorized wallkers should be able to use it...

Believe it or not, mtb'ers were riding that trail before suspension to begin with.

mtbr member
    Not between Layton and where you hit the road by the "B". I rode out to Mueller and back and the "trail" is a sandy, rocky, eroded mess from all the motorcycles.

1/4 semi-pro
    i dont know why you guys say that. i did not hurt my disk. i strained my muscle once helping my borhter move once. i have only ridden that trail twice so far and it was not much fun so i stopped going. ihave been mostly riding in park city on the flying dog trail and have ridden ant farm six times or seven. i would really recommend ant farm more than the shoreline as it has jumps and berms and there is a bridge you can practice on too. my favorite trail is pirate but i busted my wheel on it once so i had to walk down. mostly i will just ride pirate when there is no snow. i walked up there in march and there was still to much snow to ride on so i did not go up on my bike. im considering going up again to check it out but after my riding this weekend i think that there will be mor snow. we cut down about 7 trees and felled a pole that was in the way over the sunday so that the other trails were clear now so we rode that one. gonna have to get a new chain for my saw but i hhave to work for my sister this weekend so i can't ride or fel any more trees until sunday again and clear mor trails out fr riding more. im hoping to start cleaning off the humdinger for riding soon if you want rocks and jumps and things i would definitely ride that trail. i rode it the most last year and now i cant even look at the shoreline except bobsled which is pretty cool to ride with the guys. if i were you id do that race they are having. they tease me about it so i have to teaste back but its fun.
    not anti-bobsled

Members who have read this thread: 0