Semi-slicks on white rim?- Mtbr.com
    Open the canned peaches!

Semi-slicks on white rim?

I'm heading to the white rim trail next week with a couple of buddies and was wondering about riding semi-slicks on the trail. I've never been there and I know it's not a technical trail, but would the semis be pushing it? They're 1.6 conti goliaths that I used to have on a commuter. My only other choice is the 2.35 maxxis' currently on my yeti 575, which seem pretty slooow for a ride like this. I'll be in no hurry as we're doing it in 3 days with support, but just wondered if these would make my ride a little easier.
    And while I'm at it if anyone would like to chime in with ideas for side trips while we're on the trail, that would be cool too, as it sounds like we'll have some time for that kind of stuff.
    Aiight, thanks.
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

Bored Carp
    Just ride the tires you like. The White Rim isn't particularly technical, but it is pretty bumpy in places. In particular, The texture of the section from Shaefer to the southernmost point is akin to riding on a rumblestrip created by an over-enthusiastic highway department worker with time on his hands and some extra gravel. You will also encounter a fair amount of sand and some pretty loose, moon-dusty places on the 3 climbs. There are also a lot of super mellow, smooth dirt road sections.

Have fun!
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I did it in one day on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Kenda Small Block 8's in a 2.35 were the ticket. Very fast and light, but great traction.
    dakotakid

Deroymac
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid
    I did it in one day on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Kenda Small Block 8's in a 2.35 were the ticket. Very fast and light, but great traction.
    dakotakid
    dakotakid
    Hey saw your post. Being that we had never met it's too funny you were also using small block 8's. We did ride same day, we camped within a mi of each other (see pic of my "Orange Toaster") ,same start time, same direction , we must have passed each other at least four times and now I find out we were using same tires.
    Next time (maybe this Fall) we should just do ride together.

KBZ77- I would just keep your 2.35 on bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wow McCormick, small world for sure, posting here and riding there. I noticed your tracks, thought they had to have been the SB8's and meant to ask you or look closer. It was fun cruising that piece of heaven with you. We had the perfect day. Finished in 9:50, and you couldn't have been but a few minutes behind. It blew me away just how well you were doing post-surgery.
    Definitely looking at doing it in the fall, maybe with a friend, and my wife is considering it too. Off tomorrow through Tuesday for camping and riding Fruita and GJ area.
    Let's stay in touch.
    John "dakotakid" Woeste

Members who have read this thread: 0