Self-guided vacation through Moab.....- Mtbr.com
    Mileage Junkie
    May 2004

Self-guided vacation through Moab.....

Hey all,

Myself and my S.O. are looking to spend 4-5 days in Moab doing some light mountain biking (she's a beginner, and we both want the scenery). Where else but Moab right?

We'd rather not do a guided tour type of thing, so we can do as we wish, ride at whatever pace we want, stop to do whatever, etc. So we have to sorta figure this out on our own.

My main concern is trail markings, or maps in general for the offroad areas. Are they adequate, or something that only the locals know and out of towners are SOL? I'm googling and looking for anything I can find, but am wondering about the "on the trail" issues. Everything looks nice from a satellite......

Also, places to stay. I can find a lot of that online with reviews, but suggestions are always welcome. Stay in town, out of town and drive, other options?

I think that's all I can come up with for now to get me going. We'd appreciate any help thrown our way.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Should be fine

Most of the novice and intermediate trails are relitivly well marked in moab. There are plenty of maps and books that can help you out. Certainly some of the longer epic rides can be confusing. If your looking for some nice begginer intermediate rides I suggest
    Harrah pass(sp?) dirt road that goes up to harrah pass. Very pretty with almost no tech sections
    Gemini Bridges- Well traveld 4wheel drive rd to gemini bridges. Alittle sandy but easy ride
    Soverine trail- Some nice moderate single track- Well marked and not too tech
    Courthouse loop-This is a slightly harder rout to follow but still should be no problems. Its the old road into archs np. The rout takes you from the old jeep road(the one abby drove) to the new paved road. Nice moderate climb with little tech sections. Cruise down on pavement back to your car.Riding down the paved park road at sunset is a great experience.
    Bartlett Wash Great slickrock playground. no real rout just lots of fun. Wayy smoother then slick rock trail. Cant get lost. Good for a hour or two or three. Great place to hang out during sunset
    Have fun

BSG

Members who have read this thread: 0