Sedona, Moab - Last week of February?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Sedona, Moab - Last week of February?

I know no one can predict the weather but in a typical winter, or typical el nino winter, what's the riding like at the end of february?

Is amasa back/captain ahab, slickrock, porc rim, etc.. rideable and/or in good shape? and for hiking, would there be snow at delicate arch?

As far as i know sedona is pretty much snow free year round, so it should be good to go for riding that time of year? if we only have 1-2 days to ride any trails to suggest that are scenic/fun but without deadly exposure (or at least not so much of that we can walk bits here and there)?

thanks!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Poison Spider bike shop in Moab posted a photo of snow in town yesterday. It looked like about 6". Snow there tends to melt off after a few days although the higher rides like Porcupine Rim stay snowed in or too wet for much longer. Also, during rainy periods the creek crossing to Ahab is dangerous to impossible. It is also difficult to get to many good trails such as Klondike Bluffs. Major portions of Mag 7 could have snow.

The odds of you getting even one ridable day in this winter is rather poor unless you spend a couple of weeks there.

Weather reports are unreliable. Last March I was going to attend Outerbike and the weather reports looked bad for that event. However, it cleared just before the event. It goes the other direction also.

You will probably hit snow on the road approaching Moab from the south or west. Certainly possible from the other directions also.

The best times for riding south UT are April into early June and mid-Sept to the end of October. During the summer you need to be on the trails by dawn and off by 11 AM. Short evening rides sometimes work out. 105 degrees out on those rocks feels hotter than 120 F in Death Valley.

Nearby Fruita, CO moved their bike festival from the beginning of April to the end of April to try to get better weather. Outerbike festival in Moab moved from the beginning of March to the end of March and even then it is likely to have some bad days. However, there are so many events in Moab in April and May that they probably couldn't get any weekends then.

And then there are the high winds in the late winter into the spring all across the desert regions. I've been blown off trails in March and April. The flying dust and sand gets old fast. These last for days.

There is good riding around Tucson in the winter. Sedona should be good but 1 -2 days doesn't give you much of a weather window.

Jim
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Yep, what Jim said. Sedona is a better bet in late February but even there you could get rained or (possibly) snowed out. Good news is that Phoenix and Tucson aren't too far away if you do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    thanks guys, we'll just spend all 4 days in the sedona area, and have phoenix/tuscon as plan B's.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Good idea. 4 days in Sedona will go really fast! Visit Over The Edge Sports there for maps and trail updates. Bike and Bean is another good shop. Try them both.

Cheap lodging is a ***** in Sedona, one reason we migrated to Moab about a decade ago. Good luck with that.

Try to get a month free sometime and hit Moab for two weeks, Zion / St. George for a week, and Sedona if you want to return after riding Utah. I spend usually two weeks in Moab every year but I was there for 3 weeks last October and a week riding Zion / St. George trails. Also did Rampage and Outerbike. I'm still trying to get my head back into work.

:-)
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.