Sedona Fat Tire Festival- April 23-24 (Easter Weekend)- Mtbr.com
    banned

Sedona Fat Tire Festival- April 23-24 (Easter Weekend)

I have been given the OK to let MTBR mountain bikers country wide know that Sedona is having its first Fat Tire Festival on April 23-24. As many riders know Sedona's has fun technical trails that cater to advanced intermediate or higher skilled riders.

The end of April is normally an ideal time to ride in Sedona, due to its perfect climate at that time. Many riders around the country who are normally stuck in a crummy springtime condition at that time of year, might seriously consider giving Sedona a try ,to prove it is in fact a mountain bikers paradise. If you haven't been to Sedona in the last two years, you are in for an unbelievable riding experience.

I, and other Sedona locals, will be showing the attendees a great riding experience. As the self-appointed Sedona mountain biking ambassador my mission is to give visiting mountain bikers the best riding experience for their hard earned vaction dollar.

I am attaching one of my never completed information pieces for some trails and rides that might put a smile on your face. I have numerous other Sedona rides in Everytrail.com that might give you a more comprehensive review of our vast trail system. Just search under traildoc to get a full list.

I hear Ibis and Turner are on board, so it might give you an opportunity to check out a 5" or 6" rig on one of the best trail systems in the country.

As a side note the Sea Otter is the week before the Sedona event and the Fruita Fat Tire Festival is a week after.

Hope to see you at the event,

TD
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Are the any places to stay that don't cost a weeks take home per night?

If yes list em.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    Are the any places to stay that don't cost a weeks take home per night?

If yes list em.
    That is a great question. How much a night are you talking about? There are a few camp grounds around the area that are FREE, but the closest is about eight miles west of the event site.

I will ask the promoter to put together a list of accomodations for us.

TD

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You have to drive a bit out of town, but we always camp remotely. (10 minutes from downtown) Usually wake up to some tourists on quads riding through camp, but it beats hotels and camp grounds with RV's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Oh my. Sedona. Guided ride with TD. So very tempting... who's promoting this event anyway?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sedona is sweet. If you haven't been..go. I went twice in one summer a couple years back. Enjoyed it very much!
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    Oh my. Sedona. Guided ride with TD. So very tempting... who's promoting this event anyway?
    A guy who lives in Flagstaff and works in Sedona, so he rides here a lot. If you ask me he is crazy to take on this event, but who am I to talk him out of it.

If the weather is good for the event (which it normally is) the riding should be excellent as long as you are shown the trail system by a local or someone who knows the trail system.

If you go out by yourself and are good at GPS tracking you could also have a great time. Following a map here does not work, and you will be totally upset you spent your hard earned wages on coming here.

The scenery is always excellent.

TD

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    the riding should be excellent as long as you are shown the trail system by a local or someone who knows the trail system.

Following a map here does not work, and you will be totally upset you spent your hard earned wages on coming here.

TD

I've been to Sedona three times for a total of about 12 or 13 days now, twice with a buddy and once with the wife for a week. We bought a Cosmic Rays map at the Bike and Bean. The CR's map is ok, it shows the trails but does not list skill levels of the trails...(hint...hint... for anyone who wants to make a user friendly map and make a few bucks) and is a bit vague.

We found that a map combined with some friendly suggestions from the Bike and Bean staff we have had wonderful riding experiences. We did everythng from the Bell Rock, Templeton, Hangover, Damned if I know, bunch of stuff around submarine rock..many mikes of stuff over on the North side of town...it was great. We found plenty of "social" trail by just exploring.

Heck, part of the fun of riding is finding a new trail(s) by accident when you're out exploring.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Here is a website promoting the event. Accommodations page included.
    http://web.mac.com/stonecropaz
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    While everything I have seen on Sedona looks awesome, I have a hard time justifying 9.5 hours in my car when it only takes me 4 to get to Moab. Considering I have still not ridden everything in Moab, Fruita, Price, or St. George I will stay closer to home until I am absolutely sick of riding in Utah. Have a good festival, I am sure a ton of Cali's and Ariz's and even a few Utards will show up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski
    While everything I have seen on Sedona looks awesome, I have a hard time justifying 9.5 hours in my car when it only takes me 4 to get to Moab. Considering I have still not ridden everything in Moab, Fruita, Price, or St. George I will stay closer to home until I am absolutely sick of riding in Utah. Have a good festival, I am sure a ton of Cali's and Ariz's and even a few Utards will show up.
    It's worth the drive. I live 8 hours from Sedona and 6 hours from Moab and have been to Sedona three times since I last went to Moab.

Moab is awesome and I definitely need to get back there (hopefully end of April), but don't count out Sedona just because it's a bit longer drive especially if you can add Flagstaff or Prescott in the mix as well.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    It's worth the drive. I live 8 hours from Sedona and 6 hours from Moab and have been to Sedona three times since I last went to Moab.

Moab is awesome and I definitely need to get back there (hopefully end of April), but don't count out Sedona just because it's a bit longer drive especially if you can add Flagstaff or Prescott in the mix as well.
    KRob:

Thanks for the plug. I also love Moab, but since I live in Sedona I am promoting our Fat Tire Festival. I know we have great riding and over the last couple of years there has been some new rides that many seem to enjoy. Certainly the weather should be warmer.

TD

banned
    Chalkpaw
    mtbr member

Things are coming along nicely for the festival. I am hopeful that Oak Creek Brewery will come up with a special Single Track Ale for the weekend. The Verde Valley Cyclists Coalition is the group putting on the event. For those flying in from cold far away places, be sure to check the accommodations page. You can do this without renting a car! http://web.mac.com/stonecropaz/Site/Welcome.html

banned
    In the spirit of the New Fat Tire Festival this coming Easter Weekend the Sedona locals have gone out and scouted a new loop that we think will give advanced riders a good cross section of the Sedona trail system. Check out this link and see if ths loop fits the type of user experience you are looking for.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1044970

There is a partial video at the bottom of the ride description.

TD

Members who have read this thread: 0