SE Utah - What's out there?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SE Utah - What's out there?

I'm planning a late April/Early may trip to your fair state and plan on hitting the southwest corner and then making my way east back home to Colorado... which won't be easy because all the major arteries head north to Hanksville before you can head south/southeast again toward the Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec area, Fry Canyon, Blanding, etc.

There's gotta be some epic rides out there in the great blue yonder. Anyone have any suggestions? Google isn't helping much.

mtbr member
    Nothing?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Check out Utahmountainbiking.com. They have trails listed by region. There may be more double track/ATV trails than rideable singletrack but there are tons of dirt roads in the area.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You can try calling a bike shop in the area. There is an Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane, right by Gosseberry Mesa.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Go fast, Take Chances
    You can try calling a bike shop in the area. There is an Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane, right by Gosseberry Mesa.
    Hurricane is usually considered to be SW Utah, unless you are from St George or Ivins.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Umm. You seem to be overlooking the obvious SE Utah destination.........

MOAB!!!

Just sayin'.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Reviving this thread...

I'm talking east of Gooseberry and south of Moab. That leaves thousands of square miles of... what?

Team Fearless Descender
    What's out there?

Thousands and thousands of SqMi of AMAZING scenery and photographic opportunities, but... As far as riding other than epic dirt roads, I don't think there is a huge amount, but there is / what comes to mind:

Red Canyon area (Thunder Mtn, etc.) just west of Bryce Cyn and just east of Panguitch. Very fun stuff.
    Also Brian Head in the same area. This is of course more SW UT.

I believe there is some riding just north of Torrey, UT. Oh, and some fun stuff that I've ridden in the past near Fish Lake, NW of Loa, UT. But again, a little out of the scope of your question.

I know you can do some epic / long stuff in Canyonlands, but riding is restricted to roads, no trails.

I've only driven through (photographing) in the very SE corner, Mexican Hat, etc., so I can not say for sure. Again, the scenery is off the chart, but is seems most riding would be dirt road / fire road stuff.

I will add, all of Hwy 12 and 24 is gooooood stuff, scenic wise. The Escalante area and Caineville (Factory Butte) area come to mind.

I know I'm not a lot of help with actual riding destinations, but as far as a place just to see, its hard to beat any of southern Utah.

Oh, and I second Utahmountainbiking.com
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

I'd rather be biking...
    After visiting western spirits website for a little bit and doing some research you can go to the free topo software at:

http://gos2.geodata.gov/wps/portal/g...lVRS82X0xfSVI!

Click on usgs maps and zoom in till you hit the Abajos mountains where you can find a lot of the trails marked out there. With the info that Western spirit marks on the website you can look at the maps and see what loops and trails they are doing.

Seems like there maybe a Gem out there that I may need to visit sometime soon. There sure isn't much info out on the web about it though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    After visiting western spirits website for a little bit.......you can find a lot of the trails marked out.....there seems like there maybe a Gem out there that I may need to visit sometime soon. There sure isn't much info out on the web about it though.
    Hmmm, I'm intrigued. Does anybody have any more info on this trail system in the Abajo Mtns? It seems like that would be a great option for a few rides next time I'm in Moab.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Never ridden the Abajos, but i camped up there once and saw some perfect looking singeltrack. A year or so later some dude told me there was some surprisingly good riding up there. If you want to head east out of Bluff for an hour or so there is some great desert riding near cortez...PM me if interested.

Members who have read this thread: 0