mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Salt Lake May 20- hook me up

Looking to have some fun before a work thing on Monday. Iíd like to get a good demo bike and an idea of where to ride from someone who knows. Long drives are fine with me. Happy to return the favor if youíre ever up by me. Thanks in advance. You people rule!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    There are a bunch of threads about this, but if you just have one day, and you're here in May:
    -BST and variants can easily entertain you for a day, and there's no need to drive. Access by bike from downtown in ~15 minutes. I'd ride up north to Bountiful (great trail) and then hit the the little loops there, then ride back and traverse City Creek to either Bobsled or Dry Creek. Keep going south and do the loop around Red Butte (ledgy fun) and then return to your hotel. Probably a 4-5 hour ride for most folks.
    -Corner Canyon will require a 30 minute drive, but is super fun flowy XC.
    -Round Valley (PC) and Flying Dog (*should* be dry by then) are your best early season bets in Park City. Flowy singletrack. Easy to ride both in a day (a long day, though). 30 minute drive from downtown.

There are of course other options but all of those are super fun and will be dried out.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    All good suggestions from Walt. Of those, I would put Corner Canyon and Flying Dog at the top if you have a vehicle to get around. If not, you can easily pedal up to the BST-Bobsled from all points downtown, but the other two rides are much higher quality. Try Go Ride for demos in SLC or Draper (close to Corner Canyon). Jans and Colesport have plenty of rental bikes if you're in Park City.

For Flying Dog I recommend counter clockwise for optimal fun. The shortest version is about 13mi, the longest about 20mi. I'd be happy to give more specifics on different routes, just give a shout on how long of a ride you want. For Corner Canyon, it's worth trying to work in some of the following DH specific trails (in order of difficulty from easiest): Vertigo, Rush, Levitate, Maple Hollow DH. You'll have to connect these with up routes so have a look at a map. The trailforks app is the best out there for Utah trails. Hard to get too lost if you have it with you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Salt Lake May 20- hook me up

Thanks guys! My meeting is in Sandy so, the Corner Canyon option seems pretty convenient looks like a riot. Any thoughts on Park City area being rideable? I get that itís weather dependent but, whatís it usually like mid May? Also interested in shuttle runs as my buddy and I are both coming from sea level.

Again, you people rule! Love the MTB community!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gruno View Post
    Thanks guys! My meeting is in Sandy so, the Corner Canyon option seems pretty convenient looks like a riot. Any thoughts on Park City area being rideable? I get that itís weather dependent but, whatís it usually like mid May? Also interested in shuttle runs as my buddy and I are both coming from sea level.

Again, you people rule! Love the MTB community!

Park City trails I mentioned before (RV, Flying Dog) will be open. Most of the more well known stuff (Midmountain, Crest, etc - everything at the actual resorts) will still be mud/snow.

There is not much for shuttling that will be available by then in PC (not a big shuttle town in general). There might be some complex way to shuttle Corner Canyon (I think people do it?) but I don't know anything about the logistics or whether it's worth the effort.

I'd just ride up and earn your turns.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Eagle Mountain may be a good option if the elevation becomes an issue. Close enough to Sandy and there isn't much climbing.