Salt Lake in December?- Mtbr.com
    Fartographer

Salt Lake in December?

I've been looking for trails but so far I haven't found anything. Where are you guys riding?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Riding is a challenge with the conditions like they are. I have read that several trials at Lambert Park are being ridden. Stansberry Islandís trail is rocky enough to stand up to bike traffic most of the winter. Then, most any other trail that receives a lot of foot traffic, ie City Creek, Mill Creek, and BST, are good once there is a good base of packed snow or ice on the trail. These trails stay accessible to bikes as long as you ride before the day time temperatures peak and start to soften the surface. If you ride after it warms up for the day the trail becomes really slick, you leave ruts in the snow and ice making it difficult to navigate both for other bikes and the hikers/joggers that conditioned the trail to start with, and you run the risk of ice build up on your derailleurs and brakes. These challenges are why so many retreat to the comforts of the indoor trainer, gym, and running during the winter months.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I don't know about everyone else, but I am riding my skis.

We are planning once-a-month trips to the desert, though. Will email you after Xmas.

JMH

mtbr member
    PeeSeeEmmArr

need moar snoe!
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Fartographer

Thanks

Thanks, gnslr. But I was sorta joking

When I moved here I wondered how I'd handle the winter. And I was worried about it right up until I put down my cash for an Alta pass. Then, miraculously, my attitude about snow suddenly changed! I don't think I'm worried about riding at all, now. I do need to set up the trainer so I can keep some level of cardio going. But I am all about the skis. So far it's cost me $220 per day to ski this season. I need to get that number wayyyyy down

I have to go to Vegas for a camera tradeshow at the end of January. So there will be some riding down in St George, then. I'll keep you guys posted in case anyone wants to join me.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thought you may have been, quite honestly I do not know many others that consistently ride this time of year, although there are some masochists out there besides myself. As for skiing…knock yourself out…I’ll ride. Have a great holiday.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Right there with ya PhotoJohn. I've had 8 days on my board this year already, gotta make that Brighton pass worth it... Only 5 at Brighton so far, $170/day and falling. My goal is to get it under $30/day.

Bikes are collecting cobwebs at the moment, but looking forward to a few desert rides this winter.

mtbr member
    J, you're totally barred from riding anything downhill, right? Sucks

Definitely looking forward to the storm Thursday...my new board gets here Wednesday. STOKED!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Not exactly barred, I just don't enjoy knee surgeries as much as I used to. I decided 3 is the magic number.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Damn knee surgeries spoiling all of our fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bad knees? JMH, I didn't know that. Well there's only one fix. . . You need a really big squishy DH bike to protect those things!

I actually thought of you guys just yesterday as I got to use a few new terms I have recently learned to describe, for instance, the large group of roadies out for a group ride.

I pedaled my HT yesterday before work and it made some creaky sounds. . . I think it's the cobwebs in the drivetrain! Well, holler if the streets are dry enough to screw around in town!

-D

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    How about a quarterpipe garage session? Contest for best slam and best trick. Winner receives an FSA clipboard!

Bleu, you can guest-ride the Ducat.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I have no assembled bike at the moment otherwise that sounds like good fun.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I thought you had like three DJ bikes on the way!

We can all trade bikes and spread the carnage around. I mean, you have seen the garage, it's not like two people can even ride at the same time!

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    How about a quarterpipe garage session? Contest for best slam and best trick. Winner receives an FSA clipboard!

Bleu, you can guest-ride the Ducat.

Don't you mean ghost-ride? I haven't ridden gnar-gnar style since the demise of the smellsworth...but I'm down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wednesday afternoon garage throwdown!! (after everybody gets back from skiing the fresh snow)

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I thought you had like three DJ bikes on the way!

We can all trade bikes and spread the carnage around. I mean, you have seen the garage, it's not like two people can even ride at the same time!

JMH
    Yup, and none of them are together. Black Market Mob just arrived, Superco Satellite on order, and Chromag Monk on order. I'm about to have too many bikes

Homer's problem child
    Plenty of riding out there right now, and it's about to get better.

Splitboard = winter equivalent of mtb. Good for bad knees too.

B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

biking is fun
    when is the garage session? wed? let me know and ill be in. i don't get home from work til 615 but i could come right after.

Ptown- i have been riding around the neighbor hood lately maybe we can hook up and learn some new stuff at the elementary school or the U

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ther's ridin in them thar sin sity hills as well p-john.
    Brokin knees; check!
    ridin asphalt; check!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Right there with ya PhotoJohn. I've had 8 days on my board this year already, gotta make that Brighton pass worth it... Only 5 at Brighton so far, $170/day and falling. My goal is to get it under $30/day.

Bikes are collecting cobwebs at the moment, but looking forward to a few desert rides this winter.
    So, a Brighton pass is $850-ish? That's not too bad, a season pass to Mammoth is $1450 and it 350 miles away. Isn't there something like an all-mountain pass where you can ride Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton? If you had to have one pass which has the best terrain?

You guys need to start a Ray's Indoor Mtb park!
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    So, a Brighton pass is $850-ish? That's not too bad, a season pass to Mammoth is $1450 and it 350 miles away. Isn't there something like an all-mountain pass where you can ride Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton? If you had to have one pass which has the best terrain?

No, nothing like the CO resorts have going on...that would be SICK! It would give me motivation to sell something important and get it.

But um...pass to Snowbird=win.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s

I had that same idea about two or three years ago. I gathered as much info as I could, Including leasing an empty supermarket a stones throw away from an REI, which is two stones throw away from Millcreek canyon, a way too popular trail access.
    But a near heart-attack when I got a quote on liability insurance brought that pipedream to an abrupt end.

mtbr member

I'm still ride'n!

Not on trails. Near my house, the trails all froze up and got snowed over. So I just mountain bike up the canyon on the canyon road! It's pretty dry from all the car traffic that goes up the canyon during the day-time, so it's relatively safe.

I start the climb up Hobble Creek Canyon at 6:00 p.m. (yeah, it's dark as Batman's cape, and no moon light to go by, but I go anyway). I use a NiteRider Classic Plus 12 Watt Spot, and a 20 Watt Flood beam. 32 Watts of illumination lasts about 1 hour 20 min before going out.

After 7.5 miles of climbing the temperature is 21 degrees F (have seen it as low as 2 degrees F.). Put the balaclava on for the 30 mph ride back home (all downhill ). Power-Aid in the bottle is turning to slush at this point.

Yes, there's black ice. I fell on some last week as I left the safety of the canyon road and attempted to ride up to the trail above. Seemed like I was in a slow motion video. Rode the bike all the way to the ground. Crank Bro. candy SL's let go at the last second and I landed in a soft patch of snow.

A few nights ago, a big animal popped out of the bushes to my right as I was do'n the climb. It was a big deer! I started chasing the deer to see if I could draft off of it I did! It was awesome, but I was running out of steam trying to keep up the pace Fortunately for me, the deer made a sharp left up the mountain side, and I backed off the pace and cruised into the turn-around point. Put on the balaclava, and went home.

Riding in the winter can be scary, but a lot of fun too!

I say, keep ride'n!!!
    "It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary (Summits Mt. Everest, 29,035 feet - May 29, 1953)

Members who have read this thread: 0