Salt Lake City Park ride help- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    138

    Salt Lake City Park ride help

    I was hoping to get some advice to help me choose what to ride while I stay in Sandy UT. I have had some help already for bike hire in another post and was also put onto some trails.

    I have a 3-4 days of riding planned in the area and was wondering what would be best for some xc and all mountain rides.

    I want to do the Wasatch Crest trail one day and hopefully some lift assisted riding another, but I am not sure which of the 3 parks is better?

    Also if I am doing the Wasatch Crest trail is it worth doing the Mid Mountain trail? Do they share some trails or can you combine parts of them?

    cheers

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,982
    You could go up Colin's - Rob's - Ambush - mid mountain - Ridge Connector to the Crest, across to go down Puke Hill to the mid-mountain and back on that to go back down Rob's/Colin's. I think that would be around 20-25 miles with about 4000' of climbing. For aggressive Park riding that is lift served, The Canyons may be your best bet.

  3. #3
    Frame Building Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,489
    Skip the lift. It's not worth the time/money unless the Canyons is opening some new stuff I don't know about.

    Wasatch Crest and MM run parallel to each other at different elevations so you could easily make yourself a loop and do both.

    -Walt

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Skip the lift. It's not worth the time/money unless the Canyons is opening some new stuff I don't know about.

    Wasatch Crest and MM run parallel to each other at different elevations so you could easily make yourself a loop and do both.

    -Walt
    What about the other Deer Valley or Park City? Is it because the downhill runs are short?

    Thanks for clarifying my question about MM and Wasatch. I think I might do Wasatch one day and MM another or something else in the area.
    Also if I do Wasatch for example is it worth doing MM or vice versa?
    The tallest hill around where I ride (Perth, Australia) is around 400 meters so I am not sure what to expect with the altitude.


    Thanks

    Paddy

  5. #5
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy73 View Post
    What about the other Deer Valley or Park City? Is it because the downhill runs are short?

    Thanks for clarifying my question about MM and Wasatch. I think I might do Wasatch one day and MM another or something else in the area.
    Also if I do Wasatch for example is it worth doing MM or vice versa?
    The tallest hill around where I ride (Perth, Australia) is around 400 meters so I am not sure what to expect with the altitude.


    Thanks

    Paddy
    The elevation difference between Park City proper and the Wasatch Crest is about 850 meters. The Wasatch Crest is close to 3000 meters in elevation.

    You're definitely gonna feel it.

    https://www.strava.com/segments/7569485
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,982
    What exactly are you looking for in "lift assisted"? Do you just want to ride downhill? Park City lifts provide that and not much more. If you want to get more armored up, Deer Valley has more extensive downhill riding with some features. The Canyons is a step up from that and the Trailside Park has good features, but you provide the climbing. It sounds like a shuttled ride on the Crest might be a good place to start if you're not used to altitude.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    What exactly are you looking for in "lift assisted"? Do you just want to ride downhill? Park City lifts provide that and not much more. If you want to get more armored up, Deer Valley has more extensive downhill riding with some features. The Canyons is a step up from that and the Trailside Park has good features, but you provide the climbing. It sounds like a shuttled ride on the Crest might be a good place to start if you're not used to altitude.
    I was hoping to get some nice runs down the mountain on some trails with a few jumps, kickers and drops. Nothing too big. I have seen some vids about canyons with big wooden structure which are beyond my skill level, I am not sure what else they have. I guess I am after some more intermediate tech features and flow trails. A lot of the vids out there tend to show the bigger featured trails.

    The shuttle ride to Wasatch is definitely on the cards.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    242
    Deer Valley is good for more natural type trails, ranging from adv beginner to expert with plenty of intermediate in between. Canyons is more the man made features bike park style. As for worth the price of admission? Eh, I like them, but if I only had 3-4 days here, not so sure I would bother.
    I guess you could do it on an off day, to rest your legs. But downhilling at DV or Canyons is not without its physical challenges, you likely will get tired, just in a different way from XC/trail riding.

    I'd do Flying Dog counter clock wise. Nice solid 16 mile ride, 2000 feet of climbing overall.

    Good resource for trails: Park City Area Bike Trails

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    138
    Flying Dog trail look great thanks.
    At this stage I think I will do the Wasatch Crest, the Flying Dog trail maybe the Mid Mountain depending on my body.
    The other two days I might just see what I can fit in. Maybe a lift day or one of the other trails.

    Cheers.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,883
    If you haven't tried lift-served riding and want to try some trails with some features, might as well give The Canyons a shot IMO. The Canyons isn't great compared to other resorts in other states, but it is fun enough and something different to try.

    I enjoy going up there a couple times a year for a change of pace.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GorillaTactics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy73 View Post
    I was hoping to get some nice runs down the mountain on some trails with a few jumps, kickers and drops. Nothing too big. I have seen some vids about canyons with big wooden structure which are beyond my skill level, I am not sure what else they have. I guess I am after some more intermediate tech features and flow trails. A lot of the vids out there tend to show the bigger featured trails.

    The shuttle ride to Wasatch is definitely on the cards.

    Thanks
    There's definitely some more intermediate-level stuff at Canyons as well, they just tend to feature the bigger scarier stuff in a lot of videos. See if you can find Youtube vids for Wild Mouse and Flying Salmon which are two of their mellower bike park runs. I'd say it's definitely worth doing a day there, some of the locals around here complain that they don't have as much variety as a place like Whistler, but the bike park at Canyons has only been open for a few years and it's getting better every season.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    138
    Thanks for all the help.
    I have one more question. how busy are the weekends on Wasatch Crest trail, Flying Dog and the Parks etc...?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    242
    All can be fairly busy on a Saturday. Sunday a fair bit less so, especially in the morning while church is in session.

  14. #14
    formerly shabadu
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    961
    You could have a blast riding the lifts at all three resorts on a trail bike and explore a huge number of trails without shattering yourself trying to climb up all your vert. There is still plenty of pedaling to be done, even with the lift riding. Something to consider if you just want to maximize your fun.
    Avoid MM on Saturdays as much as you can.
    Those trails mentioned at the Canyons are fun to spin a few laps on and get the tables dialed in, but you can also lap the Gondola with some pedaling and get some really fun laps on Holly's, Insurgent, Ambush, etc. Big vert descents compared to what you ride at home, fun trails, you'll have a blast.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    138
    Thanks again guys for the great tips.

  16. #16
    Frame Building Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,489
    Canyons has (supposedly) a new DH trail that drops all the way from MM to the base area. I'm excited to give that a whirl, but they aren't open for bikes on the gondola until the 26th I think.

    Hopefully this one will be closed to hiking, unlike Hollys... aka the trail of terror.

    -Walt

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    138
    Sounds promising!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 08:56 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2014, 10:18 PM
  3. Salt Lake - Park City area
    By qdawgg in forum Utah
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
  4. Santa Cruz demo-ing in Salt Lake and Park City
    By santacruzdemocrew in forum Utah
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 05:24 PM
  5. Santa Cruz demo-ing in Salt Lake and Park City
    By santacruzdemocrew in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.