mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Salt Lake City - Park City half day ride optons

Hi there,

Planning a 4 day trip to SLC during memorial day weekend. This is with the wife and she does not ride any but flat gravel. So I can only get away with half day (up to 4 hrs saddle time 20-25miles) of riding.

NEVER been to Utah. I'm not interested in lift access - I don't really do DH - I lived 7 years in Vancouver and only did Whistler bike park once.

We haven't booked our hotel yet - so location is flexible - somewhere within 1hr of SLC. Ideally I want to get a guided tour of some awesome trails Blue/Black diamond, while my wife can spend half the day doing yoga and hitting the Spa nearby.

I won't be bringing my bike, so somewhere that I can rent a good trail bike and provide a guide would be great and within 1hr drive of SLC?

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you are looking for guided tour, Id give Jans a call. They will probably be able to tailor a ride that meets your needs and rent you a bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    There are a ton of options for you. Flying Dog in Park City sounds like it would be your jam. Shortest version of Flying Dog is about 13mi, longest is about 20mi. Fun XC loop with a great descent (be sure to ride it counterclock). You wouldn't need a guide for this one, pretty straightforward using the Trailforks app as back up insurance. If you want to ride Park City proper and get some true alpine riding, there will be a good variety of trails open, just not the highest elevation stuff at that time. You can explore on your own, or get a guide to show you around. The PC trail network is extensive enough that it does get a bit confusing, but at the same time, there's not much potential to really get lost because if you point it downhill you'll eventually end up on a paved road that will take you back to town. The main benefit of a guide is that they could show you some of the choicer trails (based on your tastes). If you choose to go that route, you could give Josh Reinhardt at All Seasons Adventures a holler. He is a great rider and knows the trail system really well so could put together a tailored route for your tastes. I have no idea how much guide services are...

If you're staying in the SL Valley, I would still recommend Flying Dog for one day, and then Corner Canyon for the other. CC is a great network with a bit of everything for everyone. Gets busy on weekends since it's so accessible so if you can ride it on a weekday, that's better.

If you're riding on your own, be sure to download the Trailsforks app and install the Utah maps.