Salt Lake City mountain bike hire help please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Salt Lake City mountain bike hire help please.

I am heading over to Sandy in Utah from Australia later this year and wanted to hire a bike for when I am staying there.
    I have had a search online and I have not had any real luck finding decent mountain bike hire. I understand that I would have to head into Salt Lake City to hire it.
    Does anyone have any recommendations or know of any bike shops that will hire out a bike?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not sure your budget, but here is one of the shops I prefer in the valley:

Demo/Rental Bikes - Go-Ride.com Bicycle Shop, Salt Lake City, Utah.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy73 View Post
    I understand that I would have to head into Salt Lake City to hire it.
    Going from Sandy into the "big city" is probably something you're going to do anyways...

Most any shop in the Salt Lake valley isn't going to be terribly far out of your way, unless you're just riding Corner Canyon.

Lots of shops in the valley don't seem to 'rent' bikes, but quite a few do demo programs which sure look and feel like a rental.

Revolution is in Sandy proper (or is it in Draper? I can't tell), and they have demos of Giants - Revolution Bicycles - Revolution Bicycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    I'm not sure your budget, but here is one of the shops I prefer in the valley:

Demo/Rental Bikes - Go-Ride.com Bicycle Shop, Salt Lake City, Utah.
    I also recommend Go Ride. Reasonable prices for good quality bikes (especially compared to Park City where it can be over $100 a day) and they'll actually take the time to do stuff like set up your suspension properly for your weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the links. I tried Go ride from here before and the page would not load. The link you posted worked fine and has got me into the page.
    I hope to do some riding around Sandy and Draper before heading off to Moab.
    Do you guys have any recommendations for local trails or should I just head to Corner Canyon as it looks easy to find?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links. I tried Go ride from here before and the page would not load. The link you posted worked fine and has got me into the page.
    I hope to do some riding around Sandy and Draper before heading off to Moab.
    Do you guys have any recommendations for local trails or should I just head to Corner Canyon as it looks easy to find?

Thanks,

Corner Canyon is great, awesome option for quick after work rides. You'll also definitely want to ride the higher alpine trails in Park City, it's only 30 mins drive from Sandy and the trails are awesome. Cooler in the heat of summer than Corner Canyon as well.

The Wasatch Crest Trail is a must-ride but try to hit it on a weekday, it gets crazy busy on weekends during peak riding season.

The Canyons and Deer Valley (ski resorts) both have lift serviced biking with some pretty gnarly stuff if you're into that type of riding. The Canyons has more in the way of bike park features than DV.

Two of my favorite areas that are fun (and free) are Trailside Bike Park and the Bob's Basin freeride trails right near Park City. Reasonable pedal up and fun berms and jumps on the way down, super easy to do a bunch of laps. Both very rideable on a trail bike, no DH rig required.

Some helpful links: Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs
    Trailforks.com | Mountain Biking Trail Database
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for recommendations. I had planned on riding the Wasatch Crest trail while over there.

What kind of bike would you recommend for it? I ride a Mach 5.7 and was thinking something similar to that or even with shorter travel?

Hopefully I can get a shuttle in as I think the altitude will kill me.
    I don't have a ton of time so its going to be tough choice as to what to ride with all the options.

mtbr member
    5" trail bike will handle 99% of everything around here unless you go specifically looking for super-gnar. Unless they've changed since last summer, Go-Ride's main rental bike is a Giant Trance that should fit the bill nicely.

Wasatch Crest Shuttle and Big Rack Shuttle are two local companies that will get you up to the Crest for a few bucks.

When and for how long are you going to be here?

mtbr member
    Most of our rental bikes are at our Draper store. We have Santa Cruz, Pivot, and Giant as rentals. They go out often so call in advance to reserve the bike you want. Go-Ride Bike Shop, Salt Lake, Utah. Mountain Bicycles Giant Pivot Intense Norco Devinci Yeti Turner
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics View Post
    5" trail bike will handle 99% of everything around here unless you go specifically looking for super-gnar. Unless they've changed since last summer, Go-Ride's main rental bike is a Giant Trance that should fit the bill nicely.

Wasatch Crest Shuttle and Big Rack Shuttle are two local companies that will get you up to the Crest for a few bucks.

When and for how long are you going to be here?
    I'll be in Sandy from the 1st to the 3rd and from 11th to the 15th of September. As I get closer to the time I'll have to figure what days I will be riding and where.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Most of our rental bikes are at our Draper store. We have Santa Cruz, Pivot, and Giant as rentals. They go out often so call in advance to reserve the bike you want. Go-Ride Bike Shop, Salt Lake, Utah. Mountain Bicycles Giant Pivot Intense Norco Devinci Yeti Turner
    When the time get closer I'll definitely give you guys a call! You guys have a good range of bikes that I would like to ride while I am over there.

Thanks,

Paddy

mtbr member
    You might very well want something a bit more burly when you're in Moab, but not a DH bike. A Mach 6 has "Moab" written all over it ... as do many other bikes. Hope you're planning on The Whole Enchilada. 28 miles of Moab's finest brutality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Definitely a bigger bike is on the cards for Moab and TWE. Hopefully a Mach 6 or HD3

mtbr member
    Definitely a bigger bike is on the cards for Moab and TWE. Hopefully a Mach 6 or HD3
    I'll just say this: do not underestimate TWE. It's brutal, and it's remote. If you go solo, make some friends on the shuttle ride. 4-5 liters of water, two tubes, quick-link, DR hanger, etc. You'll need at least two of the following three: advanced fitness, advanced skills, and/or advanced fortitude. That said, you'll pass through five freaking eco-systems in your 7,000' descent. Indescribable, unforgiving, beauty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah it looks a bit tricky with the high altitude. I think I will be ok though I am getting some big rides in leading up to it. I might do it on a Sunday with a shuttle to burro pass so there should be more people out there in case something bad happens.
    I definitely take the required gear though trying to carry 5 litres of water sounds hard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi Scott, filled in an enquiry a few days back about bike hire. Not sure if you guys got it or if I should try again?
    Thanks