Salt Lake City- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salt Lake City

Mountain Bike Arkansas

Salt Lake City

We are planning a to Salt Lake City sometime late September and early October. We are looking at maybe ridding the Mid Mountain Trail. Anyone have any information on this trail, the weather for that time of the year, and some lodging suggestions.

Thanks
    Never Give Up

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Big ?

1. Trail Info.

Check www.utahmountainbiking.com. The MMT is located in Park city so you will find it in the PC section of that site.

2. Weather. Late Sep Early Oct is a great time of year for SLC. Low's in the 40's highs in the 70's. Ir can snow in the high elevations in Sep

3. Lodging. Check Craigslist and vacation by owner .com. Lots of Ski condos can be had in both slc and PC. Your Cheapest option would probably be Motels on north temple and near the airport. 40 a night or so. Probably at least double that in PC.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    When you're in town head to a shop in Park City and they'll be able to provide plenty of detailed info for Mid Mountain.

Luddite technophile
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBARK
    We are planning a to Salt Lake City sometime late September and early October. We are looking at maybe ridding the Mid Mountain Trail. Anyone have any information on this trail, the weather for that time of the year, and some lodging suggestions.

Thanks
    I'd advise late September - early October could be dicey for weather (but could also be beautiful).

Mountain Bike Arkansas
    Thanks for the great information. The way it stands right now looks like we might hit Park City about Sep. 22. What is a good route for Mid Mountain I have been looking over maps on the net and digging up information and from what I can tell the best route is to go up Spirro and hit the Mid Mountain. Which way would be best to go for making a loop out of it?
    Never Give Up

Fartographer
    What is a good route for Mid Mountain I have been looking over maps on the net and digging up information and from what I can tell the best route is to go up Spirro and hit the Mid Mountain. Which way would be best to go for making a loop out of it?
    My favorite loop is up Spiro to Mid Mountain then east to the Town Loop, John's and Sweeney's. That's a regular summer, after work ride for me. We are blessed here in the Promised Land.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have always rode midmountain as a shuttle starting at silverlake / DeerValley. If you ride up Spiro there is a paved bike trail from the canyons that you can connect back to main St. Parkcity.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    My favorite loop is up Spiro to Mid Mountain then east to the Town Loop, John's and Sweeney's. That's a regular summer, after work ride for me. We are blessed here in the Promised Land.
    +1, that's a good way to do it.

All the shops in the area have trail maps (unless they're "sold" out) and will be able to tell you some more information about anything. I recommend White Pine Touring, but I'm pretty biased.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Mountain Bike Arkansas
    Thanks for the information guys it has really been helpful.
    Never Give Up

Fartographer

Arkansas

Thanks for the information guys it has really been helpful.
    No problem. Maybe you can return the favor some day. I have heard lots of good things about mountain biking in Arkansas
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Mountain Bike Arkansas
    I would be happy to return the favor. We don't have the extreme mountains like you guys do but we do have mountains none the less. Just give me a shout or check out my website www.mtbark.com. Again thanks alot for the information it has been very informative.
    Never Give Up

Chumley for prez!
    If you want a slightly longer variation, the loop I like is you can take spiro, to mid-mountain, to empire link, lower TDS, Ontario bypass, then mid mountain, over to silverlake at deer valley, next hit 4 point to deer crest, to the bottom of DV (snow park lodge). then take the road back to the PC parking lot. About 15 miles, lots of fast flowy downhill (empire link, 4point, deer crest).

If you're feeling up to it, sometimes from mid mountain at DV I head up team big bear to Flagstaff loop etc (this is a pretty long climb, particularly after already climbing spiro). Benefit being you get a long downhill down to silverlake (naildriver to lower fireswamp is a fun option). This DH is better on a trail bike than a xc bike or 29er hardtail, although maybe I am just a weenie.

September should be really nice weather!

oh yeah, here's a map for DV, from park city, you would enter from empire link (IMHO more fun than that section of midmountain).
    http://www.utah.com/ski/summer/deer-valley-bike-map.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Skip the mid-mountain loops, do the whole enchilada

If you're not adverse to a bus ride, you can do mid-mountain end to end without dealing with a shuttle. The busses in PC are free and you can load your bikes on the front. (Maps and Schedules available at: http://www.parkcity.org/index.aspx?page=422) So, take a bus up to Silver Lake Lodge at Deer Valley, ride all of Mid-Mountain all the way down to the Canyons, drop down Robs/Collins, then hop a bus back into PC and your car. No muss, no fuss and a brilliant ride with a major elevation loss - all for free.

As a bonus, you get to avoid the hikers, unleashed dogs and maniac downhill riders while trying to climb Spiro. That's always a bonus in my book!

Members who have read this thread: 0