Salt lake area trails- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A.P.B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    347

    Salt lake area trails

    Going to be in the salt lake city area for a week or so .Looking for some trails to ride . Looking for all mountain trails. Well be bringing Dh and 6 inch travel bikes. Shuttling wont be and issue. Any suggestions well be great thanks: thumbsup:

    Andy
    JRA

  2. #2
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    We might want to start a sticky titled:
    "What makes you think that SLC has a bunch of great big bike/DH trails?"

    It could go right under the "What tires for Moab" sticky.

    There are good trails out there, but they are either trails we don't discuss online or they are hiking trails that really aren't ok to shuttle except late in the day, or they are super complicated link-ups of a bunch of trails to make something worth the drive.

    DV has lift served options. A quick search will give you a sense of local regard for their system. Draper has a nice little DH specific system. Bob's Basin is good for a few pedal laps, but is best in the early morning.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  3. #3
    DOH!
    Reputation: SprungShoulders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    We might want to start a sticky titled:
    "What makes you think that SLC has a bunch of great big bike/DH trails?"

    It could go right under the "What tires for Moab" sticky.
    I second the motion.

    ...I'm not exactly sure how the pervasive rumor that the SLC area is some kind of riding mecca got started. I was just in the Yukon, where there are better trails within any given five square kilometer area than there are in the entire SLC valley (and most of PC), and I fielded at least three inquiries along the lines of, "...oh, you guys have a bunch of gnarly cool trails down there, eh?". My standard reply was, "Please specify which alternate universe you're hearing that from. I'll visit it, and let you know."

    I call it the "Moab Effect", i.e. the mystique surrounding Moab rubbing off on the rest of the state.

    So, to all those wondering about SLC, bring your fully rigid 29'er and you'll be golden on at least 90%+ of the trails around here. A six inch AM bike is plenty for 99%+ of the remaining (legal) stuff. Want a "real" bike park to play in? Look elsewhere

    All the potential is here, it's just not realized.

  4. #4
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    If you're really nice you could try and get someone to show you Bobsled behind the University, but even that is a bit of a kill joy on a DH bike or even a 6" bike as it's as smooth as my taint after a painful visit to Neko's salon. There's a nice shot of Scott Markowitz (spelling?) riding the bit of single track near the entrance to BS in the new issue of BIKE magazine. That photo pretty much tells the tale of our humble state.

    Last week I noticed a pile of DH bikes at the bottom of Mill D post ride. I'm guessing that group pushed those things for a couple of hours along the Crest to get a ripping 7 minute descent out that trail. Excuse me, probably a 20 minute descent with all the foot traffic (assuming any yielding took place).

  5. #5
    MTBR member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    798
    We might want to start a sticky titled:
    "What makes you think that SLC has a bunch of great big bike/DH trails?"

    It could go right under the "What tires for Moab" sticky.


    Or, you could just ignore the redundant threads that seem to annoy you? You are not obligated or required to read and respond to every single post. Geez, lighten up on the guy.

  6. #6
    Homer's problem child
    Reputation: Bortis Yelltzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie
    Or, you could just ignore the redundant threads that seem to annoy you? You are not obligated or required to read and respond to every single post. Geez, lighten up on the guy.
    That response is not very "Rick James" of you...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

  7. #7
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    If one were so inclined (and lazy) they could ride the gondola at the Canyons and descend Holly's on their 6" travel All-Mountain shredder. Or you could pedal to the top and get your Sweatin' To The Oldies on before descending through all the moon dust.
    I saw a hottie on a new Rocky Mountain Slayer awaiting such a ride a couple weekends ago after chasing some single speeders along the Trail Formerly Known As The Mid-Mountain. Maybe if you're fast you could catch her. Obviously I wasn't fast enough...

  8. #8
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: Idiot Boy 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    186

    Come on...

    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    I was just in the Yukon, where there are better trails within any given five square kilometer area than there are in the entire SLC valley (and most of PC), and I fielded at least three inquiries along the lines of, "...oh, you guys have a bunch of gnarly cool trails down there, eh?". My standard reply was, "Please specify which alternate universe you're hearing that from. I'll visit it, and let you know."
    SLC isn't Whistler. It may be the Moab effect or it may be the fact that SLC has the steepest skiing in the country that gives people the impression that there is a downhill scene here. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly) we aren't in Canada. Few places in the US have super knarly downhill trails. That said if one is creative and inclined to pedal a bike a bit uphill there is a ton of great rides with long downhills in the Wasatch. Sure, they arn't comparible to Whistler but what is? At least we aren't in Kansas or some other flat humid hell hole
    Sierra Club Sucks

  9. #9
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    Sure, they arn't comparible to Whistler but what is?
    Two words: Downhill Domination on Playstation!

    Ok, that was four words. Whatever.


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Riding in SLC.

    First off I woud like to apologize for all of the useless responces and banter that people get on this forum. There is some useful info in there if you can pick it out.

    SLCRM has a point and I believe is correct that most of the riding in SLC is going to require some (alot) pedaling so a DH bike might not be the best weapon. I would suggest checking out www.Utahmountainbiking.com and reading some of the trail descriptions and picking some rides there. There are some shuttleable DH rides if you know where to look for them. Have fun.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  11. #11
    DOH!
    Reputation: SprungShoulders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    Few places in the US have super knarly downhill trails.
    Been to the east coast?

    Sure, what we have is nice enough from an XC point of view for (kinda) being in our backyard, but every time I pedal over an hour up Rob's/Colin's to Mid Mtn and then enjoy a whopping six minutes of kinda OK quasi-DH on the new "black diamond, experts-only" trail (which, literally three days after it opened was closed and re-routed half way down!! ) that drops through the Canyons and intersects with the bottom of Holly's, I think to myself that with the steeeeep terrain the Canyons has access to they could build progressive gravity-fed fun to rival the best anywhere. But, they don't.

    And being a Chicago native, I find it somewhat ironic that even the Windy City is going to get a full-blown bike park, while Salt Lake continuously ponders the important stuff, like how to keep alcohol out of the hands of consenting adults.

    So, it's my advice to leave the DH rig at home, especially if you have a slack-ish 6in AM bike. You'll save yourself hauling the big rig around, and still be able to enjoy pretty much all the trails we have, Deer Valley included.

    Bring an extra set of lungs if you're not used to prolonged climbing and/or the altitude, and a cattle prod to deal with the pesky hikers and single-speeders.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A.P.B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    347

    Wow

    Don't know if most of that was in fun or not. I havn't heard anything about the trails one way or another in the SLC area . That why I was asking . Going to be up that way visiting some people thought I would find out what was around . Sorry to aggravate the locals . If any of you come down to Az we well treat you right
    JRA

  13. #13
    gunslinger
    Reputation: selector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    Don't know if most of that was in fun or not. I havn't heard anything about the trails one way or another in the SLC area . That why I was asking . Going to be up that way visiting some people thought I would find out what was around . Sorry to aggravate the locals . If any of you come down to Az we well treat you right
    I ain't no DHer and I don't know/care what "all mountain" means... I'm all XC and I can get all I need right here in the valley or up an adjacent canyon.

    If you want to ride, there are a gubillion trails in or very near the SL Valley.

    Draper Corner Canyon (a city park)
    Solitude (yes, the snowboard area)
    Wasatch Crest (just up the street from Sol)
    Yellow Fork (south west corner of the valley)
    East Canyon (a tiny bit out of the SL valley)
    Temple Quarry (base of little cottonwood canyon)
    Bobsled et al behind the U
    BST
    On
    and
    On
    and
    On

    If you wanna ride, PM me and let's chat.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    Don't know if most of that was in fun or not. I havn't heard anything about the trails one way or another in the SLC area . That why I was asking . Going to be up that way visiting some people thought I would find out what was around . Sorry to aggravate the locals . If any of you come down to Az we well treat you right
    Ignore all of the perceived aggravation, several locals have nothing better to do than complain about things!!! This mentality is not shared by the SLC biking community. There are tons of great trails which afford excellent views/riding experiences. As others have mentioned, be prepared to pedal. If you are ok pedaling, you will love the riding here. Utahmountainbiking.com is a great resource. You may also want to check out some of the trails north of SLC, such as:

    Mueller Park to Rudy's Flat (ride on a week day, morning if possible)
    Snowbasin
    Southern Skyline to Lewis Peak
    Northeyn Skyline to Ben Lomond

    Make sure you ride the Wasatch Crest trail. It will not provide a gnarly downhill, however the views will be unlike anything you have ever seen. You will want to shuttle this trail and can descend Millcreek Canyon to lengthen the ride.

    If the whiners above don't like the riding afforded by the SLC area, they should move elsewhere. There are plenty of us who love the local trails!
    Last edited by jon.moab; 07-21-2010 at 06:24 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    He means Millcreek canyon

    You can go down the pipeline trail in millcreek canyon. You can also climb up to dog lake from the bottom of the crest and then down Mill D trail back to big cottonwood. There are lots of ride options.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  16. #16
    Homer's problem child
    Reputation: Bortis Yelltzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab
    Ignore all of the perceived aggravation, several locals have nothing better to do than complain about things!!! This mentality is not shared by the SLC biking community. There are tons of great trails which afford excellent views/riding experiences. As others have mentioned, be prepared to pedal. If you are ok pedaling, you will love the riding here. Utahmountainbiking.com is a great resource. You may also want to check out some of the trails north of SLC, such as:...
    I think the point made by the "complainers" had more to do with the lack of DH/shuttle type rides than the SLC MTB riding in general. I think most of the aggrivation is about how much better things "could be" than they are. Not that things suck, because there is a lot of great riding. But be prepared to pedal and a 40 lb DH sled with a single ring isn't going to be a ton of fun on 99% of the trails here, and the 1% that it will be fun on are mostly kept on the DL by the "brocals".

    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab
    Make sure you ride the Wasatch Crest trail. It will not provide a gnarly downhill, however the views will be unlike anything you have ever seen. You will want to shuttle this trail and can descend Immigration Canyon to lengthen the ride.

    If the whiners above don't like the riding afforded by the SLC area, they should move elsewhere. There are plenty of us who love the local trails!
    Please explain. Ridden Crest to Mill Creek canyon countless times, but not sure how to connect it to Emigration Canyon. And Dog forbid someone doesn't agree that SLC riding is mecca and perfect the way it is and shouldn't change. As a mtb rider you should thank the people out there looking to add trails and improve things, the first step in doing that is speaking up about trails and features that are lacking... which can be called complaining I guess...

    The old "if you don't like it move" argument is gheyer than AIDS and about as cool as "I know you are but what am I"...

    My $0.02...

    BY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

  17. #17
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab
    If the whiners above don't like the riding afforded by the SLC area, they should move elsewhere. There are plenty of us who love the local trails!
    Reading comprehension is weak on this forum. No one said they didn't like the local trails. Many of us moved here for the trails. What we did say is that somehow, somewhere, Northern Utah has gained a reputation as a place where you should vacation with your DH bike, which is really not a great plan.

    While DH friendly trails do exist, they are either illegal, unofficial, short, hard to find, poorly maintained (DV, looking at you here) or they require a lot of pedaling. None of which is particularly friendly to Joe Kansas coming out here looking for his big bike stoke.

    Now, if you wanted to ask me about the best singlespeed friendly trails in N. Utah, I would have a long list, and would probably include several of DV's so-called DH trails, as I have found them to be quite fun on the hardtail lately...
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    137
    It has nothing to do with reading comprehension. I fail to see the utility in being hostile to someone who is genuinely seeking advice/recommendations.

    @BY

    There is a huge difference between pointless bickering and a general lack of consideration and actually advocating and working to create new trails.

  19. #19
    MTBR member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    798
    It has nothing to do with reading comprehension. I fail to see the utility in being hostile to someone who is genuinely seeking advice/recommendations.

    Well said!

  20. #20
    DOH!
    Reputation: SprungShoulders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by jon.moab
    It has nothing to do with reading comprehension. I fail to see the utility in being hostile to someone who is genuinely seeking advice/recommendations.
    No, it has EVERYTHING to do with reading comprehension. The original poster stated he was bring his 6in AM and DH bike. Advice was then offered-up that with a 6in AM bike you can ride 99.9+% of all legal trails in/around the valley. A DH bike is overkill, unwieldy, and if you're going out of your way to pack said bike from AZ to SLC, you're wasting your time and effort.

    It was then observed that, somehow, the SLC valley has gotten a bogus rep as a place to bring a DH bike. A few observations as to why that might be were made. No hostility. No bickering. People honestly have a much different opinion of the quality of the trails here depending on what you're looking for. That's it!

    ...And anyone who reads more than three threads from this forum should know that much of what is said is done with tongue firmly planted in cheek. It shouldn't be a tremendous mental strain to read through the white noise to extract the pertinent info.

  21. #21
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    No, it has EVERYTHING to do with reading comprehension. The original poster stated he was bring his 6in AM and DH bike. Advice was then offered-up that with a 6in AM bike you can ride 99.9+% of all legal trails in/around the valley. A DH bike is overkill, unwieldy, and if you're going out of your way to pack said bike from AZ to SLC, you're wasting your time and effort.

    It was then observed that, somehow, the SLC valley has gotten a bogus rep as a place to bring a DH bike. A few observations as to why that might be were made. No hostility. No bickering. People honestly have a much different opinion of the quality of the trails here depending on what you're looking for. That's it!

    ...And anyone who reads more than three threads from this forum should know that much of what is said is done with tongue firmly planted in cheek. It shouldn't be a tremendous mental strain to read through the white noise to extract the pertinent info.
    Whoa there sailor! My beer goggled eyes are still a spinnin'!

    So eloquantly put, yet with such reserved emotion-and without the use of emotocons.

    Simply beautiful.

    Not to chooch this sh!t train to nowhere'sville thread but you've earned an entry into the Humdinger in September with this rant. If you're interested post up in that Thread with a link here as a reminder.

    If not, then still well put sir.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wooden peg leg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10
    Were is this bobsled trial? can someone help me out and show me were that one is?

    thanks.

  23. #23
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by wooden peg leg
    Were is this bobsled trial? can someone help me out and show me were that one is?

    thanks.
    Bobsled drops down from the BST behind the Avenues. www.utahmountainbiking.com

  24. #24
    gunslinger
    Reputation: selector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by wooden peg leg
    Were is this bobsled trial? can someone help me out and show me were that one is?

    thanks.
    I've only been there once, but I believe this is the start:

    4047'51.36"N,11151'1.94"W

    Plug those into Google Earth just as shown. The Bobsled drops (to the left) just before the 90 degree left-hander (riding west).

    It's a great XC ride leading to it. I went down hoping to see some real DH action, but never saw anyone but me and the (3) guys I was with - all XC riders.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wooden peg leg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10
    thanks for the replies everyone. i will go and try out the bobsled trial soon. the one thing that i have noticed about living here so far is how dry it is all the time. how do y'all deal with the driness. i have been rubbing lotion all over me every night before i go to bed.

    The montains are nice to look at thogh.

    Thanks.

  26. #26
    dedicated beater
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by wooden peg leg
    thanks for the replies everyone. i will go and try out the bobsled trial soon. the one thing that i have noticed about living here so far is how dry it is all the time. how do y'all deal with the driness. i have been rubbing lotion all over me every night before i go to bed.

    The montains are nice to look at thogh.

    Thanks.
    Haha...I moved out here from upstate NY 4 years ago and now I can't understand how I dealt with the humidity. In other words, you'll get used to the dryness of the desert. The toughest part is learning how to deal with the inevitable moondust on the trails. That stuff can get slick sometimes.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7
    If one were looking to move to the SLC, where would this person want to live to have some good single track loops within riding distance of his casa?

  28. #28
    Chumley for prez!
    Reputation: mr. welcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Going for Broke
    If one were looking to move to the SLC, where would this person want to live to have some good single track loops within riding distance of his casa?
    Downtown, The avenues, and Sugarhouse all have good access to the bonneville shoreline trail system. You get a little more for your $ in sugarhouse, and have better freeway access for getting to park city, the cottonwood canyons, etc. However, if you live in the avenues you can look down on everyone and tell them how much better you are than them. So it's a tradeoff, smugness for good freeway access and a better value.

    Just my experience, someone will probably tell me i'm wrong,

  29. #29
    Homer's problem child
    Reputation: Bortis Yelltzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    Downtown, The avenues, and Sugarhouse all have good access to the bonneville shoreline trail system. You get a little more for your $ in sugarhouse, and have better freeway access for getting to park city, the cottonwood canyons, etc. However, if you live in the avenues you can look down on everyone and tell them how much better you are than them. So it's a tradeoff, smugness for good freeway access and a better value.

    Just my experience, someone will probably tell me i'm wrong,
    You're wrong.

    But basically what has already been said. 9th and 9th is a cool area too. Aves has the best from the door trail access in the northern part of the valley. I'm sure there are great areas in Sandy, Cottonwood Heights and Draper too for going from the door to dirt.

    BY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

  30. #30
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: Idiot Boy 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    Downtown, The avenues, and Sugarhouse all have good access to the bonneville shoreline trail system. You get a little more for your $ in sugarhouse, and have better freeway access for getting to park city, the cottonwood canyons, etc. However, if you live in the avenues you can look down on everyone and tell them how much better you are than them. So it's a tradeoff, smugness for good freeway access and a better value.

    Just my experience, someone will probably tell me i'm wrong,
    It is true that the Avenues is far superior than other neighborhoods. It has the cleanest air, the most beautiful women, the smartest children, and most important very close trail access. The Aves is cheaper now than it was in the past. Draper's cool too.
    Sierra Club Sucks

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A.P.B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    347

    Great Trails

    Quick update of Are trip to SLC area . Had a great time riding!!!!!. We did the Crest trail to Desolation lake then Mil D Trail out . Very very fun. Loved the lower part where all the small water bars and roots were. Then Draper Dh Runs Very nice Did those on 6 inch bike . Then rode the Crest trail all the way out to The pipe trail.
    Cant wait to get back the way i know we didn't even touch what really around there.

    Thanks
    Andy
    JRA

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.