Salmon Air- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salmon Air

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Salmon Air

Has anyone used Salmon Air to fly into Moab? If so, please share your experience. I'm wondering if I should fly Salmon Air from SLC or take a shuttle bus.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

PuddleJumpers

They are pretty small planes (10 people?), but they are the only way to fly from SLC to Moab. I think they still only have one flight a day each way, so if there is bad weather or they have a mechanical, you're stuck. I'm not sure how they handle bikes. You might want to make sure this isn't an issue.

Have you looked into flying into Grand Junction, CO? It is only 90 driving minutes from Moab, and Fruita is on the way.

They have shuttles from GJ, or you can rent a car.

Quote Originally Posted by davefromNJ
    Has anyone used Salmon Air to fly into Moab? If so, please share your experience. I'm wondering if I should fly Salmon Air from SLC or take a shuttle bus.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    honkinunit,

Thanks for your reply. We're planning a 9 day trip in April 2005. We plan on staying at the Best Western Canyonlands Inn. It's less than a mile to Poison Spider bike shop, where we will ship our bikes. I can see your point about limited flights/day and possible mechanical problems on Salmon Air. Also, I would like to ride at Fruita. I think flying into GJT is looking like the better option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

GJ and Fruita and Moab

Since you are shipping your bikes, maybe you could ship them to/from Over the Edge in Fruita. Then you'd have them there on your way from/to the airport to/from Moab. Or rent from OTE and ship to Poison Spider. Fruita is worth a few days, especially if you are going to be in the area for nine days. There are several hotels in Fruita, and I'm sure OTE could help you. You really need a car to get to the trailheads in Fruita though. And one is highly recommended for Moab, although you can get by in Moab by just using shuttles.

Fruita is only 10 minutes from Walker Field, so even if you arrive kind of late, you can still get in a ride. Then 1:20 to Moab from there.

http://www.otesports.com

Of course, you could easily spend nine days in Moab and not get bored, so the choice is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by davefromNJ
    honkinunit,

Thanks for your reply. We're planning a 9 day trip in April 2005. We plan on staying at the Best Western Canyonlands Inn. It's less than a mile to Poison Spider bike shop, where we will ship our bikes. I can see your point about limited flights/day and possible mechanical problems on Salmon Air. Also, I would like to ride at Fruita. I think flying into GJT is looking like the better option.