Round 3 = Brian Head... not Grafton.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Round 3 = Brian Head... not Grafton.

I'll be down south this weekend. Family get together up at Duck Creek above Cedar. My bro-in-law and I are going to head over to Brian Head on Saturday for some lift served... weather permitting. Please don't rain, please don't rain...

If any of you southerners are going to be up there, give me a shout. Or look for the tool on the cement colored as-X. If not, I'll be down for some George area riding late September/October when the temps cool off.

Wasea, KO21, Furrykid... no travels to SLC? I'm still waiting to pay you kids back for the shuttles and good times you've provided in your neighborhood.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder
    I'll be down south this weekend. Family get together up at Duck Creek above Cedar. My bro-in-law and I are going to head over to Brian Head on Saturday for some lift served... weather permitting. Please don't rain, please don't rain...

If any of you southerners are going to be up there, give me a shout. Or look for the tool on the cement colored as-X. If not, I'll be down for some George area riding late September/October when the temps cool off.

Wasea, KO21, Furrykid... no travels to SLC? I'm still waiting to pay you kids back for the shuttles and good times you've provided in your neighborhood.
    If you can find a local in the know, there's a great DH trail above Cedar City. Easy shuttle either on pavement or quicker on a dirt road if you take your lifted H2 Hummer. Whomever built it tried hiding the entrance so it can be a bit sketchy finding the start. Complete with a fairly big road gap, big doubles, step downs and is fairly long for a trail like that. My brother found it walking the dog early one spring and saw foot prints/tire tracks in the snow going through some bushes. It's right off of a popular hiking/biking trail (can't recall the name but it has an old mining cart at the bottom).

Brian Head resort actually added a couple of trails this year you can suffer on off to skiers right. I didn't ride the resort during the DH race a few weeks back but watched the Stupid D'ers coming across this new trail and almost passing out. See'ing as how Bucky The Wonder Pony was racing his 6inch bike instead of his hard tail 29'er , I'm guessing it was rough.

We did hit up Dark Hollow and Left Fork At Bunker Creek. DH is just getting rougher and rougher and I was glad I had 2-PLY 2.5 DH tires. If you want to get a decent/quick shuttle in, I would hit that one up.

Wish I was down there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Wish I was down there.
    Not knowing if ANYONE on this board knows how to really take you... I wish you were down there too. I'd love to hang for a day and find out who you really are. I get a kick out of your sarcasm... or are you being serious... or sarcastic... or serious... ahhh, whatever.

Thanks for the info.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebuilder
    Not knowing if ANYONE on this board knows how to really take you... I wish you were down there too. I'd love to hang for a day and find out who you really are. I get a kick out of your sarcasm... or are you being serious... or sarcastic... or serious... ahhh, whatever.

Thanks for the info.
    Well, that was actually all legit (go figure). I haven't ridden that DH trail in Cedar in two years so I'm not certain what it's like now. I just went to Brian Head with a group racing the Flyin' Brian DH race and opted out this year and just decided to ride some trails I've missed the last couple as I was always focused on practicing for that race or the NORBA stuff.

Up until a few weeks ago I haven't ridden all of Dark Hollow in years, the last time I think I was on a hard tail or at the very least a XC bike. I know it's gone through a few reroutes because of the beetles killing the trees, but it's current state is a lot of fun for a long travel bike. One of the guys who rode it with us mentioned that if he did it again he'd like to try his DH bike and a full face. I guess my only complaint would be the last part is like 3 miles of fireroad, but there are a handful of wall hits and it's steep enough that you don't have to pedal at all so....

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the resort proper as the best riding to be had down there is off the backside of the mountain/resort. But the people down there are really accomodating and appreciate the mtb'ing business-and treat you that way-unlike....say Sundance or even Deer Valley.

Having said all that, Right Fork At Bunker Creek was a lot of fun too-although it's a long shuttle.

mtbr member
    Awsome. We've got options whether we shuttle or ride the the lifts... or a little of both. The main thing is the rain. Forcast calls for 50% chance of showers. That's not some happy medium. A Utah 50% chance of rain could get you knives and forks all day long.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Rogue - you know that theProf is going to be at Brian Head this weekend too, right? You guys should hook up for some riding. Wish I could head down also - work calls though.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm actually going to up north at DV both Sat and Mon.............I disagree with SLC on where the best riding is at Brian Head, I prefer the lifts to Dark Hollow and Bunker Creek.......the shuttle drives and arranging them just kills me, I'd much rather sit on the lift for fifteen minutes. The resort itself has the more challenging riding too, Dark Hollow's rocky sections are a blast though too.
    I'll tell ya what, Brian Head has a few moves that are on par with some of the moves on the Monkey and even surpass Grafton........less exposure is the only diff.

I met the kid who built the secret Cedar DH trail, he was in a cast at the time and couldn't show me at the time, but it sounds really good, I'll have to look him up again.

When you get down later in the month definitely look me up.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Don't worry about the rain. Hit up Dark Hollow if it rains. Thing rides great. Mostly rock surface anymore. In fact, if the lift remains open, the resort rides really well in the rain (minus the wood).

To get a shuttle driver:

Invite a buddy from out of town to come ride the great trails of UT. Take him on a trail he's never been on and make sure to half-bury a big rock at the apex of a berm the week before. Generally this is quite effective for snapping the collar bone and. . there's your shuttle driver! Now, he'll generally be driving under the influence of alcohol and percocet and possibly medicinal herbs. . . so a rental car is preferable.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    I'll tell ya what, Brian Head has a few moves that are on par with some of the moves on the Monkey and even surpass Grafton........less exposure is the only diff.
    Really? Which sections? I've never ridden Flying Monkey cause I'm scared. But I'll ride BH. Curious.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Dark Hollow 8/14/09

Dark Hollow this past August. Beth on her 9th mountain bike ride ever, crushing some flailing richard smoker of a rider on the downhill. After this ride she wouldn't let me swap her heavy 2.5 3C's back to her trail bike tires.
    This ride is definitely back in my top 10.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Really? Which sections? I've never ridden Flying Monkey cause I'm scared. But I'll ride BH. Curious.
    I'm scared too. And just too old and senile now. I don't think I could get my Hoveround down something that narrow. Riding Rob's, Holly's, Ambush the other night I thought I was going to ride off the side and down the scree. Doesn't help when you're in the back getting dusted by the youngsters either . I'll just live that ride through video footage and call it good. Last thing I need is a broken hip or have my glass eye fall out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No kidding on the hips!

Coincidentally, I just rode that PC trail yesterday. Fortunately, I had no fear at all because Captain Canyons was on the trail to tell me what to do. I love him. How would I know to keep on pedaling if it weren't for him? Thank god he was there.

Other favorites are Capt Shoreline (whom we all know) who taught me the error of my ways with regards to braking and drifting and just plain going too fast. There's Capt Meuller, who (as I was passing him on the climb) informed me that I needed clip pedals, to attend a spin class, raise my seat and use a smaller gear.

Where would we be without these men navigating the ship of mountain biking down the emasculated, well-behaved, multi-use trails we so love?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    No kidding on the hips!

Coincidentally, I just rode that PC trail yesterday. Fortunately, I had no fear at all because Captain Canyons was on the trail to tell me what to do. I love him. How would I know to keep on pedaling if it weren't for him? Thank god he was there.

Other favorites are Capt Shoreline (whom we all know) who taught me the error of my ways with regards to braking and drifting and just plain going too fast. There's Capt Meuller, who (as I was passing him on the climb) informed me that I needed clip pedals, to attend a spin class, raise my seat and use a smaller gear.

Where would we be without these men navigating the ship of mountain biking down the emasculated, well-behaved, multi-use trails we so love?
    It's a great set of trails that you can bust out fast after work. Hopefully Captain I-pod wasn't out running around all Forrest Gump-like in front of you like our ride. I was getting my popcorn ready for a slap fight between him and mr. welcorn. Amazing how loud that guy can yell while riding. Sounded kind of like an older, menopausal woman getting goosed after a couple decades void of any male effection.

I was fortunate enough to meet Rear Admiral Every Trail In Millcreek Canyon a couple months ago. He tought me that keeping both my brakes locked, squeeling and almost catching fire was still too fast to descend down any of his trails.

mtbr member
    Hooked up with the Prof on Sat. The weather was beautiful. I love Brian Head.

NOT Team Sanchez
    The rock garden to drop midway down Lil Gritty, the tech sketch roller to tight left turn at the top of Lil Gritty with a small cliff if you mess up, and George's rock midway down Faith's Wicked Rockgarden not too mention the pro rock garden in that section. Rogue, did you hit any of the above moves?
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    That's a gorgeous pic SLC, that section and the section right after the double track are my favorite sections, fast and rocky!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    The rock garden to drop midway down Lil Gritty, the tech sketch roller to tight left turn at the top of Lil Gritty with a small cliff if you mess up, and George's rock midway down Faith's Wicked Rockgarden not too mention the pro rock garden in that section. Rogue, did you hit any of the above moves?

Yes I did hit some of those moves. There are deffinitely a few technical sections on this mountain. The tight left after the sketch roller almost got me. I had a close call; but, was able to hold on and bring it around. ...which was good for cleaning a few cob webs out of my mind.

On Wild Flower or Lil Gritty or something (Other than Timberline, I don't remember which trails were which) there's a nasty little rock garden with a rock drop to chundery landing... Is that rock George's rock? I did not drop the rock; but, felt that the garden by itself was fairly technical.

mtbr member
    I'm actually going to up north at DV both Sat and Mon.............I .
    Dang, wished I'd seen this post before I left for PC last Friday. I had a great XC ride but would've loved to join you guys for some DV lift-served shredding.

I may still get in there before the snow flies.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yep, those are the moves I figured you were talking about. I loved the race course with the long straight section before that rock garden to drop. Plenty of time to think about it. Too much. . .

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey roguebuilder..... sorry I missed this trip down would have loved to join but I was in Maine for a wedding. I'll have to catch you next time.

Members who have read this thread: 0