Road Trip this Weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Road Trip this Weekend

I am going to start out by riding Bootleg in Boulder City, NV any suggestions on the most fluid way to run the many short trails would be appreciated (expecting to ride about 20 miles).

Secondly, hitting up Gooseberry the next day and possible Little Creek in the afternoon (is it open and easy to follow).

On my third day I am planning on heading out to the Brian Head and am very interested in check Dark Hollow out and had a few questions. First and foremost is the trail ride-able right now and secondly is it possible to make a loop ride out of this trail. I'm thinking my best bet would be to drop the car at Second Left-hand Canyon > Ride down US-143 > Turn right on Dry Lake Road and ride the Twisted Forest > Turn Left at Sugarloaf Mountain Rd > Right back on to US - 143 > Left up to Brian Head Peak > Dark Hollow > Back to Car. I could also shift my starting point depending on what may be best.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/darkholl.htm
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/twisted.htm

Day four will consist of riding Thunder Mountain and I thought that a combined loop of Thunder Mountain and Cassidy Loop May be fun, any opinions. (as part of Cassidy should I ride the Rich Trail or not).

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/cassidy.htm
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/thunder.htm

Last day I will head back down to Vegas and Hit up either Cottonwood or Cowboy Trail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, if you think there are better trails to ride let me know and I may switch some out. I'm basically looking for nice flowing epic cross county trails. Difficulty doesn't matter just no crazy 5"+ of travel mandatory stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looks like a sweet trip.

The high country is melting out fast, but I would count Dark Hollow and any other trails that originate near the Brian Head Peak/Sidney Peaks ridge out as huge snow drifts are still present. I biked to the top of Summit Mountain on Saturday and had snow free conditions (save a few small drifts) up to about 9500 feet, but I could see plenty of snow over on Navajo Ridge (Twisted Forest area) and the Sidney Peaks Ridge.

Your best bet for singletrack in the Brian Head area would be to park at Woods Ranch and ride the Virgin Rim Trail eastward until you hit snow.

Navajo Lake may also be melted out - but I haven't been up there yet.

A pretty good day of riding in the Cedar City area would be to hit the Three Peaks trails in the morning, the "C" trail (this is snow free) as an out and back in the afternoon, and the Virgin Rim/Navajo Lake area in the evening, and then head for Thunder Mountain the next morning.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    tk421onthemic, thanks for the suggestions I guess that kind of puts a damper on one of are planned days. I was thinking originally about hit up JEM trail then Thunder but thought that higher elevation and that fact that Dark Hollow is a classic would be nice. I guess i'll do a little research on your suggested trails and plan accordingly. Is there anything else you recommend between Hurricane and Thunder Mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    We've got a big group going out. We're riding Bootleg Friday (may be a small group), Gooseberry Saturday, Sunday we're doing Thunder Mountain and possibly Casto/Cassidy/Loosee Canyon, and Monday we're going to hit up Little Creek Mtn on the way home.

We were going to do Bunker, but had to cancel due to snow on the peak still. Not sure about Bootleg trails. I've ridden there before, but have never gotten a good loop figured out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yah, we had to switch are trip up also due to the snow at Dark Hollow.

Are you one of the groups heading out from Orange County as well.

Were now riding Bootleg Friday morning and I'll possiblely ride JEM in the afternoon, Gooseberry Saturday then hiking in Zion Saturday, Thunder Mountain - Cassidy with a little jaunt of a hike in Bryce Sunday, Rainbow Rim Trail and exploring the North Rim on Monday (are replacement day), then going to head south and ride either Sedona or Flagstaff Tuesday then back to Orange County (probable Sedona).

mtbr member
    xsol99 maybe we'll run into eachother this weekend! if you want more details on what we're doing you can check out

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...m-session.html

Members who have read this thread: 0