Road Trip from Los Angeles to Denver (then back); Local Riding buddies/Ride ideas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Road Trip from Los Angeles to Denver (then back); Local Riding buddies/Ride ideas

Hi…

I am getting a week to myself (xwife to b has kids for her vacation) and I need to just get away.

I have never been riding in Colorado and enjoy riding in Vegas and Hurricane so planning a road trip for next week.

So far I’m thinking:

D1 (Monday Morning) – Cowboy Trails, Las Vegas (ridden a couple times)
    D2 (Tues Morning) – Goosebury/Hidden Canyon (ridden twice)
    D3 (Wed Morning) – Denver Colorado area ride or in between, suggestions???
    D4 (Thurs Morn) – Moab (never been) Navajo Rocks???
    D5 (Friday Morn need to be back in LA by 5:30 for pickup) Guacamole???

Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions of where to go and if anyone’s looking for a riding buddy those mornings I enjoy riding with new or old buddies. I am older (not retirement age), competent but in no way a racer type. Just enjoy good adventures.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    You should also post to the Colorado boards to determine if there are snow level issues, at least.

What dates are you considering? Are you starting Monday of next week?

I like the Hurricane/St. George area but I like Moab more. Since you've ridden the southern area and have easier access to it, I think it might pay off to skip one of those days and add it to Moab.

Frankly, I'd haul ass to Moab, tomorrow, skip everything else (other than a ride/rest day in between LA and Moab) and if you don't like Moab as much, just hit everything you'd have ridden the first couple of days at the end.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=88&city=Moab

A cold front is moving through, so highs the next three days will be in the 60's and 70's in Moab. Good time to go, but your calender may not allow it.

Check the snow levels in Colorado. In Northern Utah, the snow level is still around 8500 feet, so that may impact your plans there.

As for Navajo Rocks, I really like it. My only firm recommendation is to ride it such that Ramblin' is a downhill portion. My preferred route is a figure 8 from the upper parking area (the second you get to). Down Ramblin' up Rocky Tops, up Middle Earth to West Parking (a good opportunity to have a snack at the car or just press on)....CCW on Big Mesa-Big Lonely, Coney Island and back up Middle Earth again to parking. It's a bit over 19 miles, I think.

Another decent ride is to park part way down the Gemini Bridges dirt road (parallelling Mag 7) to Arth's Corner. There I'd climb up Getaway to Descend Bull Run. Back at parking, continue on Arth's to Little Canyon singletrack back up Great Escape to parking. I think it's 16 or 17 miles. It'll give you a flavor of Mag 7 without the shuttle. Alternately, at the end of Little Canyon ST, you could ride an out-and-back on Gold bar as far as you want before returning up Great Escape....just be aware that the 3.5 miles of Great Escape, after all that, will feel like 10 miles.

Here's a list of the trails in Moab and directions/maps:
    Moab Area Trails

Shuttling portions of whatever is open on The Whole Enchilada is something you could do prior to a shorter additional ride. TWE (I'm guessing it'll be open from Hazard down, or so) isn't that long or demanding unless you stop to enjoy the views, which I do. Even then, I can usually combine it with another ride. One relatively short option would be Hymasa/Ahab.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Slickrock is another must-do option if time is in short supply, 2.5 hours will be enough to ride it all from parking lot with few breaks to take some pics (must have too).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borisotto View Post
    Slickrock is another must-do option if time is in short supply, 2.5 hours will be enough to ride it all from parking lot with few breaks to take some pics (must have too).
    You're going to get a lot of people saying to skip SR, but I like it. It's a pretty nice way to supplement the sections of TWE that are likely to be open.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    My take on SR is that one has to ride it once, then one can decide to bike on it again&again or - never again.

Your Best Friend
    The Denver area is so far out of your way and a serious extension of your drive time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    why denver ???-----hell of an extra drive---how about Fruita---2 hours from Moab

Short-Change-Hero
    If in Denver and have a little time to kill go by the Guerrilla Gravity offices and check stuff out. I will be up northern CO in about a week and am hoping I can get down to Denver (3hr drive from where I will be staying) to meet the makers of my newest whip (bought a 2019 Get Revved THE SMASH)!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hello all,

SilentFoe good to hear from you again.

I am heading to Denver to check out a couple of music instruments that maybe geometry wise perfect for me (These are the closest to me). That's the best way for me to relate it to biking. Kind of like my first trips to Sedona, and Hurricane festivals was all for the festivals so to demo bikes (which helped me define what I am looking for in my next bike). Well this will give me the ability to determine what feels best in my hands so when I can afford to get something I know what to look for.

I am not looking currently at a new bike. If I were I'd be grabbing a Fugitive, the new Firebird 29er, the new SB150 or SB130 as well as the GG. I have another break without the kids so I maybe back within a month to enjoy more of Hurricane and Moab and maybe try one of those out.

I appreciate the suggestion on Slick Rock/Fruita. Will look into those.

Thinking straight to Moab as suggested (thanks MSU) then hit things I know about on the way back.

Thanks everyone and any other ideas are certainly welcome. Hope everyone enjoys some great rides this weekend!

mtbr member
    A friend of mine just flew out to Denver for a 3-day weekend and demo'd a GG bike. That option would save you a ton of driving, not require flying with a bike, and still allow you check out the instruments you're interested in. 5 days for a drive to Denver and back is not worth it IMO. Plus Vegas and Moab are both heading towards 100* temps with Hurricane not far behind. I bet you could get a return flight for less than the cost of gas to drive to Denver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks evdog for the idea. Where did your buddy demo the GG in Denver. It was my understanding the trails weren't open due to not being dried enough. No big deal, just curious.

Had a fantastic trip and I want to thank everyone for chiming in. As usual plans got delayed and I had to sidetrack so first ride wasn't until Monday morning. Hit Guacamole and Margarita which were just a blast. That afternoon drove out to Moab and hit the Dead Horse area (spent way too much time on the flat sections to get to the chunky parts) and then as MSU suggested hit Ramblin, Rocky Tops and Middle Earth the next morning. Which was awesome. Then I headed to Denver. Met one of the highest profile online guitarist on a whim (very cool) and spent the entire day demoing gear (fun). The next morning (too hot to ride in the afternoons by then) I was at Grand Junction and enjoyed the lunch loops trails (Free lunch, Holly Cross, etc) which was just over the top. Temperatures by then were in the 90's so that was it for me as I had to be back the next day. Met some cool people along the way and supported some local shops along the way too. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get a LT 29er with excellent descending under 29 lbs so I can climb with the best of them and crush the chunk a little better next time. Hope you all enjoyed some great trails this week. Again, thanks everyone for helping me create my awesome adventure.