Road trip CA to CO- Mtbr.com
    Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005

Road trip CA to CO

My girl an me are heading to the US (from Oz) for a couple of weeks in August. I've got to do some work in NoCal first up. We were thinking about road tripping across to Crested Butte, CO. Stopping and riding along the way. (When we were in Moab a few years ago some people told us that Crested Butte is the choice for summer, hence the destination). So, any suggestions for a route/ itinery / riding spots along the way?

Cheers

mtbr member

lots of singletrack to look forward to...

Crested Butte is a great destination, especially in August. Ride early to avoid lightening storms later in the day. Also, while on your way from NorCal you might want to hit the following spots:

-Bay Area: Where I currently live...I guess I would recommend Skeggs Point on the Peninsula, Tamarancho in Marin and Soquel down near Santa Cruz. Pretty much the entire state of California is on fire right now and will be for the foreseeable future. So watch out for, well fire, and where there's fire, there's generally smoke.

-Downieville: So much fun, really long rides accessible by shuttle. Great views, outstanding singletrack.

-Lake Tahoe: Flume Trail - Epic, amazing views of the lake and one of the more famous rides in the US.

-Salt Lake City/Park City: Do yourself a huge favor and hit the Wasatch Crest in some form or another. You can actually ride singletrack from Park City to Salt Lake if you want but there are countless options to ride the Crest. It's some of the better, most underrated singletrack (on a national level, certainly not by locals) you will ever ride. Again, ride early to avoid the lightening and watch out for moose!

-Moab/Fruita: Where do you even begin? It sounds like you've been to Moab before but if you haven't hit Fruita, you gots to! Check with the locals for more specific info. It's super hot down there in August, brutally hot!

You'll likely hear from some other insiders for more detail. You should post on the NorCal board as well as the Western slope board (Colorado).

Cheers.

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    Cheers Boon Fly.

Great Info.

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    We're now thinking about hiring an RV for the trip. Is it usual to just pull off the road any old place for the night in the US or is it more usual to find an "RV Park'? Is there usually suitable space at the various trail heads etc? (I remeber RV's parked at the trails when we rode in Fruita a few years ago.)

Why does she want to make everything difficult????

mtbr member

can be done with planning...

I'm not sure it's a usual thing but it can be done with some careful planning. Just pulling over any old place won't work and you will certainly be limited in how mobile you are in urban areas like the Bay Area and even Salt Lake. I'm not an expert on RV use that's for sure but it could be a fun way to see the country. RV's are pretty popular here so resources about places to stay etc should be readily available from the place that you rent (hire ) from...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    RV parking largely depends on the RV. If it is smaller / nimble you are fine wherever you want for the most part, most people "RV park" for the hookups (electricity, water, grey and black water AKA "poop" ) and for the bizarre world of RV camaraderie / toolishness. If you have something small, run it, find an RV dump, you can carry days of water and grey/black water regardless...
    Last edited by dieselcruiserhead; 07-18-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Fartographer

Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    I'm not sure it's a usual thing but it can be done with some careful planning. Just pulling over any old place won't work and you will certainly be limited in how mobile you are in urban areas like the Bay Area and even Salt Lake. I'm not an expert on RV use that's for sure but it could be a fun way to see the country. RV's are pretty popular here so resources about places to stay etc should be readily available from the place that you rent (hire ) from...
    Walmart lets RVs park in their parking lots. Most trailheads will probably not work. Fruita doesn't really represent the rest of the country - more like the best of the country
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    OK. so the RV plan is out the window but the Park City leg is still on. Any suggestions on places to stay or places to get trail info?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Re

Check our www.utahmountainbiking.com for great trail info on the Wasatch Crest and surrounding areas. I will let others chime in on the best places to stay.

Members who have read this thread: 0