The road to goose- Mtbr.com
    Really I am that slow

The road to goose

Taken 3-13-2010 around 11am before the last bout of rain.... So please ride elsewhere for several days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The road to goose-muddin.jpg  

Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Thanks for the heads up! I didn't realize there were so many cows down there. I'll definitely wait until they clear out before I take my truck through there.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Thanks for the heads up! I didn't realize there were so many cows down there. I'll definitely wait until they clear out before I take my truck through there.
    Screw the cows! How about waiting until the road dries out so it isn't even more of a clusterf#$k for weeks to come... You were joking about the cows right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    Screw the cows! How about waiting until the road dries out so it isn't even more of a clusterf#$k for weeks to come... You were joking about the cows right?
    I have seen that road in waaaay worse shape than that. Driving thru that is not going to make the road any worse for weeks to come but I do enjoy your enthusiasm.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    I have seen that road in waaaay worse shape than that. Driving thru that is not going to make the road any worse for weeks to come but I do enjoy your enthusiasm.
    I live here and spend a few days a week on Gooseberry when the road is ok. Every time that area between SR59 and the first cattle guard gets mud bogged and rutted it is worse (deeper and wider) the next time it rains and then worse again the time after that,etc..etc.... until we are lucky enough to have the U-DOT or the county grade it.

FWIW, it was already graded for the early season so we're stuck with whatever condition it wnds up in for months to come. I don't think it selfish or unreasonable for us to want a road that isn't all effed up to drive on and/or to ask visitors to help us all out.
    Last edited by STT GUY; 03-14-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Really I am that slow
    Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should....
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should....
    Good evening Dave.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Would it not be the studly option to park in Apple Valley and ride up the original road into Goose? Since the old road is hardly ever used, the chances that is all torn up are slim, no?
    Last edited by 29erchico; 03-14-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Would it not be the studly option to park in Apple Valley and ride up the original road into Goose? Since the old road is hardly ever used, the chances that is all torn up are slim, no?
    Its an option if you ride from the gas station and through the hood of apple valley and squeeze your bike though the gate they had installed to keep people in the jeeps blasting through the hood...

Most mtb'ers i've found poo poo the idea of an 8 mile warm up on double track

+ you still end up with a very muddy bike before you get on the single track...

always down with showing folks that route as long as they respect the Apple Valley folks and don't mind a semi epic day on the bike
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Thanks for keeping us posted, the Wife and I are heading down that way Friday for a 8 day trip. I guess we'll go where we have to go. We'll definately stop by the shop to get the updated beta.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Thanks for keeping us posted, the Wife and I are heading down that way Friday for a 8 day trip. I guess we'll go where we have to go. We'll definately stop by the shop to get the updated beta.

Cheers!
    Go over to UtahMountainBiking(dot)com forum... I and others update local conditions after every ride and there is alot of good intel on our area. Frankly it s a better site for the information you seek.

mtbr member
    I live here and spend a few days a week on Gooseberry when the road is ok. Every time that area between SR59 and the first cattle guard gets mud bogged and rutted it is worse (deeper and wider) the next time it rains and then worse again the time after that,etc..etc.... until we are lucky enough to have the U-DOT or the county grade it.

FWIW, it was already graded for the early season so we're stuck with whatever condition it wnds up in for months to come. I don't think it selfish or unreasonable for us to want a road that isn't all effed up to drive on and/or to ask visitors to help us all out.
    Let me start by saying that I agree with you, we should stay off it when it is in really bad shape. That being said, it is not the end of the world. The road was fine for years before you started protecting it and it will be fine when you are dead and gone. The wet and boggy / dry and rutted has been happening for decades and the road continues to be used. I actually think it is hilarious that because you live close by and drive the road often you feel you have some proprietary control of the thing.

If I had some peeps visiting from out of town I would drive them up there today and show them a great time, road conditions as they are and your pleading would have 0 effect on my day.

So while I support your efforts in being the gatekeeper/ Gooseberry road Tsar I will continue to use the road at my leisure and I am sure others will as well.

On a side note, I send a letter to the county every year asking for them to put down actual road base and gravel to improve the road because of the high traffic it sees. Feel free to send your own letter because until it happens this situation will never improve.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Let me start by saying that I agree with you, we should stay off it when it is in really bad shape. That being said, it is not the end of the world. The road was fine for years before you started protecting it and it will be fine when you are dead and gone. The wet and boggy / dry and rutted has been happening for decades and the road continues to be used. I actually think it is hilarious that because you live close by and drive the road often you feel you have some proprietary control of the thing.

If I had some peeps visiting from out of town I would drive them up there today and show them a great time, road conditions as they are and your pleading would have 0 effect on my day.

So while I support your efforts in being the gatekeeper/ Gooseberry road Tsar I will continue to use the road at my leisure and I am sure others will as well.

On a side note, I send a letter to the county every year asking for them to put down actual road base and gravel to improve the road because of the high traffic it sees. Feel free to send your own letter because until it happens this situation will never improve.
    I don't feel I have any propretary control. I do like to try to keep it is some type of good shape, especially since it has had its allotted "spring grade" and it's going to be good long while before the next. FWIW local 4X4 kids spend plenty of time up there too so it's a lost cause.

Guess we should all just drive and ride everything, whenever we want and eff anyone who comes after us.

EDIT.....Ok.... sorry I was bing a bit of an ass above, it happens now and then. I'm just a regular guy who lives here and rides in this area a couple of hundred days a year so I try to stick to the places that are accessable and ridable with no or minimal impact and the weather is what determines that.

I realize that there are those who are going to blast through and ride whereever, whenever (seen Goulds lately...its fubared on the upper part) and I accept that but doesn;t mean I will not attempt to inform/educate folks to alternative rides.

They'll never put gravel on it is what I was told...gravel is expensive and budgets are shrinking. Hell, they can't even afford to keep up with the paved roads. Only reason Little Creek got a lava roadbed is because it is a study site and a big cheese got stuck and said "fix it". I thought and hoped that since it is a scenic by-way that there might have been "Obama Bucks" available but that was used on stuff like the Hurricane SR 9 expansion.

In reality our little road to Goose isn't important to anyone but maybe a half dozen ranchers and us. It would be way cool of there was a way to cut a switchback trial up the side from somehwere along SR59 right when you hit Apple Valley.. one can always dream.
    Last edited by STT GUY; 03-15-2010 at 10:26 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    With respect to you guys, some of whom I have ridden with and look forward to meeting the rest, are we really that concerned about the roads now?

The worse the road is, the tougher it is for folks to get to the trails, which is A-OK as far as I am concerned.

As a Utah MTB rider I feel I have no business owning a vehicle that can't make it to Gooseberry regardless of the road conditions. Let the rental cars turn back, I will see you at the trailhead!

EDIT: And the pedal-up option from AV is a solid option, will have to do that next time.

JMH

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    With respect to you guys, some of whom I have ridden with and look forward to meeting the rest, are we really that concerned about the roads now?

The worse the road is, the tougher it is for folks to get to the trails, which is A-OK as far as I am concerned.

As a Utah MTB rider I feel I have no business owning a vehicle that can't make it to Gooseberry regardless of the road conditions. Let the rental cars turn back, I will see you at the trailhead!

JMH
    Reason number 137 to never buy a rental fleet low mileage creampuff!!!!

BTW, did you see the pics of the guy in the Subaru Forrester that slid off of Guacamole as few weeks back? I'm sure he's having doubts about that whole "The Beauty of AWD" slogan
    Last edited by STT GUY; 03-15-2010 at 08:28 PM.

rider
    Jan 2005

In reality our little road to Goose isn't important to anyone but maybe a half dozen ranchers and us. It would be way cool of there was a way to cut a switchback trial up the side from somehwere along SR59 right when you hit Apple Valley.. one can always dream.
    That route exists, not singletrack but a nice climb up to the mesa. It is the original road to Goose that I refer to in my earlier post. It has been closed to all but "official" & bicycle traffic for quite a while now because too many yahoos were blasting thru AV and disturbing the locals.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reason number 137 to never buy a rental fleet low mileage creampuff!!!!

BTW, did you see the pics of the guy in the Subaru Forrester that slid off of Guacamole as few weeks back? I'm sure he's having doubts about that whole "The Beauty or AWD" slogan
    No, sounds NASTY! I think if the road was muddy I would walk the last mile to Guac... not worth the risk on that steep section.

Fartographer
    Good evening Dave.
    Just because I'm not supposed to, makes me wanna.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Really I am that slow

Example A

and one of many.... of why i do my best to steer folks to other spots when theres been lotsa water The road today was only nasty in 2 spots.... would rec amend 4x4 or rental car with damage wavier

Keep single track, single! PLEASE!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The road to goose-single.jpg  

Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've seen that road a lot worse then that but I agree we should avoid it if possable. Goose is a funny trail that way as usually the trail is fine the road to it dictates whether people go out there. I live in St George so if I saw it that bad I'd probably turn back but if I had come down from SLC and had a vehicle capable I'd deffinately go for it. This attitude of keeping people from out of town off the trail kind of cracks me up, the secret is out!!! everytime I go to Goose I feel like the only local. People are driving hundreds of miles to hit this trail, they will attempt the road regardless of the conditions. I think we should push it's popularity I think it's the only way to get that road fixed. Good thing about Goose is that even when the parking lot is full you hardly see anyone on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Control vs Care.

I understand your point that just because someone lives close to something and uses it often does not mean they own it and can decide how other use it. However if it were not for local people who want to have places to ride The trails on gooseberry mesa would not exist at all. Goose was built by Locals from Hurricane, and its locals from this same area that work with the BLM Forest Service, Land owners, Etc etc too keep trails open. If all of these people decided they did not care and everyone can just do what they want Singletrack trails would basically cease to exist. So I don't see locals trying to get the word out using trails, roads, etc when they are muddy as them trying to control them. I see it as them taking pride in them, and trying to enusre that they are around long after we are gone.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    and one of many.... of why i do my best to steer folks to other spots when theres been lotsa water The road today was only nasty in 2 spots.... would rec amend 4x4 or rental car with damage wavier

Keep single track, single! PLEASE!!
    Bummer.... there is no excuse for that period.

I'd rather be biking...
    Goose Was happening Today, Lots of people up there but so many open trails its still pretty quite once you get away from the trailhead. Road had a couple small wet spots but Jeezze,,, Whoever was determined to get across that road back when it was wet was sure motivated, Some pretty deep ruts left behind. Anyways, Great day to be up there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The road to goose-p1010073-1.jpg  

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Whoever was determined to get across that road back when it was wet was sure motivated, Some pretty deep ruts left behind.
    Ironically, there was a guy blading the road when I left today. Yeah, those ruts were epic. The best road conditions in the area are on the Rockville side, which is unusual.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Ironically, there was a guy blading the road when I left today. Yeah, those ruts were epic. The best road conditions in the area are on the Rockville side, which is unusual.

I stopped and talked with the road grader guy Sunday morning.

here is what I learned. The "city" of Apple Valley owns the grader and pays for the fuel. The gentleman driving it donates his time... yep, he's out working for FREE on a Sunday. I tried to give him a $20 spot and he absolutely 100% would not take it. He said the he enjoys helping to keep the road in shape and knows that a few people actually depend on it to get from AV to Rockville/Springdale and that he knows it is important to "you bicycle folks". Technically the town has no responsability to maintain this road. Since it is a scenic by-way U-DOT is supposed to do it but they only do it once.... maybe twice a year according to what this fella said.

So when you see the road grader guy, I would suggest that you stop and make a point of thanking him. I'm going to get the address for the town of Apple Valley and post it up. Off road Diesel is $2.50 a gallon and I'll send a few bucks to help keep the road grader out there and besides that it lets the town know we appreciate the efforts. Even a simple "thank you" note lets them know we care.

BTW - The road grader guy said the biggest trasher of the road is "those damn kids and knckleheads in the jeeps and mudder tracks.. but that's what kids do" Pretty cool attitude and IMO over the top "customer service" for us users of the road.

Members who have read this thread: 0