Moderator Moderator

RIP Canyons Bike Park

https://www.parkrecord.com/sports/pa...r-programming/

Sad to see the bike park go, though to be fair, the lift situation was such a disaster that I basically never rode there.

On the plus side, DV is adding an intermediate trail in the NCS area built by Gravity Logic.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Over the last couple years The Canyons bike park was definitely an afterthought for the resort with no improvements after they added the GoPro Double Down trail. Last year it appeared as if zero trail maintenance was performed once The Canyons became part of the PCMR while the trails that did feature some modest tech. were completely neutered. The lift situation was beyond a disaster.

Meanwhile, Deer Valley continues to improve their bike park, drawing in more riders even though the conditions were less than favorable last year. The new flow trails have been an excellent compliment to the existing trails, making DV the much better option for lift served riding.

In Utah, you need to be doing something seriously wrong if you canít attract mountain bikers to a lift served bike park. Hopefully PCMR is going back to the drawing board and is taking notes from Deer Valley, the mountain has vast potential that should be easy to capitalize on.

Moderator Moderator
    I would like to see them plow under basically every trail around the Crescent lift, from top to bottom, and start from scratch to build a good bikepark.

The Canyons side is just not that great, terrain wise, for bikes, especially when you can't get through the stupid Colony development. I'm guessing they made more money on the Colony than they would have on 100 years of bikepark revenue, though.

PCMR, on the other hand, is the perfect grade (ie, not very steep) for bikes and it's not shot through with steep drainages like the Canyons. There is no forest service or other big land management agency involved, either. It's ideal. Vail could, if they so desired, build a really world class bikepark there. I have not heard/seen any evidence of any plans for that, though.

Deer Valley is killing it.

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I just heard about this today, what a bummer, Rally Cat was one of my all-time fav trails to hot lap with a bunch of bros all hootin' and hollerin'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLungs! View Post
    I just heard about this today, what a bummer, Rally Cat was one of my all-time fav trails to hot lap with a bunch of bros all hootin' and hollerin'.
    Rally Cat is a very good trail and one of my favorites at The Canyons as well, but I am pretty sure I could peddle back to the trail head faster than the lift could shuttle me.