Rim Tours Bryce to Zion 4 day led tour -- opinions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Rim Tours Bryce to Zion 4 day led tour -- opinions?

I am thinking about doing a 3 or 4 day led tour from Bryce to Zion this year. I have read a lot of reviews on Rim Tours and almost all are positive -- great guides, food, fun, etc.

I consider myself a strong intermediate XC rider and love fast and flowy single/double track. I also consider myself a solid intermediate "all mountain" rider. I am from Northern California but have been out to Moab a couple of times and have ridden : 24hrs of Moab, Hazzard down UPS, LPS, Porc, Amasa Back, Mag 7 (though I walked most of Portal), and Slickrock.

My main concern is the skill level for Bryce to Zion. Unfortunately, Rim Tours does not have a map posted on their web site so I don't know their route. They do list it as an Intermediate ride; however, several videos I saw showed riders just cruising along like they were riding to a picnic at a beginner level. I am worried that the whole ride would be like that. Or, do they run with multiple guides and break the riders up by skill level?

So........................if there is anyone reading this who has done this ride with Rim Tours what did you think about the skill level suggested for the ride as well as the skill level and pace of your fellow riders? Also, a few of the videos made it look like there is a lot of riding on pavement. Are bikes not allowed off road in parts of the park(s)?

Alternatively, I might consider the White Rim or The Maze tour but they both look like a ton of fire road riding / climbing.

Formerly of Kent
    With very few exceptions, bikes are not allowed off road in National Parks.

Zion, for example, has no legal mountain bike trails. Or, put another way, has no trails on which mountain bikes are allowed.

It looks like they go from the JEM/Goulds/Virgin Rim area up to Red Canyon/Thunder Mountain.

There is nothing directly in between, to my knowledge, at least not on public land. However, they might head west on UT-14 into the Duck Creek Village/Cedar Breaks/Brian Head area en route. Alternately, they could have an arrangement with the owners of the Zion Ponderosa Ranch, where the 12hrs of Zion is raced.

The Maze and the White Rim are on established "roads" in Canyonlands. The Maze requires a permit, as it has the potential to be a life-ender, should the rider get lost.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

The Maze and the White Rim are on established "roads" in Canyonlands. The Maze requires a permit, as it has the potential to be a life-ender, should the rider get lost.
    This is what I like about the idea of a led / supported trip. The group rides between 15 - 30 miles each day, with a guide, to campsites where the support vehicle is waiting with the camp site all ready to go......food is hot and grilled up and I think they may even set up the tents. I would imagine they also bring spare parts / tires/ tubes, etc.

mtbr member
    If you are concerned I would call Rim for more info. I imagine this isn't a "tour" where you are riding the whole distance from Bryce to Zion. That would be a lot of road riding any way you slice it. They will probably set you up for day rides on VRRT, maybe Navajo Lake loop or Brian Head (ie Bunker Creek to Panguitch) and then Thunder Mtn. To capture the riding park to park aspect maybe they will shuttle you on pavement within the parks, like the descent from the East gate into Zion. There isn't any bike legal singletrack in either park but a pavement shuttle might be worth it for the experience, though it wouldn't be challenging at all. Thunder Mtn and VRRT on the other hand are both fun trails that also have great views.

I'm not really one to sign up for a tour but I look at their itineraries out of interest and they always strike me as really short daily totals, no doubt because they have to account for a huge range of abilities. So I wouldn't expect the difficulty for any of them to be very high unless it specifies expert/advanced skill level - and even then difficulty will relate more to climbing and elevation than technical challenge.

I have not done tours with Rim or any company so all of the above is just speculation. But you can look at other companies like Hermosa, Cogwild or Western Spirit to get a better idea as some of them list daily mileages. And as I said above, call Rim for more info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thank you for the feedback. I definitely plan on calling them but was also hoping to get some candid and honest feedback from anyone that may have ridden with them on this "tour".

It looks like this has some fun trails but I may look at White Rim or The Maze just to get an uninterrupted ride (no van or road time).

mtbr member
    If that has too much van time, trips like the self-guided ones that Hermosa offers might work too. They look to be all singletrack and they are simply there to shuttle your gear from place to place. I don't think they cook for you, but considering their daily mileage isn't very long that should not be a problem.

mtbr member
    If a long fire road uninterrupted ride is what you're looking for, the White Rim Or Maze will be splendid and fulfilling, but if you're interested in some really fun, world class single track (with equally spectacular views), then a trip that includes several shorter rides on theVirgin River Rim Trail, Thunder Mountain, Gooseberry Mesa, JEM, and Hurricane Rim, etc would be my pick.... especially if someone's shuttling me to the beginning of each ride and fixing my dinner, setting up camp, and getting me to the next ride the next day.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-23-2016 at 05:32 PM.