Rigid Friendly trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rigid Friendly trails

What are the closest "rigid friendly" trails from Riverside Oasis campground in Moab? We are headed up for a quick camping trip this weekend (sun-tue actually). Bringing my rigid to tow the baby trailer around some, but if I can sneek away for an hour or two while the baby is napping I'd like to hit something up.

Moab brand trails?
    Klondike Bluffs?
    Gemini bridges?
    Bartlett Wash?

I certainly don't mind some technical sections, but don't wanna get beat up too bad. Don't care to do a ton of climbing, like I said... quick ride, views would be a plus. I may not even bother switching out pedals and bringing my shoes.

PS - I rode slickrock trail earlier this year (on my FS) in case anyone says "you have to ride slickrock"!
    Last edited by cobi; 09-30-2010 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My pops has done klondike bluffs and gemini bridges on his rigid, but he also oldschool and rides everything on his rigid......klondike bluffs is pretty short but has a couple of steep, short uphills but overall is a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    I did Klondike in my old Jeep once, but that was before I biked so I wasn't looking at it like "would this be a fun ride"?

Actually brought a dad and his kid out of the trail, so I did the first few miles twice. Teenager ate it biking and probably had a broken collarbone or arm or some sort of shoulder separation. Poor kid wasn't enjoying the ride in the Jeep.

At this point I'm probably leaning towards Klondike or checking out the brand trails unless someone talks me out of it......

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I feel like I would get beat up on most of the brand trails on a rigid. Pretty bad.

But I feel like I'd probably get beat up on most Moab trails on a rigid. Sovereign? Maybe Bar M?

frejwilk

Moab Rigid

It doesn't sound like you usually ride the rigid bike off road. If that's the case, I'd stay away from slickrock heavy rides like Klondike Bluffs, Rockin' A, or Circle O. Although none of them would rank as difficult Moab rides, many riders find them "rough".

If you just want to get a quick ride in from the campground and don't want it to be too rough, you should head up the nice new paved path to the Bar M area. I'd recommend riding the 'Lazy EZ trail and maybe Bar B trail. I think they are fun riding, have rewarding views, and use a predominantly dirt singletrack tread. It might also be worth your time to return the full way around Bar M to take in the "cliff option" on the north side of the Bar M loop.

That said, if you do usually ride rigid off-road, or are looking for something burlier than Bar M, the Sovereign system would be close (and within riding distance). And any other Moab trail would be work fine. Typically, people riding off road on rigid mtn bikes know their limits pretty well.

FW

mtbr member
    If you are familiar with the Fruita/GJ trails...... I usually ride the rigid on everything at 18rd in Fruita and the easier stuff at Kokopelli's and the lunch loops in GJ.

If I plan to ride the more technical trails (Holy Cross, Horsethief, Ribbon, Gunny, Eagle's Wing/Tail, etc....) I usually take the FS.

PS - I wasn't necessarily planning to ride from the campground although I can if it isn't so far that I'm gonna take up all my time getting there. I just didn't want to spend 30 minutes driving to a trailhead only to get to ride for an hour.
    Last edited by cobi; 10-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Keep in mind, folks were biking in Moab even before front suspension was the norm. But I can understand, it's hard to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    and maybe Bar B trail. I think they are fun riding, have rewarding views, and use a predominantly dirt singletrack tread. It might also be worth your time to return the full way around Bar M to take in the "cliff option" on the north side of the Bar M loop.
    I'd have to disagree on Bar B, I find it quite techy and would prefer not to do it on a rigid. Conversely, I've only done part of Rockin A (I was riding with my 8 year old) but I found it far smoother than Bar B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton
    Keep in mind, folks were biking in Moab even before front suspension was the norm. But I can understand, it's hard to go back.
    I understand I can ride any trail on my rigid. I simply choose not to since I have a perfectly good FS at home. I'm just asking for recommendations on some close by trails that aren't too chunky. I go back and fourth all the time and quite enjoy the different riding styles.

If someone was coming to GJ I certainly wouldn't recommend trails like Free Lunch and Eagle's Wing if they said they were bringing their rigid for a quick ride.

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton
    Yeah, I have heard that. Hard to believe..

It sounds like the OP knows what they're looking for. The trails I mentioned at Bar M would be a very short drive or a reasonable ride.

The Intrepid trail system at Dead Horse Point SP would also be ideal. It is going to have that 30min drive though. Maybe a family outing could be combined with a personal ride out there.

FW

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    The Intrepid trail system at Dead Horse Point SP would also be ideal. It is going to have that 30min drive though. Maybe a family outing could be combined with a personal ride out there.

FW
    I was going to suggest it but the distance from town stopped me. We took the kids on that in the spring and really enjoyed it. My 8 year old rode his own bike, and I towed our 5 year old on his tag-a-long bike. Very nice, easy trail.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info..... unfortunately my ride got rained out Mon evening. Nice dust/rain storm moved in and we ended up stuck in the camper. Oh well, next time.

Members who have read this thread: 0