right of way- Mtbr.com

Thread: right of way

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

right of way

Pushing bike up hill, runner dropping down. Little mtn ridge trail, heading to Burch Springs/Killyons intersection. (One of the latter eroded climbs that kind of is doubletrack like because of erosion.) Anyway, I say "Hi" and the dude drops his shoulder in my direction, hits bike and shakes head and continued on. Kind of strange but made me think about protocol. (Up hill hikeabike vs DH runner)
    Also when biking up Emigration, the hardcore runners vear into traffic and indicate they want me to shoulder it, kind of makes sense because they can see oncoming traffic. The clompers stick to the shoulder and I look over my shoulder and pass in the car lane. What do you think is the safest? I typically wait to see what runner has in mind and just adjust to situation.

mtbr member
    I don't know of any protocol where someone would purposely hit you or jump out into oncoming traffic. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

mtbr member
    I think if you have a bike, no matter if you are hiking it at the moment or not, we have to yield to hikers, runners, and horses regardless of who is going up or downhill.

Obviously if you meet other bikers, uphill always has the right of way.

Since I have been here in Utah for the summer and fall for the first time in over a decade, I have noticed the trails are super crowded and there's a lot of assholes that seem to get mad no matter what and a lot of bikers going downhill think they should have the right of way, but as long as you follow the advice above, you can always tell any asshole to **** themselves and you will know that you are in the right. Basically the etiquette here is as bad as the driving and I don't understand it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    you seem very cool.

Cycologist
    Were you and the runner both sticky to the right side of the trail, so he was passing on your left? Sounds odd.

Where I ride (not Utah) there is a popular bike lane with a good amount of runners that run in the lane (no sidewalk) toward oncoming traffic. Bikes cut into the car lane to pass; their is a curb so no shoulder option. There isn't a whole lot of traffic and speed limit is only 30. In your case, I think it depends on how easy it is to ride on the shoulder; if easy, I'd take the shoulder so they can pass on my left with neither of us going into the car lane. But is this on a road bike and a non-paved shoulder? Then I probably wouldn't. Sounds like you'll need to keep working it out when you see what the runner wants to do; I'd start out far right and see if they line up their far left or move to their right.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Emigration canyon has no real bike lane, no sidewalk, a huge number of road bikers, cars that speed (even with a 40 mph limit) blind corners, and it's in Utah, where no one knows how to drive. It's a bit of a sh*tshow in general.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Emigration canyon has no real bike lane, no sidewalk, a huge number of road bikers, cars that speed (even with a 40 mph limit) blind corners, and it's in Utah, where no one knows how to drive. It's a bit of a sh*tshow in general.
    Doesn't sound like much fun.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Doesn't sound like much fun.
    No. It's ridiculous, but road bikers love the area. I don't have anything against road biking, people can do what they want, but I've also never understood the appeal. Something like biking hut to hut in the Alps? Sure. Biking up and down Emigration canyon...no thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The emigration canyon (road) observation is more of a consistency = safety thing. Typically, I have always passed oncoming foot traffic on the left. I just found it interesting that the “runners” tend to head into oncoming traffic (I pass on right) and the “joggers” hug the shoulder. Guessing the more serious runner is possibly looking to save an ankle roll on the shoulder or can see oncoming traffic and that’s probably better odds then having a cyclist looking over the shoulder and weaving around as they pass? I bike the canyon to get to the trails vs driving, its somewhat enjoyable. It would be terrifying to walk/run it IMO.
    (*Edit, what I call shoulder is probably better known as hinge point or ditch)

Little Mountain Ridge is over grown, in retrospect we met up on a steeper rutted narrow halfpipe, for all I know the guy got sucked into me and braced himself and just shook his head and continued onward. I feel Utah trail ethic is mellow in the areas I ride. Never had any reason to think much about uphill bike pushing/carrying vs downhill running. Hard to envision jogging down that section and having control.
    Last edited by Turd; 06-12-2018 at 08:33 PM.