Riding Thunder Mountain Solo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Riding Thunder Mountain Solo?

I'm flying into Vegas on Sat Oct 6th to meet up with Western Spirit on Oct 8th in St. George to hit Bearclaw Poppy, Jem and Gooseberry. A few years ago I had the opportunity to ride Thunder Mountain and I had a GREAT time. I believe I may be able to squeeze in a Thunder Mountain ride on Sunday Oct 7th but I am not too sure how far (travel time) Thunder Mountain is from St. George. In addition, I am traveling solo (hence the guided tour) and I am concerned regarding the amount of traffic Thunder Mountain will see on a Sunday in October. Any thoughts? Good idea? Bad Idea?
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think the drive is around 2 1/2 to 3 hours or so, it's been awhile. I've ridden it twice and no one was really on it, I just rode the main trail out and back (skip the paved and dirt roads) and saw less then 10 people both ways, both times I've ridden it. I would go for it for sure.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oh and for the trails you mentioned, I would just get a guide book from a local shop in St George and ride them yourself or hook up with a local. I don't think you need a guide service for any of those.

land magnate

Thunder Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    I'm flying into Vegas on Sat Oct 6th to meet up with Western Spirit on Oct 8th in St. George to hit Bearclaw Poppy, Jem and Gooseberry. A few years ago I had the opportunity to ride Thunder Mountain and I had a GREAT time. I believe I may be able to squeeze in a Thunder Mountain ride on Sunday Oct 7th but I am not too sure how far (travel time) Thunder Mountain is from St. George. In addition, I am traveling solo (hence the guided tour) and I am concerned regarding the amount of traffic Thunder Mountain will see on a Sunday in October. Any thoughts? Good idea? Bad Idea?
    Good idea for sure! Western spirit should be able to give you all the trail advice you should need. But stop in at Zion Cycles in Springdale for maps or more advice. Do the ride from the parking lot at red canyon, ride up the road trail that parallels the main highway at the end of the paved road hang a right on the dirt road follow that a few miles to the single track, climb a couple of miles and get ready for a thrilling downhill to the trailhead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    live, love, learn, & balance gravitational alteration along the excursion!

Members who have read this thread: 0