• 03-19-2009
    dirtpunk7
    Riding Thunder Mountain in mid-April
    Doing a full SW Utah mtb trip in mid April. Was hoping to show my buds Thunder Mt. the week of 4/20.
    Has the snow pack been high this year?
    Utahmtbing.com says mid April is all good but I know it depends upon the season's snow level.
    Also, if you had a choice between the JEM trail and the Zen trail, what would be your choice?
    Lookin' forward to it!
    Thanks for any help!
  • 03-19-2009
    rockman
    The nearest snotel site still has 11 inches of snow on the ground at 8900'.
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/slc/current/meso.swut.php

The top of Thunder Mountain is ~8000' so it might be a go by mid April. However, the storm forecasted for Sun-Mon may put the kabosh on that. The clay tread is not to be trifled with when wet.
  • 03-19-2009
    shelbster15
    Last year it wasnt snow free till first week of may, I would imagine it would be 90% clear and have some good snow drifts in the shady areas. Last year was a good snow year too, so you might be safe. If there still is snow you could ride the rich/cassidey trail accross the canyon it faces south so less snow.

Jem is a fun fast flowy xc trail that isnt to technical.
    Zen is more technical trail to ride maybe more All mountain, but both very fun to ride for the first time, just depends on what style of riding you would like.

jem is 12 miles and zen is like 6 or 7 i believe.
  • 03-20-2009
    dirtpunk7
    Thanks for the input guys. I would not want to damage the trail if it was wet. Sounds like it will be a game time decision when we get there.
    Both the JEM and Zen seem to be good rides...I'll plan on doing both.
  • 03-21-2009
    jbone ll
    yeah, thanks for the info. We'll be there the week before (have never been) so the more info the better
  • 03-28-2009
    shelbster15
    Drove by thunder Mountain today, the snow is melting pretty fast and not much snow on the ground at the bottem. I would imagine just the large drifts are left over in those drainages at the top and the north facing switchbacks after the fin.. If the warm weather keeps up it should be good in just a couple weeks
  • 04-14-2009
    dirtpunk7
    Any new info on Thunder Mt? Will be there next week and wondering(hoping) if it will be ridable.
    Would Cassidy be better since it has more southern exposure for the sun?
  • 04-14-2009
    jwhite7749
    Rode it on Sunday. Lots of snow banks on the north facing parts of the trail. The first 3 miles of the trail was alternating snow (on N) and clear (on more south-facing). Some of the drifts were at least 2 feet deep. Lots of walking and a fair amount of mud. Would have been better if I had hit it in the morning when it was more frozen.

Lower section was in fairly good shape - a lot less snow and mud that ought to clear up in a week or so if weather is dry.
  • 04-14-2009
    dirtpunk7
    Thanks jwhite! Sounds like a out and back from the bottom TH might be the ticket. We will try to ride in the early morning when it is frozen.
  • 04-14-2009
    shelbster15
    Yes cassidy/rich trail would be more dry. It's mostly snow free out there just shady areas but storm is rolling in tonight and tomorrow most likely with snow.
  • 04-15-2009
    crashtestdummy
    We got 2 inches of snow in Cedar today, so the trails will need a while to dry out.
  • 04-16-2009
    dirtpunk7
    Thanks Crash!
    Looks like it will snowing through tomorrow up there. Wondering if there will still be snow by mid next week.
    Should we try to ride late next week or should we bag it and hit Moab for a couple of days instead?
    I don't want to damage the trails or get up there and realize that we can only ride a mile or two.
    Looking for some local advice.
    Would you ride up there next week(thu/fri) with a clear conscience?

Any input is appreciated!
  • 04-16-2009
    crashtestdummy
    We got about 4 inches of snow last night in Cedar. The forecast looks like it's going to be warming up next week, starting this coming Saturday. I can't say what the trail conditions will be, but it has been ridden this spring already as noted here.
  • 04-16-2009
    jwhite7749
    You won't do much damage if you stay on trail. Its a popular horse trail, and they have been up already. Just a question of how much off-saddle you want. For me, it was worth the 3+ miles of walking - the most scenic trail in S. Utah IMO. Stop by or call the Red Canyon ranger station and they may have more up-to-date info on conditions, its a half a mile up the road from the bottom of Thunder - they also have a free trail map.

I wouldn't worry the recent new snow - we were at Bryce one sunny day after a 2-3 inch snowfall and it was almost all gone - its the drifts that will take longer.
  • 04-16-2009
    shelbster15
    I hate those horses! Sorry but they thrashed out losee and parts of Thunder which is just sad.
  • 04-19-2009
    dirtyhabit
    A few of us will be in the area on Monday and was hoping to ride Thunder, does anybody have any conditions info from riding there this weekend?
    Thanks
  • 04-19-2009
    SlowerThenSnot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtyhabit
    A few of us will be in the area on Monday and was hoping to ride Thunder, does anybody have any conditions info from riding there this weekend?
    Thanks

still might be iffy....
  • 04-19-2009
    shelbster15
    There are people riding it.....but IMHO I don't think it would be fun because there should be a lot of drifts left behined on north facing slopes. Most likely near the top and all of the switchback heading off. However I rode up Cassidey Trail today on the opposite side of the canyon and It was a blast. There was no snow drifts and you might even notice the handful of little booters that got made today.
  • 04-20-2009
    tmeyer
    Friend rode it this weekend, said it is good to go, few very SMALL wet spots.....
  • 04-21-2009
    dfo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tmeyer
    Friend rode it this weekend, said it is good to go, few very SMALL wet spots.....

Rode Thunder Mtn or Cassidy?
  • 04-21-2009
    tmeyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dfo
    Rode Thunder Mtn or Cassidy?

Sorry, thunder.
  • 04-27-2009
    dirtpunk7
    Rode Thunder last Wednesday and it was nearly completely clear and ridable. Trail was hard packed and there were very few small wet spots left. By now I would think that is all dry.