Riding in Park City area tomorrow - any advice or recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding in Park City area tomorrow - any advice or recommendations?

Hi all!

Visiting from Norcal and I've got a day to burn riding in PC area tomorrow (Friday 7/21) and would like to make the most of it. I ride in Northern UT almost every year and have done PCMR, Sundance, Corner Canyon, trails above U of U, Dutch Canyon, and some other stuff that I can't really remember the name - pretty much all the riding has been fun but i probably wouldn't go back to Sundance. I actually had a lot of fun before taking a trail bike on the PCMR lifts and just riding the XC instead of DH trails.

I'm a fairly advanced rider and like all types of riding, but my favorite is probably good ol' fashion techy stuff. I don't mind pedaling and earning turns, but like the idea of lifts, shuttles, or using the local public trans to extend my day before my legs give up. Also, I will need to rent a trail bike (prefer a FS somewhere in the 4-6" travel range).

Based on conditions and the scene up there right, can somebody make a recommendation in the right direction for where to rent and ride, or even better if there are any locals who want to ride, lunch and beers on me! And of course always happy to guide / give info on Santa Cruz / Sierras / etc. trails.

My default will probably be PCMR and the XC trails that branch from there unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks so much!

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    Lift day @Deer Valley.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thanks Walt! You are a wealth of knowledge and have given me great advice before! Any recs on where to rent? If I recall, Deer Valley rents Scott and while I am typically not super picky on gear and like most bikes I have ridden, I have ridden enough Scotts to know that they are not my favorite bikes when it comes to fit and suspension performance, but I would be fine on one if that is my best option. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    White Pine Touring has Specialized and Rocky Mountain for their high end rentals. Jan's also has Santa Cruz. Storm Cycles, at the junction, has Pivot, Trek and Yeti. In Salt Lake City, you can get rentals at Go-Ride cheaper, I'd guess, but less convenient. And if you're driving in from the west, you can stop off at the Competitive Cyclist warehouse out by the airport and rent demos.
    Holy Roller was completed this year at Deer Valley. It's beginner oriented, but still fun and was in good shape the last I checked. Tidal Wave has been "rode hard and put away dry" so the last time I was on it, it was a bit beat up. There's a new expert flow trail that is partially open that may be in great shape, since it's new. Some of the old standbys like Twist and Shout are down and dirty, which is as it should be!
    If you like techy, I just don't think you can beat going up Sweeny's, John's, Gravedigger, etc. and of course, the Crest is in great shape.
    MM is usually crowded, of course, but I was up there this morning at 9 AM and there were only a few others out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    White Pine Touring has Specialized and Rocky Mountain for their high end rentals. Jan's also has Santa Cruz. Storm Cycles, at the junction, has Pivot, Trek and Yeti. In Salt Lake City, you can get rentals at Go-Ride cheaper, I'd guess, but less convenient. And if you're driving in from the west, you can stop off at the Competitive Cyclist warehouse out by the airport and rent demos.
    Holy Roller was completed this year at Deer Valley. It's beginner oriented, but still fun and was in good shape the last I checked. Tidal Wave has been "rode hard and put away dry" so the last time I was on it, it was a bit beat up. There's a new expert flow trail that is partially open that may be in great shape, since it's new. Some of the old standbys like Twist and Shout are down and dirty, which is as it should be!
    If you like techy, I just don't think you can beat going up Sweeny's, John's, Gravedigger, etc. and of course, the Crest is in great shape.
    MM is usually crowded, of course, but I was up there this morning at 9 AM and there were only a few others out there.
    Thanks