Riding near St. George this weekend, 12/11-12/12- Mtbr.com
    jae
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Riding near St. George this weekend, 12/11-12/12

Hi-

I plan drive to the St. George area from Phoenix for some riding, starting this Saturday. A couple of years ago, I rode Gooseberry Mesa and the J.E.M. trail. I recall that both were fun rides, and I'd like to do them both, again. Any other ride suggestions in the area? Anybody interested in joining me? I'll likely leave very early Saturday morning, to arrive in St. George around noon and get some riding in Saturday, Sunday, and possibly Monday. I'm bringing my Super-Moto to play on Gooseberry Mesa, and maybe the SS, too.

The weather forecast is currently calling for 60-62 degrees in St. George over the weekend. How cold do you figure it will be on top of Gooseberry Mesa? My blood is thin, but so long as it's at least the low 50s, I should be okay.

If anybody has ride recommendations and/or would like to hook up for a ride, please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    You've picked a good weekend, it should be perfect there. Gooseberry will be fine temperature wise, it won't get too cold on the mesa if the warm forecast holds.

Jem and Gooseberry are two of the best rides, also recommended are Rockville Bench and Green Valley.

You can do the JEM as a loop ride now, the Gould's trail and Hurricane Rim allow you to make it a 20-25 mile sweet loop. See www.utahmountainbiking.com for trail details. Have Fun.

mtbr member
    Jae and other St. George locals, how were the trails down in St. George? Looks like it was a perfect weekend.

I am thinking of going there this weekend (12/17-12/19).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
    ...how were the trails down in St. George? Looks like it was a perfect weekend.
    You couldn't have asked for better weather. Some of the trails were still a little tacky (Green Valley and JEM) but by this next weekend everything should've dryed out and be in mint condition. Even if we do get more rain (not forecasted) there are plenty of trails that ride beautifully when wet. Gooseberry, Church Rocks, City Creek, and the Rockville Bench to name a few.

On a side note we went out to Little Creek two weekends ago, high 30's, and there were patches of ice all over the trail. I imagine that those have melted by now, but whether or not it has dried up I couldn't tell you. Regardless, I wouldn't want to ride that trail muddy.

mtbr member
    Shannon, you should check the temps before you make your plans. It was about 15 degrees above normal for the whole state last weekend, and it looks to be much colder down there this weekend. My buddy did little creek and gooseberry last weekend and said they were both great. Little Creek was a muddy in places, but they were able to explore quite a bit.

mtbr member
    I take that back, the forecast looks great. The updated forecast looks perfect, get the heck down there!

Team Sanchez
    Shannon,

Let us know if you'll be down this weekend. We usually do a nice long Saturday ride. Feel free to join us. PM me if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a nice weekend coming up!

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm dropping my husband off at the airport on Friday then heading down afterwards. My friends should already have camp set up by the time I arrive.
    They were planning Stucki Springs and then Prospector Trail/Church Loop for Saturday.
    Then the Gould's Rim Loop for Sunday before we go home.

El Chingon, which ride are you planning for Sat.?

Team Sanchez
    Not real sure yet. Most likely Gooseberry mesa, or something over near Zion. I need to check with my buds to see what they want to ride. I'll post later this week.

jae
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon-UT
    Jae and other St. George locals, how were the trails down in St. George? Looks like it was a perfect weekend.

I am thinking of going there this weekend (12/17-12/19).
    It was definitely a great weekend! I drove up on Saturday and arrived in time to spend a couple of hours on Gooseberry Mesa, riding the South Rim trail to the point and also riding Hidden Canyon. I headed to Gooseberry Mesa again on Sunday, for a bit longer ride. Trail conditions up top were almost perfect. It was a bit wet in spots, but nothing too bad. Temperature wise, it was warm enough that I felt okay in shorts, and there was no real wind.

Yesterday, I rode a slightly modified version of "the loop." I started at the lower JEM trailhead, hooked up with the Hurricane Rim trail off of JEM, then Gould's Rim trail, followed by the run down JEM. That made for a ride of about 24 miles. The Hurricane Rim trail was a real treat. JEM was a bit wet up top, tacky and post holed in the middle, but the ending was great. Gould's Rim, on the other hand, really left me dissapointed. The trail wasn't muddy or tacky so much as just soft and loamy. It generally sucked, particularly the singletrack after the corral. If I had it to do again, I would find a way to avoid the Gould's Rim trail, probably by doing Hurricane Rim as an out-and-back and riding the dirt roads to get to the upper JEM trailhead for that descent.

I'm looking forward to spending a couple of days there again come summer. Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Not real sure yet. Most likely Gooseberry mesa, or something over near Zion. I need to check with my buds to see what they want to ride. I'll post later this week.

I am contemplating heading down to there this weekend (18th) solo. Like to ride with some other folks if anyone is interested. Usually ride the trails in the Zion area, pretty much up for anything though. Probably be camping at the BLM site on the Virgin. PM me if anyone wants to ride or doesn’t mind me tagging along.

Team Sanchez
    Everyone I usually ride with is out for tomorrow, so looks like I'll be heading out to Gooseberry on my own. I'll be there at about 9:00am if anyone wants to join me. I'll be riding a rootbeer Heckler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Some of the trails were still a little tacky (Green Valley and JEM) but by this next weekend everything should've dryed out and be in mint condition.
    Shannon, so much for "mint" conditions . Hope you guys survived the mud down to Clavicle. Was Stucki any drier? Let us know next time you're heading down.

mtbr member
    I met El Chingon and Crash the Dog this weekend!

It was nice to meet you guys, even if it was brief! I'll have to get in touch next time we are heading that way.

We did not do Stucki and did Bearclaw Poppy instead. It was so muddy, my bike and I were completely covered with mud. I couldn't shift gears and couldn't clip in any longer. We'd get mud all over our butt and then sit down in the saddle - it felt like poopy diapers! But luckily there was a hose and spigot at our camp site and the bikes cleaned up nicely once we got back to camp. But it looks like a very fun trail when conditions are more favorable.

We had to go through a neighborhood on that Bearclaw Poppy ride. I wish I had brought a leash for my dog. I was a bit nervous with her on the road, but she did an excellent job and teaching her the SIDE command paid off.

Then we did the Propector Trail to Church Rocks loop from our campsite in the afternoon. That was scenice but a little pocked marked up from the horses or cows. I desparately needed a FS on that trail, my body was a bit beat up.

Then on Sunday, we skipped the Gould's/JEM/Hurrrican rim trails thinking they were mudding (and we wanted to ride early) and did the Cholla race course. That was fun. My friends did the Turtle Wall? but I opted to get a start on the drive home.
    Last edited by Shannon-UT; 12-20-2004 at 10:04 AM.