Riding in or near Joe's Valley?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Riding in or near Joe's Valley?

Meeting some non-riding friends there in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone knew of any quick rides in the area. I know of trails created by climbers, but they're probably fairly short, considering how anti-hiking most boulderers are. I suppose if I had to characterize the type of riding I'm looking for, it would be All-mountain--some drops, technical singletrack--but I'll take anything and be happy. Thanks.

mtbr member

If you find anything, report back!

As you noted, Joe's valley is popular with boulderers, but also with ATV's and horses. There are several ATV routes/loops that start from Joe's Valley. I don't have any experience with them but I doubt they would offer anything like what you are looking for. However, of these, Reeder canyon trail would probably be the most promising. Look for a large ATV staging area on the northwest side of the reservoir. The only non-motorized (singletrack) trail in the area I'm familiar with is the Josephite point trail. It runs between Pete's hole reservoir and Mary's Lake (about 8 miles each way) passing several small lakes and streams along the way, with a nice view of Joe's Valley midroute. It's high though, about 9000 feet elevation. I doubt it would be clear in a couple of weeks. For that matter, Joe's Valley is at 7000 feet and might still have some snow in spots. Pete's hole is about 9 miles east of Joe's Valley, but if the road is wet, don't bother. It's clay and you'll be stuck for sure.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That trail sounds quit nice, actually. A bit tame, maybe? Being dry sounds doubtful. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member

Yeah, fairly tame...

...but primitive. The trail spends about half the time in the trees, the rest crossing meadows. It's not too hard to follow in the trees, except for all the deadfall. A lot of the meadows look like this:meadow.jpg

The trail runs right through the center of the picture, but it's tough to see even in real life.

One of several lakes the trail passes by. I lost count, but I think there were five:lake.jpg

Another meadow:rider.jpg

Joe's Valley overlook:joesvalley.jpg

In the trees there are a few places with some rocks you can catch air on, some unimproved water crossings, but for the most part the trail isn't overly technical. It is very lightly traveled, could be a long time before you would see anybody else.

mtbr member

If your looking for a quick ride....

the climb up to Pete's Hole (with the atv trail thrown in instead of the road) and the fine singletrack back towards Joe's Valley Reservoir will take the better part of 4 hours. Or more. The loop is almost 30 miles. My average speed was 8 mph or so. It's a good one and no doubt you won't see any other bikers. Much of the trail is on the north side of the bluff/plateau but it's been a low snow year so maybe it'll be a go in another couple of weeks.

Members who have read this thread: 0