Riding Near Hill Air Force Base?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Riding Near Hill Air Force Base?

I just came to Hill AFB and am looking for some trail (tour) guides. Any takers? Seriosly, what kind of riding can I find in the Hill AFB area? I hear that the riding is good, but haven't had a chance to look for any yet. Plus, my bikes are still somewhere between Japan and here.

Thanks,

Chris

SXtreem now
    what kind of ridding you into? drive about 30min south to the SLC area and there is just about any kind of ridding you want.

Jan 2004

Riding Style

Quote Originally Posted by RMXtreem
    what kind of ridding you into? drive about 30min south to the SLC area and there is just about any kind of ridding you want.
    I'm pretty much a pleasure XC rider. My XC bike is a 2001 SC Superlight. I enjoy a good single track as well as fire roads and the like. Like most others, I would rather go down a mountain vs. climb up it, but I know there is no such thing as an all downhill trail.

I also like to do the gondola assisted uphill and gravity assisted downhill runs. I have a 1998 SC Super8 for this kind of stuff.

I'm a little on the old side, 43, so I don't get too carried away with my riding any more. I don't heal as fast as I used to.

Chris

Brass Nipples!

Check with the medical unit at Hill.

The ones in charge of physical therapy, base enviromental issues, etc. There are several riders in that group. I did a big road ride last fall with a couple of them. Some ride mostly road, but at least dabble in MTB. They're arranging a White Rim trip in Canyonlands this spring.

Antelope Island is farily low elevation and may be open this winter. Most of the "mountain" rides will be snow covered currently. Once the snow melts, you'll have a lot of options. One fairly local ride would be Mueller Park in Bountiful.

And don't forget Moab and St. George some time while you're stationed at Hill. They're best for late fall through early spring riding.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

The Sentinel

Welcome to Northern Utah

Hey...welcome to the area. I'm up in Tremonton, about 45 miles north of you. I'm a slow, older (43 in June) rider, and I do a lot of riding in the Ogden area. I like to ride for fun...I'm too fat to race. And I love all-mountain riding.

There is an amazing wealth of great trails right in our backyard. Unfortunately, most of them are covered in snow right now. Early season trails are kind of limited to Farmington Bay, Willard Bay, Antelope Island and the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. As the snow melts out, some of my favorite XC rides are the Maples loop (and all of it's associated sub-loops), Skyline Trail, and Mueller Park (Bountiful). We even have some tasty lift-serviced singletrack at Snowbasin ski resort. There is also a lot of great singletrack and fire road riding up in Logan.

I've been trying to get a group of ...uhm...older and slower guys together to ride for some time. As the snow melts out, I'll be beating the bushes here and at Utah Mountain Biking to get a riding group together. If you don't mind riding with a slow guy, I'd be happy to show you around. You can just pm me here; I check it every day. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by CruzinJapan
    I'm pretty much a pleasure XC rider. My XC bike is a 2001 SC Superlight. I enjoy a good single track as well as fire roads and the like. Like most others, I would rather go down a mountain vs. climb up it, but I know there is no such thing as an all downhill trail.

I also like to do the gondola assisted uphill and gravity assisted downhill runs. I have a 1998 SC Super8 for this kind of stuff.

I'm a little on the old side, 43, so I don't get too carried away with my riding any more. I don't heal as fast as I used to.

Chris
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Jan 2004

Old and Slow Riders . . .

I'm in there. I too have a little too much around the midsection to do any kind of racing. I can't do the road bike thing since the gut seems to interfere with the full movement of my legs.

My bikes arrive tomorrow along with the other 10,000 pounds of furniture, etc. Give a few days to get the house in order, and I'll be ready to hit some lower elevation trails.

Thanks for the info.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker62
    Hey...welcome to the area. I'm up in Tremonton, about 45 miles north of you. I'm a slow, older (43 in June) rider, and I do a lot of riding in the Ogden area. I like to ride for fun...I'm too fat to race. And I love all-mountain riding.

There is an amazing wealth of great trails right in our backyard. Unfortunately, most of them are covered in snow right now. Early season trails are kind of limited to Farmington Bay, Willard Bay, Antelope Island and the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. As the snow melts out, some of my favorite XC rides are the Maples loop (and all of it's associated sub-loops), Skyline Trail, and Mueller Park (Bountiful). We even have some tasty lift-serviced singletrack at Snowbasin ski resort. There is also a lot of great singletrack and fire road riding up in Logan.

I've been trying to get a group of ...uhm...older and slower guys together to ride for some time. As the snow melts out, I'll be beating the bushes here and at Utah Mountain Biking to get a riding group together. If you don't mind riding with a slow guy, I'd be happy to show you around. You can just pm me here; I check it every day. Welcome to the neighborhood.

The Sentinel

I need a few weeks myself...

Both of my bikes are in pieces all over the basement. I'm doing the annual overhauls, and I'm waiting for some parts and some time to put them together. It'll probably be a couple of weeks (depending on backorders for new parts) before I'm up and running again anyway, so just let me know when you're ready, and we'll try to get together. In the meantime, you could check with the guys at Bingham's Cyclery in Sunset. They're just outside your front door, and can point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by CruzinJapan
    My bikes arrive tomorrow along with the other 10,000 pounds of furniture, etc. Give a few days to get the house in order, and I'll be ready to hit some lower elevation trails.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell