Riding near downtown- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding near downtown

I'm going to be staying in a hotel downtown for work and have all day off on Monday. I brought my gear and I'm renting a rig. I don't have a car so I'm hoping to ride close to downtown or take a bus to distant trails. What are some single track trails I can access from the area? I prefer trails that will be fun on a 140-160 mm bike with some chunk. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Down load the trail forks app and hit up the bobsled! Can ride to the trailhead (dry creek) from down town.

Frame Building Moderator
    There is limited chunk and the lifts are done spinning on weekdays for the year, so your best bet is the bobsled - which is by no means a freeride trail, but is certainly fun on a 150mm bike (also fun on a rigid bike, to be fair).

Otherwise, pickings are slim near downtown. The Red Butte alternate section of BST is very chunky and fun, but it's only about 1.5 miles total (half climbing, half desending). You can find some gnar on the slopes of Mt. Van Cott, too, but most people aren't willing to suffer their way up - and it's fall-line trail going down, so the fun is over quick (hour of climbing/pushing for 5 min of descending?)

I'd see if you can get an XC bike instead and ride the BST and maybe get down to Corner canyon. That will be a better use of your time and more fun, probably.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I'm renting a Kona Process today from Wild Rose. I'll let you know what I end up getting into.

Frame Building Moderator
    Yeah, that is about 5x too much bike for anything you will find near downtown. Still, mountain biking is fun pretty much no matter what. Enjoy it!

-Walt

mtbr member
    https://www.strava.com/activities/397406838
    This is what I got myself into. Met a local dude who showed me around a bit. That was fun but that Process was a bit overkill as stated above. Anytime I'm riding bikes and not at work, I'll chalk up as a good time. Thanks for the input.

Frame Building Moderator
    Looks like a great ride to me, and yes, riding and not working is a win no matter what bike you're on!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, can Bonneville Shoreline/Bobsled be ridden towards the end of November?

Sorry, not trying to jack this thread... thanks.

Frame Building Moderator
    Usually, no. Last few years, heck yes. I think last year it was rideable at least a few days every month of the winter.

Really fun in snow too, even if you don't have a fatbike, since it gets packed down nicely by hikers and runners right away.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks. Makes me wish I kept my studded tires I used while in Alaska. Well if I can't ride it, at least I will be able to run it...

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by mevadus View Post
    Cool, thanks. Makes me wish I kept my studded tires I used while in Alaska. Well if I can't ride it, at least I will be able to run it...
    If there's snow just mount the biggest tires you can fit and drop your pressure. It's not especially icy most of the time so studs aren't as helpful as a large footprint. With my 2.4 tires I can ride hiker-packed trails without much trouble except for very steep uphills.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Frame Building Moderator
    Yeah, basically all of BST is rideable when there's packed snow, on any mountain bike you want. Problem is most of it faces south so it tends to get muddy in a hurry after storms.

-Walt