• 01-21-2009
    NAUBoone
    Riding and living in SLC. Recommendations???
    Hey everybody, I am in my last year of nursing school here in AZ and in a year's time I will be relocating to whichever city/hospital I decide on. I am looking very seriously at SLC and more specifically working at University of Utah's University Hospital (excellent new grad programs). I am interested in the area for specific job opportunities, all the amenities of a major city, and the reputation for epic mt biking, hiking, and snowsports.
    What I am really interested in are the logistics of living in the area. Is north-eastern SLC a nice area to try and live? The main aspects that I give weight to are proximity to the hospital, proximity and ease of access to awesome riding (and the mountains during the winter), and overall feel and atmosphere of the "neighborhood". So considering those things, what are the local's thoughts on the best areas to consider?

FYI I'm a young 20-something white male, so don't want to live in suburbia with a bunch of families.
    What's the single 20-something outdoorsy female scene like?

Any input is much appreciated.
  • 01-21-2009
    skyhogg
    Good:

SLC is among the best places to live if you're into anything outdoors, including riding. There is an amazing variety of riding (including several great urban rides) within 20-30 minutes of the city. You also have arguably the best skiing in the U.S and great hiking opportunities. There are excellent restaurants here, a top symphony, ballet, and opera company. There are great alternative options for theaters and a good music scene (you may have to check out the underground scene a bit). All in all it's a nice place to live.

Bad:

If it weren't for the outdoor opportunities (especially riding), I would have left here long ago. It is not a very diverse population, and although they are fairly nice, I find it boring. There is an element of the population here that is fairly intolerant of progressive thinking. If you are not conservative and religious (I'll let you guess which one), you will feel very out of place here and will be in the minority, SLC itself is becoming much more diverse but the state government and policies are still extremely conservative (reddest state in the nation).

We are also going through some significant growing pains with increasingly bad traffic, worsening crime rates, and terrible air quality (today we were listed as having the worst air quality in the entire nation). We do have a great mayor who is trying to address these issues. The liquor laws can only be described as stupid. Same goes for most of the legislature

The niegborhoods on the east side are nice but they're very pricey. Houses will start in the $350 range there. Closer to the city you can get going for around $250 ish. Condos are a little less. The social scene is iffy compared to other cities but you can find plenty of places to hang. LOTS of families. LOTS of stripmalls, LOTS of sprawl...

Thats my take. My bad might be a positive for you so its all relative...either way we need good riding advocates here...
  • 01-21-2009
    NAUBoone
    Well, everything you mentioned is pretty consistent with what I have heard, but I had no idea Utah was the reddest state, nor that there was such bad pollution in the city.
    So really, as a liberal, not-particularly-religious individual will I actually be that much of an outcast in SLC? I've heard there is more and more diversifying within the city.
    And BTW, your bads are definitely bads for me too.
    But given all of that, does the quality of outdoor activity make up for all of the bad enough to really make it a worthwhile place to seriously consider?
  • 01-21-2009
    skyhogg
    We need more progressive thinkers here so welcome...

Ya seriously the consistently reddest state. Wyoming went more Repub. this election but its the first time in awhile. GWB still had over 60% approval rating here as recently as 6 months ago. So ya...very red. Extremeley red.

That said, SLC is about 40-60 conservative-liberal. We have had a Dem mayor and Dem rep in DC for as far back as I can recall. We have actually fallen below 50% mormon too so yes, SLC is more like a real city in a real state. There are plenty of opportunities to hang out with cool people who have an open mind, you just have to look a little. It really only affects me when I read the paper, otherwise the culture here is something you just deal with.

The pollution can be HORRIBLE. Mostly in winter but now even in summer. We are in a big bowl so when a high pressure builds up we have stagnated air that is unbelievable. I live less that 2 miles from the mountainside and I cant see them right now.

The politicians here are basackwards on policies of growth, transportation, sprawl, etc which hasn't helped but like I said we have a great mayor so...

You wont be an outcast. Great group of outdoor people and fun underground (albeit small) club and bar scene. You just let the stupidity roll off your back and go ride. For the most part, I'd deal with the idiodic politics and jell-o culture in exchange for the riding and skiing here anyday. I dont care about the bar scene so much but when I did, I didn't have any problems.

If you really do move here send me a PM and I'll give you a little survival guide to the place.
  • 01-21-2009
    JosephSmith
    FUUUUCK that. The fact that all of the liberal progressive retards are scared of the 'Mormans' make this a GREAT place to live.

look at how bad they have cuunted up Calfornia, you get my point

(oh and BTW the riding scene actually is sort of pathetic compared to other places.)
  • 01-22-2009
    tmeyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephSmith
    FUUUUCK that. The fact that all of the liberal progressive retards are scared of the 'Mormans' make this a GREAT place to live.

look at how bad they have cuunted up Calfornia, you get my point

(oh and BTW the riding scene actually is sort of pathetic compared to other places.)

Thanks for the insightful post! Now please go away.

So, I was in the same boat 6 months ago. GF applied to Grad school at the U and got an offer she couldn't refuse. I am from Vermont and we were still living there at the time. The thought of living in the most conservative state in the nation freaked me out but I love the outdoors so we went for it. We bought a house in sugarhouse and got a good deal. The East bench (where you mentioned) is very nice but very pricey. Your super close to trail but further from restaurants etc. Great spot to live if your working at the hospital though.

Air is horrible and is def what will drive me out of here eventually. I work up in Park City so it's nice to escape it every day.

Religion- Yup, it's a bit strange but overall I don't see a huge impact on my day to day life and have yet to have anyone ask me to accompany them on sunday. I ride with some LDS dudes and they are totally chill, could care less if I drop an f bomb or drink a beer after a ride, they just drink Gatorade.

Riding is real good. You need to get out of the city canyons to find the good stuff (at least I think so) Gravity scene is a bit weak but it's growing and there are a bunch of really dedicated guys from WAFTA that are pushing things in the right direction. Ironically, MTB's are still the hated group here. Forest Service barely recognizes us as a legit recreational user group and people on trails give you TERRIBLE looks even if you almost come to a complete stop when going by. I hate that but people get over it.

Good luck in your decision. Overall, a great place to live but I will not be here permanently or raise a family here. Back east for me in a few years!
  • 01-22-2009
    Summit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NAUBoone
    Well, everything you mentioned is pretty consistent with what I have heard, but I had no idea Utah was the reddest state, nor that there was such bad pollution in the city.
    So really, as a liberal, not-particularly-religious individual will I actually be that much of an outcast in SLC? I've heard there is more and more diversifying within the city.
    And BTW, your bads are definitely bads for me too.
    But given all of that, does the quality of outdoor activity make up for all of the bad enough to really make it a worthwhile place to seriously consider?

Skyhogg covered it pretty well. The inversions we get in mid-winter under high pressure systems really trap the bad air and it is far worse than anything I ever saw living in LA for 5 years. However it seems that the mayor and a few people in govt are finally giving the issue some attention.

There is a cultural adjustment living in Utah, for sure. It's wierd. But like the prophet JosephSmith here said, it's also a blessing by keeping the hordes at bay. Otherwise Utah would be more overcrowded than the CO front range.

As far as your original question, my wife did med school at the U and is now heading back for a fellowship. We live in the University district, just down the hill from the stadium. It's a great spot since she is less than 2 miles to the hospital, straight shot on surface streets, and we are just off Foothill which feeds you easily down to the mountain canyons - Parley's, Mill Creek, BCC, LCC. It's 35 minutes from my house to Snowbird. 25 minutes to the Park City exit (Kimball Junction). We're 2 blocks from the light rail, which is really nice for a quick trip downtown/if you're going out drinking. And I can ride my bike from my house and be on great local trails in 15 minutes of pedaling.

As far as bars, yes the liquor laws are stupid but looks like the whole private club membership thing is about to get nuked. Thank goodness.

Anyway, neighborhoods I'd look at if you want to be close to downtown are the Avenues and the University District. Maybe Marmalade as well, which is kinda north/northwest of downtown. It's a bit further from the canyons though. Sugar House is expensive and stupid trendy. The western edge of Sugar House is a bit more chill and cheaper, I have a lot of friends who live down there (2100 South/500 East -ish) who fondly refer to it as Sugar Hood. If you want to be fairly close to downtown I wouldn't live further south than that. If you want super fast access to the canyons, look further south/east like Mill Creek, Cottonwood Heights, and Sandy.

Good luck with the move! The U hospital is awesome.
  • 01-22-2009
    Colonel Flagg
    Salt Lake City itself is more liberal than conservative (Obama won Salt Lake County). The north-east part of the city, near the University is nice. I think you would like it there.
    The riding/skiing is great.
  • 01-22-2009
    JosephSmith
    Lets hope that Utah never gets a liberal majority. Seriously, if there is an example of the failure of progressive liberalism look at California. They have the highest taxes in the union, yet they are going bankrupt next week. You think that is a coincidence?
  • 01-22-2009
    Colonel Flagg
    Sounds like Joe needs to start his own country......oh wait, he already tried that.
  • 01-22-2009
    skyhogg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephSmith
    Lets hope that Utah never gets a liberal majority. Seriously, if there is an example of the failure of progressive liberalism look at California. They have the highest taxes in the union, yet they are going bankrupt next week. You think that is a coincidence?

I await with great eagerness the next insight about liberalism and California. Seriously dude, you are so clever and smart. Still waiting for an incredibly articulate smack at Obama, alternative energy, or weenie foreign policy... Keep em comin
  • 01-22-2009
    JosephSmith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skyhogg
    I await with great eagerness the next insight about liberalism and California. Seriously dude, you are so clever and smart. Still waiting for an incredibly articulate smack at Obama, alternative energy, or weenie foreign policy... Keep em comin

No, no, no, no ,no no.... you got me all wrong. The reason that Utah is such a great place for progressive/liberals to live is because they can live here, feel like a minority (which is important) and be outraged about the 'conservative establishment' (equally important), yet they don't have to live with the consequences of their twisted belief system, (like California). You see, it is the best of both worlds, but only as long as they don't become the majority thereby ruining it for the liberals who are already here. That is the paradox you see....
  • 01-23-2009
    Joss DeWaele
    Move to Utah; get to know Joseph Smith!