Riding with Dogs and SLC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding with Dogs and SLC

hello everyone.

couple questions that i'd appreciate some feedback on....from those of you that live in SLC..

my wife, 2 dogs and i are looking to relocate back to a city setting. currently we live in the Sun Valley, ID area. resort living is strange. it's not for us. this area is awesome...just sucks that hollywood and the resort are in this wonderful valley....and, it's more complicated than that...but, we just feel like a city setting suits us better..

with that said...

we're learning about SLC some. we actually just got back from a trip down there. perfect time with the storms that rolled through. so, we go to ride/ski in some utah powder..

we made it to the UofU area...9th and 9th...harvard/yale...sugarhouse....very nice neighborhoods...beautiful homes....we love brick...love the different districts with restaurants, etc...

so, what's the riding like around the city....how extensive is the trail system (bonneville), etc...in the foothills behind the UofU area, etc....

are dogs welcome/permitted on trails anywhere...or are the trails just too crowded to have off leash dogs out with you. we have 2 vizslas...that are our kids, basically. we do everything with them.

one other note...prior to moving to SV....we lived in boise. the foothills trails there aren't too exciting..but, there is plenty of mileage to ride....you can get away after a little riding..and the dogs are welcome most everywhere...

salt lake is big...but, that might be cool for us....but, we don't know...we're originally from South Carolina....from a city about the same size as boise...we've grown to love the lack of crowds in idaho....

and, the sking/boarding opportunities....both area and backcountry are very appealing to us in SLC....again...the snow there is unbelievable....

however...if sharing trail riding with dogs is tough there....the everyday/after work rides around the city....that may be a problem with our routine of taking our dogs with...

thanks in advance for the feedback..

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    People do it, but it most of the trails are not real wide and it is kind of annoying to have to get off because of a dog. On the other hand, I see more trail runners and unleashed dogs than bikers and dogs.

Another note is that in Millcreek Canyon (also close), dogs are required to be leashed on days that you can bike on the trails (at least those worth riding). In Big and Little Cottonwood canyons, you can't even take your dogs because it is watershed area. You'll get a ticket if you get caught.

I don't know too much about Park City riding and dogs. I've seen them on Flying Dog and that trail is plenty big enough for bikers and dogs.

mtbr member

Ahh, the Wasatch...

Leaving Sun Valley for any place is a tough decision but life in the Wasatch is truly remarkable...

All in all, I would rate the singletrack in SV as better than what the Wasatch has to offer. SV is unmatched IMO. That being said, riding in the foothills (Shoreline etc) is outstanding and rideable practically year round on occasion. The well designed trails, easy accessibility and views are great. They far exceed anything that Boise has to offer, no offense to Boise. The riding in the higher elevations of the Wasatch is amazing. The network around in and around the Crest trail and the ever growing network on the Park City side is fantastic - nearly on par with SV. As far as dogs go, I always encourage leashes myself. I love my dogs, have two of them but a loose dog on the Shoreline for example, can be hazardous, especially on a weeknight or weekend ride...Certain trails near and around the Crest will not allow for dogs because of the Big Cottonwood watershed. The point is, riding with dogs in that area is relatively friendly I guess but always a hot stove issue and not advisable IMO.

Skiing. The Wasatch is the standard, no doubt about it. The local areas and accessibility to the backcountry have no equal. There is not a lot else to say about it - it's simply the best place to ski IMO.

All of the neighborhoods you mentioned are solid. I used to live in Salt Lake and lived on the East Bench near the University of Utah - I could open my front door and be on the Shoreline trail in about ten minutes or be to Snowbird in about 35 minutes, give or take depending on how much snow was falling that day! If I was ever to move back I would likely live in the Avenues area. You should expect a certain sense of culture shock coming from a resort town but it sounds like you're looking for a change anyway. There is a super active outdoor crowd there, similar to what you typically find in places like SV or Park City but then you also get the suburban crowd that literally doesn't even realize that they live in, well, skiing paradise. That's a good thing though.

Good luck in the search, hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You are never legally allowed to have an unleased dog on any of the slc area trails. Leashes are required on the BST, but people ignore the rules all the time. Millcreek allows dogs off leash, but only on the days no bikes are allowed. Big and Little cottonwood are the Dog Gestapo and will put you in jail. So thats the rules, but people ride with dogs all the time.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Dr. Pepper drinker
    The SLC area is wonderful for everything except riding with a dog. Between the watershed restrictions and overcrowded trails it's just not a good idea in my book, that's not to say plenty of people don't do it. I think the Park City area and Uintas are a little more condusive to riding with dogs but typically I just settle for hiking with her and riding without. I think training a dog to run just off your back tire would be most important around here, letting them run out ahead is putting them in harms way, most the trails are too high speed with too many blind corners to be safe for them or the other riders.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    thanks everyone for the feedback.

i figured there would be restrictions for dogs....and for good reason (given how crowded some of the trails may be).

and for us...that's a huge part of all of our decisions.

idaho is a great place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I ride with my dog

I have a dog similar to yours and understand that sometimes it takes a good ride to wear him out. It is getting more difficult to find places to ride with my dog. I really like the shoreline trail, but in the spring its to crowded and the summer its too hot. I started riding with mine at night on the shoreline and it seems to work better for everyone. Mueller park in Bountiful is a fun one (several water crossings/drinking opportunities for the dog) as well as many of the trails in Park City/Deer Valley which I have never had any problems taking a dog on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would have to agree Shoreline trail and Mueller Park are good ones for to bring the dog's along. I like to take my dog out late in the evening or after dark when it's less crowded. Couple of knog lights on his collar and I can see him even if I get too far ahead or behind him. Good Times. There is a great dog park at the foot of Parley's too that is built into a ravine. Some walking trails and some vegetation helps keep the dogs from winding one another up like at a typical open field dog park.

mtbr member
    What part of SC are you from???
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    What part of SC are you from???
    columbia. center of the arm pit.

no place like home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ft. Collins, CO

You might want to check it out. Several trails along the Poudre are open to mountain biking and dogs off leash, legally! Took my Pointer there last summer. Good sized, progressive community and Fat Tire brewery. Denver and Boulder are not far away with as many shows as you could ever wish to see.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am a dog lover but I don't feel like the admittance of dogs on a trail is unwise. Not that most dogs are a problem but the few that are tend to ruin it for the rest of them.

Unfortunately, with the watershed rules, the canyons are basically off limits.

Tanner Park is now the "unoffical" dog park. I grew up down the street, literally, and spent most of my childhood there. Dogs used to be allowed on a leash and it was better. Now, they are free to roam. Sometimes, it seems like you can't ride, shoot the tube or walk without the hassle of dealing with someone's dogs. I know that most of us are responsible pet owners and can control our dogs but like I stated above, those who cannot keep pets in control make us dislike the majority of them.

On the other hand, there are other great rides that would be great for dogs that don't stray too far from their owners. I would ride thetrails first and make a judgement call from there.

Members who have read this thread: 0