Rider Mel's Guide to Moab???- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Rider Mel's Guide to Moab???

Going to Moab in June, I'm reading rider Mel's book, It makes for a good read at work buy the way, On his trail description he has time, grunt factor, techno factor, heat, etc. Are these accurate descriptions?
    On the time of Porcupine Rim, Mel has the time at 3-6 hours. How muck time is does it take if you start at the Stock Tanks near the top, 3-hours?
    Mel has the grunt factor at 10, is this if you climb up from town or start near the top?
    For those of you that have rode this trail, where did you start and how long did it take?
    All info is appreciated,
    Thanks.

Isisrider

Rider Mel's book

I have rode around Moab quite a few times, and I just purchased Rider Mel's book last year for some fun reading. It is a fairly informative and entertaining book. He is pretty much right on for most of the rides. You can ride Porcupine from the tanks and back into town in 3 hours no problem if you don't stop to long or take to many pictures, if you are a fairly good rider. I would say his grunt factor of 10 is from town. I have rode this ride both from town and shuttled up to the tanks. Everyone should do it from town once just to say they did, but save your time and legs and ride something else the same day, unless you don't want to shuttle or can't. It is about 8-10 miles of dirt road if I remember. If you park at the tanks it is only about a 2-3 mile climb, but one of the funnest climbs(IMHO) in Moab. It is not that steep of a climb just technical, but extremely fun. Time wise I have done Porcupine from the tanks and road back to camp @ south end of town in 2.5 hours, about 23-25 miles. It has taken us about 3-4 hours to ride from camp, in town, and back, about 33-34 miles.
    Isisrider

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I like the book, times were long for us.

When we went it seemed like we finished all the rides in less time then the book describes. On the other hand it didn't seem like anybody was passing us, so I guess it depends on how fast you ride.
    TEX

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by texas
    When we went it seemed like we finished all the rides in less time then the book describes. On the other hand it didn't seem like anybody was passing us, so I guess it depends on how fast you ride.
    This is a good thing. Were you passing other riders? I am trying to get a plan together for our rides, Iike a long ride in the morning and a short ride in the evening. What trails did you ride and how were they?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

we were passing plenty of people.

Some of the trails had more people then others We went during the second week of May.

We went on Amasa back, Porcupine Rim,Slickrock , Sovereign , Kokopelli and Two Tortoise Rock.

Amasa back was nice! We rode there from town. If you want to save some energy drive to it.

We really liked Porcupine Rim so when we did Kokopelli down we took it to Porucpine which was lots of fun. I think when we went the kokopelli trail had just opened so it depends on when you go. If you go later in the season you can go on what's called the whole enchilada which starts higher on the mountain. Highly recomend one of these if you can.

Slickrock was very stange, kind of scary but lots of fun.

We like Sovereign but ended up on the "HATEFULL NASTY SANDY JEEP RD" TO avoid that I recomend you take Willow Springs Rd. There is a parking area there and from there it's easy to figure things out. We puttered around on the slick rock at the North end of the trail and that was lots of fun.

Two Tortoise we did on the last day and it was my least favorite and we missed a turn so we were a bit worried that we would miss our flight. That is the only ride we did that I would probably not do again.

Last year we did just 1 ride a day and then did some hiking and checked out the parks for the rest of the days. This year we are planning on doing 2 rides a day, and are going to spend some time in Fruita as well.

When are you going?

Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar
    This is a good thing. Were you passing other riders? I am trying to get a plan together for our rides, Iike a long ride in the morning and a short ride in the evening. What trails did you ride and how were they?
    Thanks.
    TEX

mtbr member

whole enchilada

we are coming to Moab (again) at the end of march. I have recently heard about upper and lower singletrach porc rim. How much of that will be ridable when we are there. I have heard upper ( i think also called kokopelli) might still be too wet.

thanks for the info
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

Jan 2006
    We're going in June after school's out. It may be hot eh! The issue with Kokopelli being too wet or too early, is this because of the high altitude and snow? Will it be ridable by June. Is a shuttle available to Kokopelli? If it's too hot riding in the desert is there heat releif in the La Sals?
    Thanks for all the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

We went during the second week in May.

When we went in the second week of May Kokopelli had just opened and was a bit wet and yes its from the snow at higher elevations. I would guess that in June you could do the whole enchelada which takes you up higher up the LaSal mountain, or Kokopelli.

As far as shuttles , yes there are shuttles but less of them. It's a much longer drive so they charge more and have them at a scheduled time(s). I would guess that in June this would be a popular thing to do so there may be more shuttles. Your best bet is to find out the day before when the shuttles are scheduled.

As far as the heat in June I don't know as I haven't been there in June. I suspect it gets kind of hot in the afternoon. If you can get an early start on your rides you should be fine in the morning on all the rides. If it seems too hot in the afternoon you should be able to find some trails in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar
    We're going in June after school's out. It may be hot eh! The issue with Kokopelli being too wet or too early, is this because of the high altitude and snow? Will it be ridable by June. Is a shuttle available to Kokopelli? If it's too hot riding in the desert is there heat relief in the La Sals?
    Thanks for all the info.
    TEX

Members who have read this thread: 0