Restaurants in St.George area- Mtbr.com
    should know better.....

Restaurants in St.George area

Looking to improve on our previous dining experiences in St. George. i.e. Outback, some Mexican place, etc.
    Any really good choices? We don't mind spending for quality. As a comparison, our favorite in Grand Junction is Il Bistro Italiano.... We are not snobs, we'll hit brew pubs and eat pizza as well, but are all able to appreciate some fine foods, and enjoy treating ourselves when on vacation.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

I'd rather be biking...
    My Wife and I quote often visit a place called "Haven" Its a nice American cuisine restaurant. All the food is done all fancy and I think really good and is actually a pretty good deal. Not expensive at all. No dress code but don't show up in your stinky riding gear. Two fat guys pizza, Pasta Factory, Pizza Factory is all good pizza and Italian, Benja: Thia and sushi and Samurai 21(hibachi) are also local favs for oriental.
    Im a total sucker for Texas Roadhouse though

Dont know if you will be up by Zion this trip but there are quite a few good resturants up in springdale: Pizza Noodle, Bit and Spur (mexican), etc.

Bored Carp
    If Springdale is in the mix, it is hard to beat the Whiptail or the Bit and Spur. Both Mexican food, both reallllllllllly good. The Habanero Creme Brulee at the Whiptail is insane.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    I'm not the St. George food guru; but, this is what I do know.

PIZZA FACTORY (BBQ chicken pizza and bread twists) in Ancestor Square. My wife and I eat here at least one night every time we're in town.
    CAFE RIO (Salad or Burrito with shredded pork) on St. George Blvd. If you've never eaten here... you must. Get something with Pork, it's sweet and delicious.

If you want to make the 40 minute drive to Mesquite NV, PLAYOFFS SPORTS BAR & GRILL (Baby back ribs) on MESQUITE BLVD. These ribs, in my oppinion, are the best anywhere.
    DON PEDRO (Enchiladas a la crema) on the very south end of Valley View Dr. near Green Valley. It's decent mexican, I just really really like these enchiladas.

Trendy or not, I love IN-N-OUT BURGER on Telegraph Street in Washington.

If you've never eaten at Cafe Rio, I'd put it at the top of your to try list. If you like BBQ pizza, I'd put Pizza Factory next.

should know better.....
    Anyone have experience at Painted Pony?
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    The Painted Pony is good. I would also highly suggest The Cosmoplitan Restaurant near Leeds, by far the best!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Haven is pretty cool try their donuts, they also just opened a Brick Oven Pizza which I think is better the Pizza Factory (and not as overpriced). If you like sushi Benja Thai is really good. We don't have a whole lot of restaurants that aren't the usual chains (ie applebees, texas roadhouse, etc)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Painted Pony was great

I'd rather be biking...
    I second a pork burrito from cafe rio. We almost always hit that place up after group rides!

should know better.....
    Hey everyone, thanx for the responses. Real actual responses!!
    Keep 'em coming....
    Painted Pony looks like it will be on the list.
    As for the Cosmo, where is Leeds?
    We'll be in a condo in Green Valley, Los Palmas at Green Valley resort. Barrel, Bearclaw and Zen right out the back door
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Keep 'em coming....
    We'll be in a condo in Green Valley, Los Palmas at Green Valley resort. Barrel, Bearclaw and Zen right out the back door
    Don Pedro's is right out your door, if your that close you gotta do it. It is also far enough off the beaten track that you can get in any time.
    If you want an upscale outdoor experience try Xetava Garden in Kayenta. 15 minutes from GV.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Bent fork on north bluff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Keep 'em coming....
    I just rode Bearclaw last Saturday.... Those trails make me jealous!

The Leeds exit is between Hurricane and Toquerville, Exit 22/23. It is about a 20 minute drive from where you'll be staying. The Cosmopolitan has a website, not sure if I can post links or not but if so here it is: cosmodining.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Painted Pony is probably the best in town. Also a fan of Texas Roadhouse and Gun Barrel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For fine dining, I will second Staden's choices - either the Painted Pony or Cosmo.

mtbr member
    in addition to the places listed...Fairway Grill on St. George Boulevard is great for breakfast and the Honolulu Grill is the best for awesome Hawaiian food! I consistently am craving the Katsu chicken and mac salad.

Really I am that slow
    tenwetyfivemain is good although i think they put crack in their cupcakes

the other suggestions are good as well...

been pretty impressed with Barista's dinner in hurricane as well great ice cream and espresso post gooseberry or gem...
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

oh that Painted Pony

save the Painted Pony for a special night out, you won't know you're in St. George. $78 bucks later too! Quiet, well rated, a bastion of sanity in a chain food riddled fun town. Kayenta has a foodie/foo foo spot too, nothing special unless you're into the artsy scene but you won't get poisoned.

Forgot the name of the Internet Cafe near Smiths, open 7am, dark, dank, hippie posters on the walls, amateur night on Wednesdays, funky as hell, fine Internet spot to waste time...Jazzy Cafe? Speaking of Internet access kudos to St. Geo, you get high speed Net access free at the main library and the park next door.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Twentyfive Main Cafe & Cake Parlor,
    25 n main
    Saint George, UT

You'll love it.

I'd rather be biking...
    Forgot the name of the Internet Cafe near Smiths, open 7am, dark, dank, hippie posters on the walls, amateur night on Wednesdays, funky as hell, fine Internet spot to waste time...Jazzy Cafe? Speaking of Internet access kudos to St. Geo, you get high speed Net access free at the main library and the park next door.
    Jazzy java. They have really good food and good coffee.

I agree 25 main is also a great spot for lunch in the middle of town!

mtbr member
    All good suggestions. I'll second the Pasta Factory and Honolulu Grill but for island food I liked Parrot Head Island Broiler even better. I've heard great things about Cafe Rio but it's always so crowded when I stop by (a good sign, I guess) that I haven't gone yet. I've heard that Durango's Mexican Grill is very similar if not better and much less crowded.

If you're into pies or pastries try Krosha's behind the Pizza Hut on Bluff St. They also have good sandwiches. For seriously life-altering cinnamon rolls go to Grandma Tobler's Bakery in the Sunset Plaza on the corner of Sunset and Bluff. Wow! My mouth's watering just thinking about them.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    ^^^ Durango's is also delicious and has a similar style to Cafe Rio; but, is NOT THE SAME. The pork at Cafe Rio is totally different and delicious. If you find a Costa Vida, this is almost the same as Cafe Rio... Husband and wife split or something and one started Costa Vida using the same recipies.

should know better.....
    Thanx for all the replies! (much better luck asking about food than asking about local tire choice. Jeez....... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=561157 )
    Sounds like there is way more than we can hit in 4 days, but we'll give it a go!
    Thanx again, hopefully this can become a useful thread for others cruising through the area.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    For restaurants in St. George proper...
    1. Troy BBQ is the best BBQ in town. Everything comes sans sauce with an excellent smoke and then you apply your sauce of choice at the table.
    2. Pepper's Cantina is a great new sit down Mexican restaurant. You can't go wrong with Carne Asada or the Carnitas.
    3. Don Pedros is another sit down Mexican but I only go for the Carne Asada which is still the best in town.
    4. Pizza Factory is much better pizza than Training Table IMO. Their bread sticks are insane. Get them for desert with the cream cheese cinnamon dipping sauce. 2 Fat Guys Pizza is also excellent and is more of a NY style thin crust pizza.
    5. Cafe Rio is a great post ride Tex Mex joint. Can't go wrong with anything on the menu but I'm partial to pork burrito, steak tacos, grilled chicken salad.
    6. Mojo Underground is a new coffee shop. They roast their own beans. Excellent. Try the Mojo Latte. They're very near the trail head of Bear Claw and Barrels if you want to chill before or after a ride.
    7. TwentyFive Main Cafe & Cake is great for breakfast or lunch.
    8. Anasazi Steakhouse has the best steak in town and has an upscale atmosphere.
    9. Scaldoni's is a nice Italian joint. Great filet mignon. Upscale.
    10. Basila's is a nice quite Greek cafe.
    11. Marv's is the best burger in town.
    12. Painted Pony is excellent, but plan on shelling out $30-40/person. Upscale.
    13. Parrothead Island Broiler is another excellent post ride choice. They also have one in Hurricane if you on your way back from Gooseberry.
    14. Benja's Thia & Sushi is a favorite of my wife's. Try the Drunken Noodles.
    15. Samari 21 is run by the same family as Benja's. Sushi is the same but instead of Thai it's Japanese Hibachi.
    16. Nielson's Frozen Custard is the best frozen desert on the face of the planet.
    17. You also have several national chain restaurants Olive Garden, Chile's, Outback, Texas Roadhouse, In-N-Out, Five Guys Burgers, Applebee's, Wingers, ect.

outside of St. George (and my two favorites if you have the time and the money)
    1. The Cosmopolitan in Leeds, Utah is excellent but you'll need to make a reservation.
    2. Parrellel Eighty Eight in Springdale, is also and excellent choice and the atmosphere and ambiance of Springdale just out of Zion NP can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    1. Troy BBQ is the best BBQ in town. Everything comes sans sauce with an excellent smoke and then you apply your sauce of choice at the table.
    2. Pepper's Cantina is a great new sit down Mexican restaurant. You can't go wrong with Carne Asada or the Carnitas.
    Where are these two located, Ron? They sound really good.

13. Parrothead Island Broiler is another excellent post ride choice. They also have one in Hurricane if you on your way back from Gooseberry.
    I think they closed the one in Hurricane.... or at least they moved it because it's not in the strip mall where you guys took me after Little Creek Mesa a couple of years ago.

The one in Bloomington near the Wal-Mart is still there though.... right?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    3. Don Pedros is another sit down Mexican but I only go for the Carne Asada which is still the best in town.
    4. Pizza Factory is much better pizza than Training Table IMO. Their bread sticks are insane. Get them for desert with the cream cheese cinnamon dipping sauce. 2 Fat Guys Pizza is also excellent and is more of a NY style thin crust pizza.
    5. Cafe Rio is a great post ride Tex Mex joint. Can't go wrong with anything on the menu but I'm partial to pork burrito, steak tacos, grilled chicken salad.
    6. Mojo Underground is a new coffee shop. They roast their own beans. Excellent. Try the Mojo Latte. They're very near the trail head of Bear Claw and Barrels if you want to chill before or after a ride.
    7. TwentyFive Main Cafe & Cake is great for breakfast or lunch.
    8. Anasazi Steakhouse has the best steak in town and has an upscale atmosphere.
    9. Scaldoni's is a nice Italian joint. Great filet mignon. Upscale.
    10. Basila's is a nice quite Greek cafe.
    11. Marv's is the best burger in town.
    12. Painted Pony is excellent, but plan on shelling out $30-40/person. Upscale.
    14. Benja's Thia & Sushi is a favorite of my wife's. Try the Drunken Noodles.
    15. Samari 21 is run by the same family as Benja's. Sushi is the same but instead of Thai it's Japanese Hibachi.
    16. Nielson's Frozen Custard is the best frozen desert on the face of the planet.
    17. You also have several national chain restaurants Olive Garden, Chile's, Outback, Texas Roadhouse, In-N-Out, Five Guys Burgers, Applebee's, Wingers, ect.

outside of St. George (and my two favorites if you have the time and the money)
    1. The Cosmopolitan in Leeds, Utah is excellent but you'll need to make a reservation.
    2. Parrellel Eighty Eight in Springdale, is also and excellent choice and the atmosphere and ambiance of Springdale just out of Zion NP can't be beat.
    I think I need to get out more often. That's quite a list of places I haven't tried yet. Someone should make this a sticky...

should know better.....
    Wow. Thanx Crash. And others.
    Can't wait. I'll be there in two days. Woohoo!
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

mtbr member
    Let us know where you ate and what you thought when you get back.

mtbr member
    Troys is around the corner from the Temple.
    Taste of Asia is one of my favorite asian cafe places.

The Parrot Island broiler in Hcane closed down a bit ago. Dont know about the one in Bloomington.

Twenty5main makes killer salads. The big scoop and Bearpaw on main have great breakfast as well. I get crepes when i hit Bearpaw.

Ron is dead on with the Carne Asada burrito at DP's....there is one on telegraph now too in Washington.

I like Inta Juice, Emerald City and Orange Peel for smoothies.

Any one eaten at the Osaka place yet ?

I like the Indian Curry place at the outlet mall....but I order outside of what they have on the menu.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Steak and Seafood company across from Barns and Noble. Fantastic steaks and seafood.

In Springdale.... Oscars and Pizza Noddle are great. Bit n Spur is hit or miss IMO and they treat folks like cr#p too often. I have been there four times and three times had bad (or worse) exeriences. I was told that the two parties who cut in front of us were "locals, and we seat them first" by the manager. Geeze... guess I'll spend my local dollars at Oscars or Whiptail or Pizza Noodle two or three times a week.

IMO, spend your hard earned cash at Whiptail Grill or Oscars where they treat you like everyones a local and the foods better.

Lastly, the Lodge in Zion Canyon has very good food and sitting on the deck smack in the middle of Zion National Park is an awe inspiring dining experience. Lunche there is actually a bargin.

should know better.....
    Alright, I'm Back!! Great trip, a few unexpected twists, but a great time. Fun to be back, having been once before, it was nice to be familiar with the overall area, but be able to fine tune the experience.

So we ended up having two opportunities for nice dinners out.
    First night:
    Painted Pony. Excellent meal, very upscale and attentive service, atmosphere etc. Pretty dark, comfy tall backed bench around the table. The whole experience was worth the money, with drinks, three courses, and tip: $72.00 each for a party of 5.
    Second night:
    Scaldoni's: Best meal. I did have the Filet, and it was tremendous. another guy had the veal chop, meat falling off the bone. Also awesome according to him. We sat in the bar, watched the Yankees game, so very relaxed atmosphere, but top notch food. 4 of us now, multiple drinks, was about $68 each.

Lunch on day three:
    Oscar's in Springdale. Really good fish tacos and a great salad. World's fastest service by the way. Scary fast. apparently we arrived just before they were expecting to get hammered by big groups, and there were 4 chefs on duty, we think they were racing each other or something, because we got our meals in well under 5 minutes.

So, great food every chance we wanted, thanx to all for showing us the way!!!
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

Aug 2005
    Pizza Factory Pizza at any of the 3 locations is GREAT!

The Fairway serves great omlets and is on the BLVD

Also try Oscars in Springdale after riding the GEM trail.

Aug 2005
    Pizza Factory Pizza at any of the 3 locations is GREAT!

The Fairway serves great omlets and is on the BLVD

Also try Oscars in Springdale after riding the GEM trail. They have great food!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Texas Roadhouse is a staple if you want some delicous ribs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Texas Roadhouse is a staple if you want some delicious ribs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you're in a hurry. Roberto's (St. George Blvd. 2 stoplights on the left east of the fwy) has really good and cheap burritos. Then continue down the street to get a sweet malt at iceberg (on left of street)

mtbr member
    Just drove through yesterday on my way home from Cali and saw they put in an IN-N-OUT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose
    Just drove through yesterday on my way home from Cali and saw they put in an IN-N-OUT.
    Been a while since you were here??

mtbr member
    It has been a while.

Members who have read this thread: 0